Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #1

No need for the battery grip

I came from Nikon D200. Because of banding and rubbergrip peeling of, I got a good price on the D2x. I liked the vertical grip, but the camera was to huge an heavy. Then I bought the K10d. I like it much better for my use. Primarily this is macro-takings making a photo for sizes like 70x70cm, mostly abstracts. But that is not my point. The point is to make the camera equally comfortable to hold when shooting vertically. without the grip. And yes, I found a solution:

To make verticals:

Turn the camera 90degrees clockwise
Use your left eye (instead of the right)
Keep your right thumb on the AF-button on the back of the camera.
Use the middle finger on your left hand for the shutter realease, the usually used indexfinger on your right hend leaves the shutter realease and find some place in the groove between the lens and the handgrip.

Figure it out, and you get a better grip in vertical shooting, a lighter and more responsive camera and 200$ left in your pocket.

Cato

03-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I can... turn... the... camera???

I agree with your points that your camera is smaller, lighter, and $200 less w/o grip. However, for me at least the second battery, and the larger handhold area (even when shooting horizontally) is well worth it!

Just MHO of course, just as yours is yours.... I would tell people to try the grip, if they feel that makes it too big / heavy / unwieldy, then don't buy it! (oooooooo....)
03-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Hi Cato

Thanks for sharing the technique. I quickly pulled out my K10D and practiced a few shots. It certainly is better than the "classic" method of taking a vertical shot. Moreover, I found that unlike the "classic" way, both my hands are close to the body and are not "dangling".

Yes, for people that don't have a grip/not planning to buy one, this tip will, IMO, help obtain better vertical shots.

This, I'm sure, will augment SR a long way...

Thanks again.
03-04-2007, 02:20 AM   #4
Inactive Account

That's great but, compared to the hand over technique, i lose an extra 1/2 stop of hand hold ability by using your technique, which in total puts me about 1.5-2 stops behind what i would have either using the normal orientation or the vertical grip. SR irrespective of.