Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

batteries in the K2000

My Pentax K-2000 uses 4 AA batteries. I typically use rechargeable batteries but sometimes put in single use batteries as a backup if the rechargeables have run down. But some brand new single use batteries don't work with my camera - it won't turn on. I haven't tested this thoroughly but it seems like store brand or off brand don't work but the major ones do.

Does anyone else have this issue? Can anyone explain why? They fit in the camera and make contact just fine.

Thanks

10-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by sak1364 Quote
My Pentax K-2000 uses 4 AA batteries. I typically use rechargeable batteries but sometimes put in single use batteries as a backup if the rechargeables have run down. But some brand new single use batteries don't work with my camera - it won't turn on. I haven't tested this thoroughly but it seems like store brand or off brand don't work but the major ones do.

Does anyone else have this issue? Can anyone explain why? They fit in the camera and make contact just fine.

Thanks
Rechargeable batteries often have a slightly lower voltage output than regular batteries.
10-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has to be a low current issue. That's why they're cheaper.
10-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AA lithiums work well, if you are willing to pay.

10-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K2000 and either use the rechargeable enloops or the energizer lithiums in it and haven't had a problem with either. When I first got it I used the duracell quantums but after a bit of testing found that for single use batteries the energizer lithiums were better.
10-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

It's well worth it to invest in another set of rechargeable batteries. Swap them when needed and charge the depleted set while using the other. In the long run you save money on what you spend for throwaway batteries.

I'd say you get what you pay for with off-brand batteries. Obviously something is substandard either in the chemistry or construction. They might even be "seconds" from one of the brand names that don't pass their QA.

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-07-2019 at 12:09 PM.
10-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Common place problem.

There are three types of disposable batteries commonly sold in the AA size in North America. From best to worst:
#1 AA Lithium
#2 AA Alkaline
#3 AA Zinc-Carbon "Heavy Duty"

As for AA recharables that list would be:
#1 NiMH (LSD) or low self discharge
#2 NiMH
#2 Ni-Cad

My first dSLR was a K-x which ran on AA as well. The Energizer AA lithium batteries that camera shipped with were awesome, but I was living and teaching in rural China at the time and had no luck getting lithiums from the local shops. Basically, the only batteries I could buy were Zinc-Carbon "Heavy Duty" batteries mislabeled as Alkaline, which wouldn't put out enough juice to run the camera. I ended up getting a set of Chinese made rechargeable AA's that would last maybe 3 hours on a single charge and then I more or less sucked it up and lived with these limits for the next year. When I got back to Canada I had a lot more choices.

The only AA rechargeable I've found that would reliably run my K-x in a way similar to Duracell or Energizer alkalines were made by Sanyo of Japan and called Eneloop and Eneloop Pro AA. These are NiMH LSD type batteries which don't lose charge while not in use; a problem that other rechargeable battery chemistry types suffer from. Now that my K-x is long gone, I still use these batteries to power my flashes.

That being said, if you got the cash, there's no beating the real thing! Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's and Duracell Lithium AA's are the best you can get, but priced accordingly.

10-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had trouble with rechargeable batts on the k2000 nor on the k-30 (via adapter) so it seems like the cameras don't mind the slightly lower voltage.
10-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another problem with cheap batteries is the frequency of buying a dud, or old and decrepit stock. I'm sometimes amazed at how crummy the (flat) batteries pulled from consumer electronics can be, but when my customers put cells already four years out of expiry in their gizmos and still expect them to work...
10-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of the older cameras had settings that you had to use to tell the camera what type of batteries were installed. Double check on that. I do tend to agree with the idea that buying a set of LOW self-discharge batteries and a set of lithium non-rechargeable for emergencies.
10-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I experienced similar results with my K2000 when I had it. Cheap alkalines would routinely show up on the camera as being half discharged, right out of the package and the would go flat in no time. I always got good service out of Energizer Lithiums and highly recommend them if you're going with a non-rechargeable battery. Eneloops or the AmazonBasics equivalent are the only way to go in any camera that takes AA batteries. I've actually given up on the proprietary batteries for my K30 and just use Eneloops. I've also found that AmazonBasics low self discharge NiMH batteries are a good alternative to Eneloops at a little over half the price. The black label ones are equivalent to the white label Eneloops and the gray label ones are similar to the black label Eneloop pros. There is even some speculation that the AmazonBasics batteries are actually re-labeled Eneloops but I can't confirm that.
10-08-2019, 05:11 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow! Great conversation.
Thank you to everyone for all your responses. The consensus seems to be that off-brand single use batteries are cheap junk.
10-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sak1364 Quote
Wow! Great conversation.
Thank you to everyone for all your responses. The consensus seems to be that off-brand single use batteries are cheap junk.
Pretty much. If you're going to use disposable batteries I'd stick with lithium batteries since those seem to last a fairly long while. I get a lot of mileage out of lithium batteries in my flash units, which are usually pretty tough on regular old AA batteries.