Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D won't accept new Sigma lens?!

Help! My new Pentax K100D doesn't appear to accept a new Sigma 18-200mm (F3.5-5.6) lens that is designed specifically for digital cameras. The lens attaches to the camera without a problem but I get a flashing "Av" aperture priority signal. The same thing happens with my Pentax ist DL camera. The screen on top of the camera flashes "Av" constantly. Nothing I do seems to remove this Av indicator. Does anyone know why this happens?

03-03-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

could be a faulty lens. I had issues when I purchased a sigma before, it didnt give the body the correct aperture reading, and was not AF-ing

you might have to return it or send it to sigma

anything else it's not doing?

if it's doing it on 2 bodies, the more than likely it's the lens. i tried mine on film and the k10, both problems. give them a call, their service reps are pretty nice..
03-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"DC" means the lens forms an image circle to fit APS sensors only. (Plus some coatings to prevent reflection on the back element.)

Sigma does not have access to proper mount design. Companies don't like to give their mount workings away or else others will make lenses and sales of the original brand lenses would drop hurting the company. Canon is most notorious for this.

Third party manufacturers have to usually buy the brand name lens and dissect/reverse engineer to get at how the mount + electronics work. Usually its a hit and miss and everytime something new alters slightly for that mount, those Sigma lenses need to be sent back to Sigma to be "rechipped".

Maybe thats the case with your lens. Take it back to the place you bought it and explain the problem.

Wait, does your Sigma lens have an aperture ring? If it does, then keep the ring on "A" position and change the aperture on the camera via the back dial. cuz that might be the problem.
03-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is aperture ring set to "A"?

QuoteOriginally posted by jdpenk100d Quote
Help! My new Pentax K100D doesn't appear to accept a new Sigma 18-200mm (F3.5-5.6) lens that is designed specifically for digital cameras. The lens attaches to the camera without a problem but I get a flashing "Av" aperture priority signal. The same thing happens with my Pentax ist DL camera. The screen on top of the camera flashes "Av" constantly. Nothing I do seems to remove this Av indicator. Does anyone know why this happens?
Assuming it has one of course.

03-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
isteve beat me to it

QuoteOriginally posted by jdpenk100d Quote
First thing I thought was "I'll bet the lens aperture ring isn't set to "A". It's happened to me a couple of times, I'll put the lens on the camera and get the Av flashing, look at the lens and sure enough the lens is off of the "A" setting.

NaCl(check the simple stuff first)H2O
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
is it a grey market lens?

Thanks for your replies everyone. I bought this lens from Broadway Photo and I'm now suspicious it's a grey market Sigma lens that's incompatible with the new Pentax digital SLR's even though it's advertized as a "digital camera lens". Makes me mad because Broadway didn't advertise it as grey market and I thought the problem was with my old SLR. Now I have an expensive new lens I can't return and I can't use.
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

are you 100% sure it's grey?
and regardless of market, it should work, i have lenses back from 1998 from sigma that works fine with the k10. it's a faulty lens, period, even if you put that on an older film body i doubt it will work.

and why cannot you return it to broadway photo?

the digital designation is just an small tweak, it's optimized for digital use, but not specifically made, unlike the DA's
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

"Thanks for your replies everyone. I bought this lens from Broadway Photo and I'm now suspicious it's a grey market Sigma lens that's incompatible with the new Pentax digital SLR's even though it's advertized as a "digital camera lens"

i think u are way off with that one.. i have older sigma film lenses that work perfectly with my k100..

trog

03-04-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If it is a DC Lens it has no aperture ring

What is happening is the electrical contacts are not connecting properly, what you need to do is clean both the lens and body mount.