Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm. What do I sell, KP or K-3?? Change my mind!

Ok, so I have a two KP's (Black and Silver) and a K-3. Clearly overkill, so selling one body on to fund glass.

I was going to sell my Silver KP and keep the K-3, but on a recent road-trip I took both of them along and pretty much consistently preferred my images from the KP to the K-3. The trip ranged from landscape to astro and also some at a haunted town with evening shots hand-held at high ISO.

I do have the KP grip to help mitigate battery issues and to have a spare SD card on hand (although my example is faulty and will likely be returned to the vendor under warranty in the next week or so).

I'm leaning to keeping both KP's until the K-3 replacement comes out.

So the K-3 (with grip) may be headed to the marketplace.Here's your chance for input - change my mind!!

10-11-2019, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what does the K 3 offer to you that the K P doesn't

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

if the K 3 offers something different than the K P

is the difference worth something to you ?

remember you will be keeping one K P

what is the advantage of having two of the same camera bodies?

I fail to see it note there are small differences between my K 3 and K 3 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.
10-11-2019, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Ok, so I have a two KP's (Black and Silver) and a K-3. Clearly overkill, so selling one body on to fund glass.

I was going to sell my Silver KP and keep the K-3, but on a recent road-trip I took both of them along and pretty much consistently preferred my images from the KP to the K-3. The trip ranged from landscape to astro and also some at a haunted town with evening shots hand-held at high ISO.

I do have the KP grip to help mitigate battery issues and to have a spare SD card on hand (although my example is faulty and will likely be returned to the vendor under warranty in the next week or so).

So the K-3 (with grip) may be headed to the marketplace.Here's your chance for input - change my mind!!
It seems to me that unless you prefer to use the K-3 w/grip to balance large lenses - that's what I do - you may indeed be better off with dual KP's.
10-11-2019, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

The K-3 has some of the weakest dynamic range out of the recent releases, even being a step back from the k-5. I think unless you need it specifically for something I'd drop the K-3 and stick with dual KPs. Even if ergos are a problem I think you'd be better off just getting the battery grip for the KP.

Personally I'd rather have a K-5IIs as a side camera over a K-3...

10-11-2019, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the burst rate, frames per second, if you need that then the K-3 is ahead, but I can imagine that the next model will have equal or better.
10-11-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the goal is to raise funds

which do you think would bring the most $
10-11-2019, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some good responses, thanks. Funds are not the overriding concern, so I'm not too bothered about the possible differential there.

If I go to, say, Bonneville Salt Flats for speed week, or an airshow, two bodies is a must with different focal lengths - I used to think K-3 for higher burst rate, but I've really not found that to be an issue with the KP. I suppose the top lcd and two card slots, but they are not really enough to sway me against better IQ and low light performance from the KP.

I use the bigger grip on the KP, the battery grip helps with balance for my bigger lenses.

10-11-2019, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I would think that the K-3 is 'ahead" only if
* you take lots of BIF or other photos in which the larger buffer of the K-3 is an advantage
* you regularly use the shoulder LCD to confirm your settings.

If neither of those conditions apply, I would quickly get rid of the K-3 - and one if the KPs - before the K-3ii replacement is announced.
10-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great points! Want to buy a K-3??

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
* you take lots of BIF or other photos in which the larger buffer of the K-3 is an advantage

If neither of those conditions apply, I would quickly get rid of the K-3 - and one if the KPs - before the K-3ii replacement is announced.
10-11-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I did a lot of reading and research and chose the KP, personally, to replace my battered K-5, and this is a great summary.
10-11-2019, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I purchased a KP specifically because I seldom need/want "high seed" shooting even on K-30, and I seldom go through even one battery.
10-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I got about 5 bucks and a stick of gum.
10-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Haha I'll pass

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I got about 5 bucks and a stick of gum.
10-11-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Your decision to hang on to the KPs sounds like a good one. The K-3 replacement is at least on the horizon now, so I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade relatively soon, if that's what you were planning to do regardless.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-11-2019, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well definitely keep the silver KP, because you know the new flagship will only be available in black!