Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My k200d at the State Fair of Texas

Hey All,
All the pictures below were shot on "auto" with ISO with the 100-1600 range in use. I had to lighten most of them quite a bit, I used the kit lens only. I can't really tell if it's the lens that underexposes or the UV filter I used. I would have tinkered more with the settings if I hadn't been with a group (hate it when they say "HURRY!!!" ) Think the pics are too saturated with color?, thinking about the ferris wheel shot and the gondolas with the clouds.. although I somewhat like the effect. Well, here are a few.

Barry

10-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think they look great. What are your settings for saturation in camera? Do you saturate in PP? The first one is very tricky because you are battling one hell of a back lit situation, but seems it turned out fine, no underexposure look to me.

Jason
10-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

nice photos barry ... like the ferris wheel a lot
i guess you don't have the DA* you show in your picture?

all pentaxes have tendency to underexpose. if you're shooting in the same conditions, it's worthwhile to do a few checks to set the right exposure compensation using the histograms before you go. that way, there's fewer corrections in PP
10-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding your question on saturation: No, I don't think your pictures are too saturated; I like them!

A UV filter cannot underexpose; it doesn't afftect exposure at all. If you find that the camera underexposes with a particular lens you can dial in some exposure compensation when you use that particular lens.

10-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Regarding your question on saturation: No, I don't think your pictures are too saturated; I like them!

A UV filter cannot underexpose; it doesn't afftect exposure at all. If you find that the camera underexposes with a particular lens you can dial in some exposure compensation when you use that particular lens.

I was gonna use the EV and go +1 , the originals were much darker and the vulture was heavily cropped since I didn't take my Sigma 70-300 zoom. Next time I go for a photoshoot, I'll go with another photographer they're much more patient. LOL I'll post a few more pics later

Barry
10-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most of the pictures you've posted have a higher proportion of light areas than dark areas (as in picture 1).
It is quite normal for most camera meters to be influenced by the brightness and underexpose. One of the pitfalls of auto exposure. Try using the EV compensation or bracket your exposures.
10-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Nice shots. Not wanting to hijack your thread, but did you see "the barker?"
Attached Images

10-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Nice shots. Not wanting to hijack your thread, but did you see "the barker?"
Sure didn't but I did hear "Buford" perform,,, a Larry the Cable Guy" wannbee Here's a couple more pics, no PP this time except the "vulture and trainier" pic, heavily heavily cropped, great resolution, looks like it was taken with a nice zoom. BTW, the chicken fried bacon was a major letdown tasted like bacon flavored batter.

Barry

10-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

[QUOTE=shutterpuppy;370503]BTW, the chicken fried bacon was a major letdown tasted like bacon flavored batter.

I agree!
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, it looks like everyone had a good time, at least.
10-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Playing Around With The Gondola Pic

Think B/W in PP is the way to go with that pic? Can't decide myself

10-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
Forum Member

Picture 4 and 5 has a dust speck on the left side.
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Let's take a look at the first shot. Now remember, each exposure can have only ONE "exposure" (combination of ISO, shutter speed, f-stop) which determines how much "light" hits the sensor (or film). You were concerned that the gondola was too dark. OK, how would the camera make the gondolas brighter? It would increase the exposure (let's say you're in Av so f-stop and ISO would be fixed) by keeping the shutter open longer. Now the gondolas are brighter. yay! But what happened to the blue sky? uh oh....It's blown out

The camera has a very limited dynamic range compared to our eyes/brain and the meter tries it's best to "average" the entire scene. In high contrast scenes, something has to give....Pentax metering tries it's best to preserve highlights (hence the beautiful sky, dark gondola).... Canon tends to meter a bit brighter.

After shooting for awhile and evaluating shots, you'll get a feel for this.

EDIT - Looked back at the shot, and the sun behind the clouds was the most likely culprit for why you got the exposure you did.