Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #1

Metering issues?

I was talking to an avid Pentax user and he said he tested several K20d's and had consistent metering problems with each one. Has anyone noticed the metering system being off on this camera? Thanks.

10-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, I would say it's as good or better than my other 3 cameras. I'd like to know what he's doing and how he's "testing". I hear these hints of Pentax metering issues once in awhile and put them down to user error 98% of the time.
10-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In six months i'VE HAD MY k20d, there was only one instance that the camera refused to properly expose a flash picture (with AF540FGZ). And it was ONLY on one particular situation. Other pictures (also with the flash) shot same day were perfectly exposed.

RB
10-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mchud Quote
I was talking to an avid Pentax user and he said he tested several K20d's and had consistent metering problems with each one. Has anyone noticed the metering system being off on this camera? Thanks.
In some specific situations, the metering is all over the place, but generally I can pin it down to what i am doing operationally and adjust accordingly. Overall, the metering is pretty accurate.
The exceptions are manual metering with pre A series lenses, which can be problematic.

10-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand how people say "this camera meters bad". Isn't metering all about "18% gray"?
10-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I don't understand how people say "this camera meters bad". Isn't metering all about "18% gray"?
The world isn't 18% gray.
10-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The world isn't 18% gray.
That is pretty obvious but I'm saying that all metering does is looking for 18% gray. So you have to learn how to use it and identify the times when overriding is necessary for attaining the exposure YOU want

10-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I've been down this discussion before. For any high contrast scenes, Pentax user complains "It's too dark" while Canonite moans "it blew the highlights"

Hint - For THAT scene, if Pentax ups the exposure, highlights will get blown, and if Canon bumps it down, the shadows will become more "shadowy....."

ALL cameras have their little quirks. I just got an Xsi as a backup to my 40D, and it seems to favor blowing highlights (compared to my 40D and my Pentax gear)....You just learn to understand how each camera reads various scenes and compensate (with "exposure compensation" )
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #9

What went wrong with this metering

I recently took some pictures with my K10 and kit lens. In the first photo I metered for the sky and in the second I just pointed straight and took the picture. It seems that if I am metering for the sky I am consistently getting underexposed shots? Why meter for the sky? I was trying out some tips from Understanding Exposure by Peterson and he mentions to meter for the sky as it gives best results. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Attached Images

10-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

Metering for the sky doesn't work in backlit situations like you have here. Most of the scene is in the shade and need a longer exposure than the sky.

When in doubt: Bracket and/or check the histogram and dial in some exposure compensation, then reshoot!
10-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

White clouds are not blue sky.

Meter clear blue sky pointed away from the sun. This will give the correct exposure for front-lit subjects.
10-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

weaponx525 > there are a lot of clouds in the sky you metered from and that's a lot of white stuff. in general, meters will darken the scene if there is a lot of white/bright stuff and the vice versa applies so if there are is a lot of black/dark stuff in the scene the meter will try to brighten the exposure.

this of course depends on what metering method you choose. if you choose matrix the camera will weigh out the whole scene and try to "average" it out, center-weighted will weigh out only the area nearer the center and same applies for spot metering. that "averaging out" is the so-called looking for 18% gray which is a "neutral" color.

each camera has its own characteristics though, because each one puts more/less weight in different areas of the area being measured/metered. for example, some cameras have different metering weight/sensitivity in the upper areas because they designed it to be the area for skies.

another example, my old nikon D80 would lean towards exposing for the dark areas more, and then people would always complain that "the D80 metering is bad, it overexposes". once i practiced and learned it, it didn't give me problems.

as for the K20D i find it to expose a little bit more to exposing/saving highlights. so in scenes where there is a lot of highlights it will try to save those highlights more than my D80.

after a bit of patience and practice, i learn to identify the situations where i need/want to use exposure compensation

hope that helps!

p.s. i always shoot center-weighted or spot
10-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #13

Thank you for the responses

All the responses are very much appreciated. I really hope that I am not flogging such an old topic. I will definitely try and experiment more with the K10 and metering different areas. I am a little disappointed I guess in the sense that Peterson states that "brother blue sky" will always be the most reliable spot to meter. In his pics even where there is a dusky, front lit or back lit sky, he recommends metering for the sky.

The reason that I am trying hard in learning metering is that I first and foremost do not have a lot of PP experience and would prefer to get it right the first time.

I have to say that for all the times that I did expose for a blue sky the main subjects that I do end up taking the actual picture of end up being on the underexposed end. If I EV compensate I run the potential of blowing out the sky.
10-21-2008, 12:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by mchud Quote
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D Exposure Inaccuracy and Inconsistency
10-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by weaponx525 Quote
I recently took some pictures with my K10 and kit lens. In the first photo I metered for the sky and in the second I just pointed straight and took the picture. It seems that if I am metering for the sky I am consistently getting underexposed shots? Why meter for the sky? I was trying out some tips from Understanding Exposure by Peterson and he mentions to meter for the sky as it gives best results. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
I have the same issues as you are with my K10. If still have to try what has been suggested here in this thread.