Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 01:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need advice

Hello to all. I want to get a dslr, possibly a k10d. My plan is to use the dslr along side with my pentax spotmatic 35mm.

I really need advice, should I get the k10d?? Or should I wait and get a future pentax model since the k20d price droped and that is a firm indication for what’s to come. The reason im not intrested in the k20d is cause it has alot more features that I just wont use. I guess lower light photography is better on the k20d but thats the only thing I would use. I like shooting 100% manual, even action shots so I think the k10d is perfect but again need some other sugjestions..................

. I also made up my mind on the lens ill get .........
Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro Autofocus Lens f/ Pentax AF SLR

I really like the versatility of that sigma lens.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by miniheli; 10-17-2008 at 01:37 AM.
10-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #2

You can still get a K10D for quite a bit less than a K20D, especially if it's second-hand. If you want to start as soon as possible, then get a less expensive body and don't bother to wait. Get a good lens or two, take thousands of great pictures, and get a better camera body in a few years time if you feel like it.

People may be selling their K20D bodies next year if Pentax introduces a (K30D?), but the K10D will be even cheaper then.

Also, that lens you are interested in is one of those "jack of all trades" types. Convenient I'll agree, but as you said, you liked shooting 100% manual. I don't mean to sow seeds of doubt, but is that really what you need if you're a manual shooter..? You may want to invest in some older K-mount manual primes instead.
10-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have upgraded from istDL to K10D and I am happy. I did not have the funds to go for K20D so instead I have decided on used K10D. That was a smart move because later I was also able to upgrade the kit lens with Sigma 17-70mm. Not so sure if I would be able to afford that upgrade after buying K20D. So like Spongefingers said, if you want to start right away get used K10D and focus on a good lens lineup.
10-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miniheli Quote
Hello to all. I want to get a dslr, possibly a k10d. My plan is to use the dslr along side with my pentax spotmatic 35mm.

I really need advice, should I get the k10d?? Or should I wait and get a future pentax model since the k20d price droped and that is a firm indication for what’s to come. The reason im not intrested in the k20d is cause it has alot more features that I just wont use. I guess lower light photography is better on the k20d but thats the only thing I would use. I like shooting 100% manual, even action shots so I think the k10d is perfect but again need some other sugjestions..................

. I also made up my mind on the lens ill get .........
Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro Autofocus Lens f/ Pentax AF SLR

I really like the versatility of that sigma lens.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated
Do you plan on using your old lenses on your new digital camera? With Pentax you can, but you'll need an adapter for the screw lenses. The K10D has some problems with accurate light metering with old K-bayonet mount lenses without the A-setting, this might be better with newer models (K20D, K200), but I do not remember any threads about that aspect.

Note that the K200 and the future (to be released in November) K-M/K-2000 are also interesting models. As suggested, a second hand K10 is also interesting, it is a very nice camera.

Regarding the 28-300, this will be equivalent to about 42-450mm on film, because of the 1.5x crop factor. Are you aware of that? The 18-250 (Tamron/Pentax) is perhaps more interesting, it depends on your needs. It offers the equivalent of a 28-375 lens on film.

10-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi all thanks for the replys.

"lso, that lens you are interested in is one of those "jack of all trades" types. Convenient I'll agree, but as you said, you liked shooting 100% manual. I don't mean to sow seeds of doubt, but is that really what you need if you're a manual shooter..? You may want to invest in some older K-mount manual primes instead."

Well it seemed like a nice lens, I see why it might not be. Im sort of a new photography student to be more specific, I’m only in photo 1. But I guess I might use the auto focus on that particular lens, I’m not sure if I will but I might. That "might" might make me purchase that particular model lol.

"Do you plan on using your old lenses on your new digital camera? With Pentax you can, but you'll need an adapter for the screw lenses. The K10D has some problems with accurate light metering with old K-bayonet mount lenses without the A-setting, this might be better with newer models (K20D, K200), but I do not remember any threads about that aspect."

Hmmm that’s a good question. I am quite positive I won’t be using my old lens on my new camera. I only have 1 lens for my spotmatic - F and that’s a 50mm/1.4 taukmar smc lens.

"Note that the K200 and the future (to be released in November) K-M/K-2000 are also interesting models. As suggested, a second hand K10 is also interesting, it is a very nice camera."

I haven’t done much research on those newer camera models. But from what I heard was that this line-up was more for a regular casual shooters? To me that means a whole lot of useless confusing modes ill never use. Also I know some in that new line up of cameras are a little bit smaller in size. I have a some what strange hand it skinny but rather large. I don’t think those newer camera will be easy to hold for me. Small is good for a dslr, but not to small.

"Regarding the 28-300, this will be equivalent to about 42-450mm on film, because of the 1.5x crop factor. Are you aware of that? The 18-250 (Tamron/Pentax) is perhaps more interesting, it depends on your needs. It offers the equivalent of a 28-375 lens on film."

I am not aware of the crop factor increase on the k10d. tomtor Thanks for telling me that I had no idea.