Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
K100 vs K10

Hi everybody.?A while ago there was a thread comparing the same lenses on K20 vs K100. The difference was remarkable. Did anybody do similar test between K100 & K10? The reason why I'm asking is that I found shop with old new stock of K10 for the price which I find very tempting.
TIA

10-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 37
I can't help you with any tests, just to let you know I've (this week) gone from a K100ds to a K10d. The feel is better and the noise (from the shutter) is quieter and smoother. It also feels like a big step up in camera terms, unfortunately I have took very few pics with my new (to me) K10 since getting it, but now I have it there's no rush I just need to sort out the extra dials and switches. (these make changing the settings so much more accessible)
If the price is right, go for it!


Mick
10-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member
pasipasi's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oulu
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
A while ago there was a thread comparing the same lenses on K20 vs K100. The difference was remarkable.
Where is this thread?
10-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Big Dave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 547
AXL,
The price of the K20D is dropping everyday. I think by thanksgiving that it will be below $700. Since you will want to upgrade to the newer body someday, why not spend the extra bucks in a few weeks for a much improved model? I am going to bypass the K10D my self and go with the K20D when the price is where I want it.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi everybody.?A while ago there was a thread comparing the same lenses on K20 vs K100. The difference was remarkable. Did anybody do similar test between K100 & K10? The reason why I'm asking is that I found shop with old new stock of K10 for the price which I find very tempting.
TIA


10-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 22
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
AXL,
The price of the K20D is dropping everyday. I think by thanksgiving that it will be below $700. Since you will want to upgrade to the newer body someday, why not spend the extra bucks in a few weeks for a much improved model? I am going to bypass the K10D my self and go with the K20D when the price is where I want it.

Dave
I second Dave's opinion. For a few more pounds you'll get the better deal with undoubtedly more advanced features.
10-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,631
QuoteOriginally posted by ridgeback Quote
I second Dave's opinion. For a few more pounds you'll get the better deal with undoubtedly more advanced features.
Count me in too. Before I bought the K20D I was using a K100DS. I had no urge to upgrade to a K10D. There seemed to be too many K10D owner complaints of back and front focussing, and complaints about over and under exposures. Those were concerns, but the better low light performance of the K100 vs K10 was the main thing that kept me away.

The K20D appears to be more reliable than the K10, and my K20D has better high ISO performance than my K100DS. I haven't heard of anyone who's upgraded from a K10 to a K20 complain about it not being a wise move. You have a nice camera already. I recommend you wait for the K20D to reach your price point.
10-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Yes, there may be no complaints about upgrading from a K10 to a K20 - that says more about the K20 than the K10.

But those perceived problems about the K10 you mentioned would be quite a minority compared with the happy users.

If you have the money, go ahead, get the K20 - I would.
I didn't, though, and I've been more than pleased with my upgrade to a K10 - I personally don't feel the need to upgrade until the K30 brings another quantum leap in the features that matter.
10-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
Where is this thread?
I tried to dig it out but coulnd't find it...
sorry

10-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
jmc7104's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rock Island, Illinois 61201
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 437
I Shoot a lot of Nature/Wildlife photo's and you need to shoot wide most of the time and then crop to ger closer which the K10 does quite well where the 100 is still short, However when I shoot People, Portrats or Macro then in my opnion the K100 outshines the K10, so depends on to some degree on what you shoot, and how you do it. I have an istDL Macro/with M42 adaptor Bellows assembly, K100D, and K10D so I use all three for different reasons, I not only have LBA but CBA also. O almost forgot, still have a K1000 film camera also. Gave Daughter a couple of Vivitars.
jim
10-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmc7104 Quote
I Shoot a lot of Nature/Wildlife photo's and you need to shoot wide most of the time and then crop to ger closer which the K10 does quite well where the 100 is still short, However when I shoot People, Portrats or Macro then in my opnion the K100 outshines the K10, so depends on to some degree on what you shoot, and how you do it. I have an istDL Macro/with M42 adaptor Bellows assembly, K100D, and K10D so I use all three for different reasons, I not only have LBA but CBA also. O almost forgot, still have a K1000 film camera also. Gave Daughter a couple of Vivitars.
jim
In what way does K100 outshine K10 in portraiture? I don't mean to wind you up or anything, I'm just curious...

PS: thanx for advice everybody, but... I went ahead. I considered K20D too much of a camera for me, and definitely too pricey. I was doing OK with K100D but I was always longing for K10D so I went and got one today. I think for 365 it was nobrainer...
I'm sure I'll post some shots soon
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
jmc7104's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rock Island, Illinois 61201
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 437
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
In what way does K100 outshine K10 in portraiture? I don't mean to wind you up or anything, I'm just curious...

PS: thanx for advice everybody, but... I went ahead. I considered K20D too much of a camera for me, and definitely too pricey. I was doing OK with K100D but I was always longing for K10D so I went and got one today. I think for 365 it was nobrainer...
I'm sure I'll post some shots soon
Basically in the higher iso and not necessary to crop but to get the picture especially in low light situations. As I said befor I use both but for different shooting situastions. Example I can push iso to 1600 on K100 to get the shot but hate to use over 400 on the K10.
jim
10-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Posts: 8
A little late, but here's the link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/37485-k20d-vs-k100ds.html
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k10, k100, photography, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AA Battery grip for k10 / k20 / k100 philmorley Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 07-14-2008 04:29 PM
K100 or K10 krs Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 01-06-2008 09:29 PM
ist. vs. K100 vs. K10 abieleck Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 07-19-2007 07:51 PM
K10 Impressions( Vs K100 Vs *ist D and DS) RiceHigh Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 01-17-2007 10:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top