Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax? Sony? Olympus?

Folks, I'm a newbie here but was thinking about making the jump over the Pnetax from Nikon.
While I like Nikon and Canon for that matter, I like the idea of built in image stabilization.
Was looking for some feedback on why Pentax would be the way to go over say an A700 or an E3?
One other reason that is starting to sway me over to Pentax is that there seems to be a wider selection of lenses both OEM and aftermarket over Olympus and Sony.
Thanks!

10-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rennwerkes Quote
Folks, I'm a newbie here but was thinking about making the jump over the Pnetax from Nikon.
While I like Nikon and Canon for that matter, I like the idea of built in image stabilization.
Was looking for some feedback on why Pentax would be the way to go over say an A700 or an E3?
One other reason that is starting to sway me over to Pentax is that there seems to be a wider selection of lenses both OEM and aftermarket over Olympus and Sony.
Thanks!
These are all very good cameras that you're comparing, so you're gonna have lots of fun with your choise. You should go to a store and hold all of them, to get an idea what feels good in your hand.
Pentax have more primes, where Olympus and Sony are more zooms.
Oly and Sony have more fps, but if you're new to DSLR, you can likely get by with the 3 fps with the K20.
The Zeiss lenses from Sony are not sealed, and, as I recall, neither are their other lenses so far.

What kind of photography do you plan on doing ?

(I'm on my way out the door, so I'll resume the post at a later time)
10-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm a sucker for anything that's well built and that's another reason why I moved over to Nikon from Canon. I like the weather sealed bodies. But their weather sealed lenses are hit and miss.
My "kit" was going to include either the 16-45 or 16-50 and the 50-135. Trying to keep things simple rather than have a dozen lenses. I also under stand that with the 16-50 and 50-135 I've got a completely weather sealed system. I like that idea. Even though I doubt if I'll use in the rain it's just nice knowing you've got the protection.
I don't need speed so 3 fps is fine.
10-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

One catch that's hard to realize at first is that with Sony and Oly, the bodies are cheap, but the lenses are much more expensive. With Oly, you get a bigger crop factor, more noise, and less DOF control. With Sony, you get harsher noise procesing, and no seaed bodies.

With Pentax, the "flaws" (such as they are) are a smaller lineup of zooms, a less than ideal live view, and you will hear complains about low light AF (but when people actually compare systems, you realize that's not quite true).

The perks of Pentax are the great primes lineup, the weather sealed bodies and lenses, the full support for ALL lenses ever made, film-quality processing (you might like that or not), a body that to me feels designed to take pictures, much more than Oly's bodies (I haven't used Sony's), arguably the best sensor around, full customzation.

Those are some of the reasons why I chose Pentax.

At the end of the day, all cameras can take good pictures, the user is usually the limiting factor. So I would advise you to go with a system that feels confortable to you, that "makes sense" (like built-in image stabilization, it just makes sense for me). Choose a system and not a body, and make sure you like the lenses offered. Also make sure you like how the company designes bodies, as a whole, because even if you change bodies a few times along the way, you will be stuck with one design philosophy.

Enjoy your new tool! And remember, anothe quality of Pentax is the friendly and helpful user base!

10-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't comment on sony, which is the old Minolta lens mount, and lenses, but there is one thing to consider with Olympus.

Oly is a 4/3 system, which has smaller sensors. This has 2 things to consider,
- the possibility of higher noise on an equivelent megapixel count due to smaller photo sites, but I will leave that one for the techies to argue.
- the crop factor, due to the smaller sensor is 2 ot 1.5 like pentax or the normal sony cameras. while this has advantages for wildlife and tele users, wide angle is very expensive. One of my favourite lenses is the sigma 10-20 zoom. For an equivelent field of view in 4/3 you need 7-14mm. While Oly make one, it costs as much as a K20D and sigma 10-20 combined. That, to me is a huge problem.
10-17-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Isn't Sony A200 a weatherseal body?

I quite like Olympus E-3 but it seems to be too bulky for me.
10-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
At the end of the day, all cameras can take good pictures, the user is usually the limiting factor. So I would advise you to go with a system that feels confortable to you, that "makes sense" (like built-in image stabilization, it just makes sense for me). Choose a system and not a body, and make sure you like the lenses offered. Also make sure you like how the company designes bodies, as a whole, because even if you change bodies a few times along the way, you will be stuck with one design philosophy.

Enjoy your new tool! And remember, anothe quality of Pentax is the friendly and helpful user base!
Yup, that's the bottom line when it comes to picture quality, the user.
But I'm a gadget freak so enjoy playing with toys!
Seems as though Pentax may be the ticket right now. Especially with prices for K20D's taking a nose dive right now.
10-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay, made my first step towards Pentax!
Just purchased an 18-55 Mk II lens! I figure it'll tide me over till I find a 16-50 or 50-135 that's priced right.
Now all I need is a K20D!

10-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Isn't Sony A200 a weatherseal body?

I quite like Olympus E-3 but it seems to be too bulky for me.
you mean A900? yes that one is, but no sealed lenses. kinda moot point

Just purchased an 18-55 Mk II lens! I figure it'll tide me over till I find a 16-50 or 50-135 that's priced right.
go for it! the prices now are very excellent!

---

for me when i started, i was in the same boat too. i wanted IS on all of my lenses. THe A100 didn't seem that attractive and i was really close to buying an oly e-510. but then the AA batteries and a good sale price swung me to the K100D. but also one of the reasons i got into pentax were the primes! although i started with the DA21 and FA35, i have all three limiteds and they're great. You won't find any lighter higher quality faster primes anywhere
10-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #10

Long time I was not posting here... But I kept reading...

Well, sice I used to have GX-10 and swithced to Olympus, I'll throw in my 2 cents...

My personal opinion on thee systems you are choosing of...

Pentax: Great built weather sealed camera, that can accept huge park of legacy lenses, some of which are fantastic deals. K20 has a really nice sensor, really great image details with top lenses. Drawbacks as I see them - pentax lets you ONLY shoot RAW, JPEG performance is rather poor if you want really good results, that's extra time spent with the computer, color rendition is not very good (sorry, everyone here! ). This can be corrected, but that's even more time.

Olympus: Great built weather sealed camera (E3) too. Very good quality of lenses, often the best or one of the best in lense's class. Tremendous JPEG engine, really no need to shoot RAW, gives you time to shoot instead of working with computer. Fantastic colors. Brawbacks: Old lenses can be used only in full manual, lack of primes, nothing in the lens lineup like Pentax's Limiteds. Noisy at higher ISO, E3 is nice till ISO400, can be used at ISO800, everything above requires cleaning.

SONY: The main advantage of SONY as I see it - nice distribution net, those cameras, flash units, lenses are available everywhere... BUT lenses are not that sharp OR very costy, no weatherproof lenses as far as I know. VERY agressive noise reduction, not very nice colors. Honestly I don't see any reason to buy a SONY camera...

And the last - IS. I don't know what IS systems is bult in K20, but E3's IS is surely much more powerful then K10's (GX-10). E3's IS gives you like 4-5 stops of light at FR up to like 150-200mm...
10-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

YAY!! Another one won over from the Dark Side!

Just in case you haven't seen this deal in the Marketplace, it's an excellent deal that also includes an extended warranty and a contribution to this forum.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/39662-new-k20d-...nty-860-a.html
I just need to sell my K10D and DA12-24 lens so I can get one of these.

Heather
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
. . . color rendition is not very good
Really? I hadn't noticed. I think the colors I get from mine range from not bad to smokin' depending on the lens I'm using and how wacky the light conditions are at the time of shooting. Maybe you should have used a different lens.
10-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Congratulations on your semi-choice of Pentax. A lens is a good start. Don't think you've given much up with the 18-55II, I've taken some nice landscapes with it, see below, and it's rated one of the best of the best kit lenses available. The only thing it lacks is the amazing wide-open performance of the DA* lens. And SDM focusing.

I chose Pentax because my father's camera at my age was a Spotmatic, and he recently gave it to me. After 20 years in a box and 15 chasing rock bands, it still works like a charm. Now, I don't expect to get that out of my K200D, being digital, but it really does feel well built and solid, and not like a plastic toy. Weather sealing for me was a big plus too, and I really like the top LCD too, which is rare in that class of camera (saves battery life greatly, I would imagine).
Attached Images

10-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm eyeing up an 18-250 lens that seems like a good travel lens.
Thanks for the tip on the K20D but am trying to see if I can swing a deal using MSN's cash back on Ebay. Hoping to get a 20D for about $600!
10-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you get it from Fleabay dealer, let us know because those of us in the market for one want to know which dealers are eligible for the MS cash back.

Thanks!
Heather