Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote

There is of course another answer, which is:

"I will never be able to afford such an expensive system", which is where most of us will be!
If i can justify it to the accountant and the board, and save and slave i would be able to get one :P

03-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, no. no, no more pros should use Pentax....I have enough trouble finding pancake and limited lenses as it is.

Actually I would love to get into MF photography with Pentax but the cash just isn't there yet. (Poor marketing on my part) If I had the money I think I could be happy with 18 mp on a MF back.
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
No, no. no, no more pros should use Pentax....I have enough trouble finding pancake and limited lenses as it is.

Actually I would love to get into MF photography with Pentax but the cash just isn't there yet. (Poor marketing on my part) If I had the money I think I could be happy with 18 mp on a MF back.
I'd be happy with a 12mp back for my MX !!!

I really don't think that I'll ever subjugate my years of experience to a mere electronic brain.
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'll take both...

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
The difference between an 18MP and 31MP 645D will not just be cost. In theory there should be little difference between the cost of the sensors as they use the same amount of silicon "real estate" and probably have a similar yeild in production. The difference in sensor cost is probably called profit margin!

There are many other significant differences which will impact the overall performance of the camera. If one considers two bodies having the same control set and processor, then, in the main, they would be as follows:

31MP v. 18MP
Lower dynamic range, approx 70dB v 75dB (Kodak's specs)
Poorer noise, approx 1 stop worse
Higher resolution
Slower operation, approx 1.0 fps v 1.5 fps (Kodaks specs for the sensor)
Longer write/read times
Bigger file sizes

At the moment the cost difference between the Phase One P21 and P30 backs, that use the same Kodak sensors, is around $5K with costs of about $12K and $17K respectively. If the same $ difference is expected, then a 31MP 645D will be circa $12K - $14K instead of $7K - $9K, i.e. almost double.

Therefore the answers to some basic questions are:
  1. I would be interested in a Pentax 645 system at 18MP for a similar price to a top end 35mm based system (eg 1DsMk2) with really good dynamic range.
  2. I would be interested in a Pentax 645 system at 31MP for about double the price of the top end 35mm system with really good resolution.
  3. I would potentially be interested in both if the performance was comparable to existing MF systems.
  4. I wouldn't consider a Pentax 645 system because I think other systems have more potential.
If Pentax can manage to build a 31MP 645D with a very small premium in cost of under $1K, then it boils down to the performance differences outlined above.

There is of course another answer, which is:

"I will never be able to afford such an expensive system", which is where most of us will be!
And a new mortgage!