Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #1

3D photography

When I was young, I seem to remember a camera that had dual lenses (perhaps it was three) that apparently created a sort of 3D photo. I was not able to get one, but now I see smartphones with sort of the same idea. I was wondering if anyone here has dabbled in that and if it is even possible with my Pentax? Just the idea of creating a 3D photo seems like fun.

10-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Forum Member

A few times I've seen someone running around with two small point & shoot cameras mounted side-by-side. They told me they were doing stereo shots when I asked.

Zerene Stacker also does synthetic stereo from a stack, but I haven't tried it yet.

stacker:docs:syntheticstereo [Zerene Stacker][]=3d
10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #3

I think stereoscopic cameras have existed for a while but the most modern one I'm aware of is the FinePix Real 3D W1 & W3. You can get various adapters for DSLRs but I've never used one to know how good they are e.g. Kúla Deeper | Kúla 3D
10-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
A few times I've seen someone running around with two small point & shoot cameras mounted side-by-side. They told me they were doing stereo shots when I asked.
My Dad used to do that.

Even easier (for static scenery): Take a picture, then step sideways 6 inches to a few feet, depending on how much stereo effect you are hoping for and take another shot. I did this a few times with slides and it worked. I haven't tried it with digital - need to do that. You can easily (and cheaply compared to slides!) experiment for effect.

10-07-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a technique called Cross View Stereo and explanatory references for it are readily found on the web. Basically use any camera to take two images of the same subject, offset from each other a little. Here's one of mine - with your eyes about 9 to 12 inches away from the screen, look down your nose towards it to help you go cross eyed. The two images should become three and if you can then concentrate on the middle one it should pop into 3-D. Great fun but needs practice.

10-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Twin lenses are needed for moving objects - requires good synchronization. Taking two images with the same camera gives the same result for static objects. The distance between the cameras defines the stereo angle - parallax. The further away an object you want to see in stereo, the wider the base you need. Move a 50 mm just 65 mm between images and you get similar stereo as from your eyes. Good stereo at 2-4 m distance maybe.
Now you need a stereo viewer.... or add-on.

Last edited by zapp; 10-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.
10-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
10-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Actually, there's a great program for those interested in 3D called StereoPhotomaker. It's freeware (but you can donate) and it handles a lot of 3D worthy material to make 3D jpeg type files. Two photos can be combined from one (2 photos taken from different angles) or two cameras, a single camera with two lenses (e.g. the Finepix Real 3D mentioned), or even two files taken with digital or film (scanned images)) cameras to produce what is called an mpo file. This is a file which can be read by most jpeg readers as a 2D image, but devices like 3D televisions will recognize an mpo file and show a 3D image on their display (you need 3D glasses of course). The Finepix Real3D camera produced mpo files directly but most of the time, the two images needed some processing in a program like StereoPhotomaker and then re-encoding into an mpo. More recent versions of StereoPhotomaker allow you to take a 2D photo and combine it with a grayscale depth map to produce a simulated 3D image. A very cool little program!!

Grandma's wood 3D viewer has morphed into a digital 3D capable display and 3D photography is very much alive today.

There are a few (well, several) things to be learned about taking 3D photos and a lot can be found on the internet.

StereoPhoto Maker (English)

PS: StereoPhotoMaker also outputs images in relaxed and cross-eyed format, as well as bi-color (analygraph) 3D images so you don't need a 3D monitor to use it.

Last edited by Bob 256; 10-08-2019 at 11:26 AM.
10-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #9

Panasonic launched a 12.5mm F12 3D Lens for 4/3 bodies about a decade ago, perhaps this is what you remember?
But, if I recall correctly, the images that it produced were intended to be viewed on 3D tv (back when 3D tv's were still being made). As for Pentax, there's no special Pentax specific 3D equipment that has been made in the last ten years; but, you can absolutely do 3D photography with a Pentax (as you can with any other brand).

The links other posters have dropped above are a great place to start!
10-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Panasonic launched a 12.5mm F12 3D Lens for 4/3 bodies about a decade ago, perhaps this is what you remember?
I believe that it was a major brand, perhaps Kodak.

---------- Post added 10-07-19 at 02:43 PM ----------

Thanks Bob256 for that information. I will look into that.
10-07-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
The two images should become three and if you can then concentrate on the middle one it should pop into 3-D. Great fun but needs practice.
Nicely done. It has been a while since I've looked at a steroscopic impage so it took me a while to get the eyes to do that but it turned out quite nice. Now I want to try it/
10-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
When I was young, I seem to remember a camera that had dual lenses (perhaps it was three) that apparently created a sort of 3D photo. I was not able to get one, but now I see smartphones with sort of the same idea. I was wondering if anyone here has dabbled in that and if it is even possible with my Pentax? Just the idea of creating a 3D photo seems like fun.

Pentax sold an accessory to do this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-stereo-adapter-49mm-52mm.html

This will create two side-by-side images in one exposure. Originally designed to be used with slide film and a ViewMaster-like viewer, but I’ve found it to work surprisingly well by viewing the pics with one of the inexpensive 3D viewers that you can put your phone in.

I also remember a Vivitar zoom lens that could create a pseudo 3-D picture (anaglyph) that could be viewed with red/blue glasses, but have never had the chance to try it:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-series-1-70-210mm-f-2-8-4-0-q-dos.html
10-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been dabbling with 3D (anaglyphs) for many years. My first digital camera back in 2003 was a Pentax Optio 33L which had a 3D function built in. It would expose half the frame, then have you move to the side, and then expose the other half. It also came with a 3D viewer you could use to view the resulting prints.

I picked up a Pentax stereo adapter last year but since its designed for a full frame 50mm lens it doesn't work too well on my APSC K3. Plus you can only use it in portrait mode.

You can use the 'cha-cha' method to create 3D images with a single camera as long as its a static image

Recently I've been experimenting with a dual *istDS rig for capturing sports, with limited success.

Its also possible to create anaglyphs from a single images using a depth map in Photoshop.

A few examples - dig out the red/cyan images

A real old one.

Using the dual camera rig.

And processing a single image

Its fun to play with....

Fred.
10-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I still have the Pentax 3-D lens adaptor for making two precisely spaced images to be viewed in the stereo viewer. This was for 35m film use. The FL of the lens was specified to be 50mm or very close to that, no more than 55mm. To get the same FOV with APS-C, of course a 35mm lens would be used instead. My FA 35mm f/2 has a 49mm filter thread size, as did the 50mm lens I used for the stereo adaptor. I have not tried doing any stereo with a DSLR because with film, the stereo viewer is designed to be used with slides.

I have some slides shot in stereo which are very impressive when viewed through the viewer.
10-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
I've been dabbling with 3D (anaglyphs) for many years. My first digital camera back in 2003 was a Pentax Optio 33L which had a 3D function built in. It would expose half the frame, then have you move to the side, and then expose the other half. It also came with a 3D viewer you could use to view the resulting prints.

I picked up a Pentax stereo adapter last year but since its designed for a full frame 50mm lens it doesn't work too well on my APSC K3. Plus you can only use it in portrait mode.

You can use the 'cha-cha' method to create 3D images with a single camera as long as its a static image

Recently I've been experimenting with a dual *istDS rig for capturing sports, with limited success.

Its also possible to create anaglyphs from a single images using a depth map in Photoshop.

A few examples - dig out the red/cyan images

A real old one.

Using the dual camera rig.

And processing a single image

Its fun to play with....

Fred.
Thanks for sharing that. I viewed your photos with 3D glasses and they look great.

Last edited by wings; 10-08-2019 at 07:31 PM.