Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Heather,
You just have to check things out.
Once you click "buy it now" you'll see if the purchase qualifies or not.
I already know Cameta doesn't because they use a third party to check out.
Actually, quite a few do but I keep crossing my fingers. Otherwise, there's always Amazon at I think $833 plus the free shipping.
Although the kind poster on this site at $866 is a good deal with the extended warranty. But shipping isn't free!

10-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote

Pentax lets you ONLY shoot RAW, JPEG performance is rather poor if you want really good results, that's extra time spent with the computer, color rendition is not very good (sorry, everyone here! ). This can be corrected, but that's even more time.
Pentax k20d is different from k10d where the colour is stunningly good. In comparison to E3, E3 probably renders more saturated colour with great intensity. However, k20d gives that clarity of colour better than the "sticky" colour from E3. Just my 2 cents given my limited experience with E3 on the weekend during a shoot out with olympus group.

lack of primes, nothing in the lens lineup like Pentax's Limiteds. Noisy at higher ISO, E3 is nice till ISO400, can be used at ISO800, everything above requires cleaning.
Olympus zooms are really really tiny and compact. The image quality is outstanding and there is hardly any quality control issues. I tried out 7-14mm zoom on the weekend and it is just an amazing lens. Crisp colour and sharp details. So little distorsion as well. It is so light and small and I doubt a prime is needed.

I have to say, olympus zooms are in deed great lenses where they make primes unnecessary luxury items.

One thing to note is that Olympus bokeh are generally not so good. Spetacular highlights are often too burnt out, colour can be desaturated like chalk similar to pentax Da limited. Since bokeh is not a selling point for Oly, prime is really not that important in this brand. Olympus 25mm f2.8 performs worse comparing to ZD 12-60mm f2.8-4 from wide open all the way to f8 including centre to corner performance...

Well, a prime for light weight but ironiclly not for quality...

And the last - IS. I don't know what IS systems is bult in K20, but E3's IS is surely much more powerful then K10's (GX-10). E3's IS gives you like 4-5 stops of light at FR up to like 150-200mm...
IS horizontally, IS vertically (good for panning) and IS horizontally vertically diagnonally...

Very useful IS for sure.
10-20-2008, 05:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Drawbacks as I see them - pentax lets you ONLY shoot RAW, JPEG performance is rather poor if you want really good results, that's extra time spent with the computer, color rendition is not very good (sorry, everyone here! ). This can be corrected, but that's even more time.
IMHO anyone slightly serious about their photography WILL shoot RAW, regardless of the camera's JPEG quality. You can also shoot in RAW+JPEG mode so you have you JPEG and, just in case, the RAW file is there too. So, to me, that's a moot point. Memory is so cheap nowadays there's no excuse not to.
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
IMHO anyone slightly serious about their photography WILL shoot RAW, regardless of the camera's JPEG quality. You can also shoot in RAW+JPEG mode so you have you JPEG and, just in case, the RAW file is there too. So, to me, that's a moot point. Memory is so cheap nowadays there's no excuse not to.
The jpegs defaults can be set "9 ways to Sunday" (that's slang for "many, many ways") so if a person can't find settings that pleases them, they haven't really looked. I know I didn't like my K10D jpeg defaults and it took me all of 5 minutes to adjust the default settings to something I liked. Then I shot raw+jepg to my heart's content.