Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
Unregistered User

I use fx3 for the preview function, since it's near the shutter button.

I've been tempted to drop some super-glue on that green button.

10-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I use fx3 for the preview function, since it's near the shutter button.

I've been tempted to drop some super-glue on that green button.
I am shooting in Av I have a feeling you can set the green button to do nothing :
10-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I use the green button a lot, like when shooting in Manual mode especially when spot metering. Makes everything very fast and efficient. Then again if shooting in "P" mode and I wish to instantly shift to Av or Tv by just selecting my choice of aperture or shutter speed, then reverting back to "P" with the green button. I rarely use my old "M" lenses any more- should sell them. But the green button makes for best functionality with them.

I've found by using the green button, it is the best way to be aware of its location and not confuse it with others, since its location does change with different model designs.

---------- Post added 10-18-19 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
You'll eventually get used to it. And you can speed up the process by practicing. Before the start of a session, lift the camera to your eye and focus on something, concentrating on using the proper button. Lower the camera and repeat a handful of times. After a few sessions it will become second nature. It's a takeoff from firearms practice to learn how to properly draw from a holster, remove the safety, establish a sight picture and dry fire (done with an empty firearm). It works.
That is a very interesting analogy! I can see how this is true for those trained in proper firearms use, and it can be a beneficial carryover for others as well. We certainly are "shooting" with our cameras, and the way to steady oneself is similar also.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-18-2019 at 11:21 AM.
10-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #19
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am shooting in Av I have a feeling you can set the green button to do nothing :
Someone else told me that, as well. So I tried it using the "button customization" menu options. But it doesn't work - turning it off as much as I could, I found that doing so causes it to revert to a default function of resetting everything to what it thinks would be the optimum exposure. If all I wanted was a snapshot camera with interchangeable lenses, I'd just keep the thing on "auto" most of the time. I hate that green button!

10-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Someone else told me that, as well. So I tried it using the "button customization" menu options. But it doesn't work - turning it off as much as I could, I found that doing so causes it to revert to a default function of resetting everything to what it thinks would be the optimum exposure. If all I wanted was a snapshot camera with interchangeable lenses, I'd just keep the thing on "auto" most of the time. I hate that green button!
I use manual lenses a fair bit so love it ....... When I am not trying to focus with it!
11-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
I have setup the fx3 button to exposure lock (exposure compensation is usually on the 3th dial)
(bbf, back button focus)
Good idea. I did not think about it, in fact I did not read in depth the user manual.
11-02-2019, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

See page 27 in the manual - in the menus, "Custom Image 5 - Button Customization 2 - E-Dial Programming" there are options to configure the Green Button for each exposure mode, over two pages. I've got it disabled in all modes except "Program" and "Manual", but you could disable it completely if you so wish

11-02-2019, 02:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the brief information on the object.
11-02-2019, 03:58 AM   #24
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
See page 27 in the manual - in the menus, "Custom Image 5 - Button Customization 2 - E-Dial Programming" there are options to configure the Green Button for each exposure mode, over two pages. I've got it disabled in all modes except "Program" and "Manual", but you could disable it completely if you so wish
I have gone around that barn a couple of times already, but since you say so, I'll try it again. But I think this is one of those areas in which the documentation is incomplete. (And I'm one of THOSE people who insist on reading contracts and instructions carefully and thoroughly before launching into anything.) I've found that it cannot be completely disabled.