Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #31
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's actually a good point. My parents never have any idea of what to get and don't like giving just money. Maybe I can somehow convince them to give me a couple Christmases worth of presents all at once... lol

11-07-2019, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

A modestly-used, well-kept K-5 IIs and a DA 18-135mm WR lens, with its fine zoom range, fine quality imaging, and WR construction will make for a happy camper when shooting son's soccer games. It will produce fine results for the other needs expressed as well. The free 50mm prime lens so generously offered would make for a very suitable portrait lens to boot.

Such an outfit would bring satisfaction for a very long time, as it has been doing for so many.
11-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #33
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
While I originally was trying to stay under $200, (and trying for closer to $100 which is why I was looking at the K10 and such) for a great deal that's not too far over budget, I could possibly manage to bump it up. And if something comes up and I have to put off buying until after tax season, I can probably toss more money at it then too. So I'm not opposed to suggestions that are over budget, just prefer them under budget. (At least, I hope I get enough back from taxes that raising my budget is feasible.)
11-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #34
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I almost snagged a steal on a K-3 and a pair of WR lenses, a few batteries, tripod and some other odds and ends. But I bid conservatively and didn't get it. Someone got a heck of a deal as it was under $150. I knew I should have increased my max bid, but I was out and busy with the Scouts when the auction ended and didn't get the chance.

11-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I almost snagged a steal on a K-3 and a pair of WR lenses, a few batteries, tripod and some other odds and ends. But I bid conservatively and didn't get it. Someone got a heck of a deal as it was under $150. I knew I should have increased my max bid, but I was out and busy with the Scouts when the auction ended and didn't get the chance.
It does take more patience and some luck, but I have been seeing a lot of these end for really good prices lately. That would have been a killer deal. Even an inexpensive K-5, like others have been saying, would be awesome. And you can always get a better deal when people throw in lenses.

Good luck!
11-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #36
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
And you can always get a better deal when people throw in lenses.

Good luck!
Yeah, I was rather excited at getting a K-3 body, but even more so for the pair of WR lenses that was coming with it. If you're going to have a WR body, might as well have the WR lenses to go with it, right? I'll just have to keep my eye out for some more deals. And if nothing else, there are some members selling some nice gear in the marketplace as well.
11-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #37
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5s are in the area of $200 USD, but finding a K-5IIs for 50-75 more is the way to go if you can save a few dollars extra. it is an amazing camera, and a huge step up from the K-30/50 cameras. (IMHO, but the lack of AA filter on the K-5IIs is a big deal, and the build quality is notably sturdier.)
11-14-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #38
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that if going the K-5 route, that I should try and toss a couple extra bucks at it and get the K-5IIs. Or if I can find a crazy good deal on a K-3, I'll probably go that route. I'm still slightly tempted at going with a K10/K20, but I will probably not at this point in time.

Then there's the Q7/Q10 cameras. I find that really tempting. (I kind of prefer the Q7 body over the Q-S1.) I'm leaning more to the Q7 just for the larger sensor, but the Q10 would be a better camera than any I've used in the past as well. The ability to always have a good camera on me isn't something to sneeze at. I'd love a DSLR, I've wanted one forever, but I'll probably only be carrying it when I'm planning on taking pictures while the Q I'd be more likely to just be carrying and able to grab a picture of something unexpected that's going on.

But I still really want a DSLR. I'm both excited and terrified to find out what I will eventually do. lol

11-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that if going the K-5 route, that I should try and toss a couple extra bucks at it and get the K-5IIs. Or if I can find a crazy good deal on a K-3, I'll probably go that route. I'm still slightly tempted at going with a K10/K20, but I will probably not at this point in time.
That sounds like a great plan!
11-21-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #40
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just an update: I was able to purchase a K-7 with the SMC Pentax-F 4-5.6 35-80mm lens. It's seen some use, but should be in good optical condition. While not the perfect camera, if such a thing exists, it's a start. I'm hopeful that it's in as good a condition as it appears from pictures and statements. If not, I do have 30 days for a free return.

It should be here in time for Thanksgiving.
11-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Just an update: I was able to purchase a K-7 with the SMC Pentax-F 4-5.6 35-80mm lens . . . .
good for you

QuoteQuote:
. . . . While not the perfect camera, if such a thing exists, it's a start. . . .
oh oh, I see LBA and GAS in your future

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.
11-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #42
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
good for you
Thanks!

oh oh, I see LBA in your future
Well, even before I bought this, I tossed a bunch of "hope & a prayer" bids out on ebay on about a dozen lenses. Almost picked up a couple that I lost at the last moment. (One I lost by less than a dollar in the last 5 minutes or so.) Once I get the camera in hand and get to start shooting, I'll get a bit more comfortable with higher bids on glass as I'll be more sure of what I'm looking for in a lens. I'm also hoping 7.62lew still has that 50mm prime to offer.

While I know the lens I got with the kit lens, I'm fairly hopeful that it will be more than adequate for what I intend to do in the near future. By next soccer season, I'll hopefully have improved my (probably extremely rusty skills as I've not used even a P&S camera in several years) camera skills to where I can get a nice zoom lens to compliment some action shots. (Or maybe this one will actually work just fine for that, I've no idea at this point.) Right now, the major limiting factor isn't the camera or the lenses, it's me.

(Side note, I also still have I think 2 bids out on I believe an *ist DS and a K10d as I made them before finding the K-7... My oldest just bought a film P&S from Goodwill and might enjoy a nice fancy DSLR I suppose... lol Suppose I'll have to get at least once half-decent lens (probably a zoom) to keep on the body with them if I win... GAS and LBA, anyone know today's winning numbers?)

---------- Post added 2019-11-21 at 12:28 PM ----------

Very tenuously related:

I'll have to go and do a search, but as long as I'm here, how many people prefer using the battery grip with their cameras? Do you add it only in certain scenarios or always keep it on? Realistically this is probably answered elsewhere or at the very least, is better suited to a new thread. I've no experience with this sort of thing and figured I'd just toss this out here while I'm thinking of it. Nice thing is, I see the grip for the K-7 is the same one as the K-5 and I believe K-3 (I looked at it briefly last night and can't remember if the K-3 was the same or not) so if I do pick one up for the K-7, an upgrade to a K-3/5 will let me keep using it.
11-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I'll have to go and do a search, but as long as I'm here, how many people prefer using the battery grip with their cameras? Do you add it only in certain scenarios or always keep it on? Realistically this is probably answered elsewhere or at the very least, is better suited to a new thread. I've no experience with this sort of thing and figured I'd just toss this out here while I'm thinking of it. Nice thing is, I see the grip for the K-7 is the same one as the K-5 and I believe K-3 (I looked at it briefly last night and can't remember if the K-3 was the same or not) so if I do pick one up for the K-7, an upgrade to a K-3/5 will let me keep using it.
I love the battery grips on the K 3 and K 3 II and I always have it on the cameras

the K 3/ 3 II share a grip

the K 7 and K 5 series share a different grip

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
11-21-2019, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Just an update: I was able to purchase a K-7 with the SMC Pentax-F 4-5.6 35-80mm lens. It's seen some use, but should be in good optical condition. While not the perfect camera, if such a thing exists, it's a start. I'm hopeful that it's in as good a condition as it appears from pictures and statements. If not, I do have 30 days for a free return.

It should be here in time for Thanksgiving.
That should be a great learning experience for you - I started with the K20D which like the K-7 has a lot of external controls, so it makes you really learn to take pictures instead of just using auto modes.
The K-7 has the same sensor my K20D had, which is now dated and not nearly as good in low light as newer sensors like my K-S1 and K-50 - so one piece of advice I would give is that for kids pictures (as you intend to use it a lot), it will be invaluable to have a faster lens to take pictures indoors - I used the SMC Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 a lot and found it very sharp at f/2.4. A 50mm lens is nice but you don't always have the distance, so I would start with the 35mm. You can usually find it here in the marketplace for 60-70 dollars and it's a great bargain at that price, for the quality that you get.
After that I would find a cheap DA 18-55mm WR lens so you can have a WR combo to use outdoors without fear of moisture or dust. Those will also usually start at 70 dollars or so, sometimes a bit more if it's in really good condition.
11-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #45
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I love the battery grips on the K 3 and K 3 II and I always have it on the cameras

the K 3/ 3 II share a grip

the K 7 and K 5 series share a different grip

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
I knew the K-7 and K-5 shared a grip and pretty sure I knew the K-3 was different but as I was typing I suddenly had the idea that they were the same, so I wasn't sure. Thanks for setting straight on that and I don't know how I didn't notice the grips thread already. Thank you.