Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Pentax K-m (K2000) Designer's Notes

Quite an interesting series of interviews with the people behind the design and manufacture of the new Pentax K-m (K2000). Good insight into the thinking behind the development of the camera. Articles from the OK1000 Pentax blog.

Part 1
Pentax K-m/K2000 designer: Mr. Masaaki Haga

Part 2
Pentax K-m/K2000 mechanical designer: Mr. Tetsuo Hosokawa

Part 3
Pentax K-m/K2000 hardware engineer: Mr. Kiyoshi Yamamoto

Part 4
Pentax K-m/K2000 Product Planning Manager: Mr. Shigeru Wakashiro

I think it's great that Pentax has made an conscious effort to make the K-m a camera that's simple to use and got women to act as a focus group usability wise. Such input is good for those of us who are not always tech inclined.

10-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Quite an interesting series of interviews with the people behind the design and manufacture of the new Pentax K-m (K2000). Good insight into the thinking behind the development of the camera. Articles from the OK1000 Pentax blog.

Part 1
Pentax K-m/K2000 designer: Mr. Masaaki Haga

Part 2
Pentax K-m/K2000 mechanical designer: Mr. Tetsuo Hosokawa

Part 3
Pentax K-m/K2000 hardware engineer: Mr. Kiyoshi Yamamoto

Part 4
Pentax K-m/K2000 Product Planning Manager: Mr. Shigeru Wakashiro

I think it's great that Pentax has made an conscious effort to make the K-m a camera that's simple to use and got women to act as a focus group usability wise. Such input is good for those of us who are not always tech inclined.
Thanks for the link, makes for nice reading!

Looks like a group of very dedicated designers, I'm sure they will bring us many more interesting products in the future.
10-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
Interesting read, though I personally think for their targeted audiences, a soft curvy design might be more appropriate than hard angular lines, particular near the flash. This is subjective of course. I like the left side buttons being relocated on the right side of the LCD however.
10-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Damn Brit
Guest




Yeah thanks for the link, I like that they were thinking about women photographers when they were designing the camera. They seems to be the fastest growing segment of the market at the moment.

10-18-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Mike Cash's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,952
Maybe now we will be freed from comments about the camera not being designed for and targeted at women.
10-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Maybe now we will be freed from comments about the camera not being designed for and targeted at women.
That was their plan at least, but how it would be marketed outside Japan will remain to be seen. At least in North America, market a product toward women might deter many men from even considering it because of perception. My impression, after reading all 4 interviews, is that they didn't seem to conduct enough research outside their own company, but instead, relied on their own female staffs for opinions which might be bias. I wonder if it could be the reason some of their products were out of touch with the real markets.

Last edited by wlachan; 10-18-2008 at 01:26 AM.
10-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
maxwell1295's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,704
Good point. Just like guys won't buy certain cars, they probably wouldn't run out to buy a "girl's camera" either.
10-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 418
Is anyone concerned about marketing being targeted at women? That would totally ruin sales because men would cerainly not buy the camera, even if it is perfect for them.

Also, toy camera function looks good. Any chance of that for my k20d?

10-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrie, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 174
I love the prototype.


It looks like the prototype could be for the whole pentax line. Or am I the only one.
10-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #10
Kei
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
I love the prototype.


It looks like the prototype could be for the whole pentax line. Or am I the only one.

It looks more like the *istDL than the K-m
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, designer, dslr, k-m, k-m/k2000, pentax, pentax k-m, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photography Notes bonaprof Photographic Technique 1 05-25-2010 04:07 PM
Notes on converting to Nikon jensm Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 57 04-04-2010 08:05 AM
People Designer Alexis Mabille benjikan Post Your Photos! 12 11-14-2009 07:27 PM
musical notes for a spring drmartin Post Your Photos! 7 03-10-2009 10:58 AM
Notes from a 5D experience switters Pentax DSLR Discussion 50 12-18-2007 08:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top