Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax on HSN and QVC, good for brand recognition?

My wife is looking for a P&S for our trip to Germany this xmas and let me know QVC sold Pentax cams, i looked and they have K20D and K200D kits, i then looked and HSN even sells 18-250 and 55-300 lenses.

I for one think that's cool, because people will get to compare more brands before they choose which to buy on flexpay (hey a K20D for $919 in 4 easy payments is not bad).

And if Pentax sales go up, we get more DA lenses and future bodies for said lenses.

Although i do wonder what this Shakdution is my K20D has according to QVC ;P

10-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Isn't QVC somewhat of a dumping ground for items manufactures are looking to get rid of? I don't think I've watched a total of 20 minutes since they've been on, but that was my impression from what I've seen.
10-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never viewed them as such, i got deals of brand new on the market items there before, doesn't happen a lot, but it has happened
Well, HSN anyway, but i guess you view them both as the same? As long as they carry new Canons, i will be happy to see them carry new Pentaxes (plural of Pentax is? Pentai? Pentaxes? Pentax?)
I see them more as a place where people shop that live too far from the next big city with a Best Buy.
10-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

LO, QVC "headquarters" is right down the road from here

Cool to see them being advertised there though.

10-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Isn't QVC somewhat of a dumping ground for items manufactures are looking to get rid of? I don't think I've watched a total of 20 minutes since they've been on, but that was my impression from what I've seen.

They have some pretty good prices, depending on the item. At least according to my lovely wife. I think she single-handed keeps them in business -- QVC more than HSN.
10-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #6

Bright side: I always thought Pentax would be good for QVC or HSN.

Dark side: LBA or buying addiction for anything can reach amazingly insane levels with QVC or HSN.
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think it's great marketing using channels like these to sell Pentax, especially if the "hardcore" photographers only know Canon and Nikon at the specialty camera stores.

QuoteQuote:
QVC received more than 181 million phone calls in the United States alone, and shipped 166 million units worldwide. Net sales for the 2007 fiscal year resulted in more than $7 billion. Today, QVC reaches more than 166 million cable and satellite
I say that alone is GREAT brand penetration to new/potential Pentax sales. HSN has similar numbers.

Now for them to work a deal with The Shopping Network here in Canada, if the dealers don't have any sort of clause with Pentax Canada.
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
As long as they carry new Canons, i will be happy to see them carry new Pentaxes (plural of Pentax is? Pentai? Pentaxes? Pentax?)
Pentaces?
Pentaxi?
Pentacks?
Pentaxles..!?

I could go on forever...

10-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please go on, it will shorten the time until my 12-24 sells, so far people either got shot down by their wifes or moved w/o updating paypal ;P

i should sell my K20D and buy one on flexpay, so i can squeeze in a nice prime before my germany trip (......this would get shot down by MY wife )