Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes, you are back in the days of manual aperture lenses, but at least the inbuilt meter can read it in real time.
Something that has unfortunately been lost for the pre-A lenses (and even then, I would normally prefer the aperture ring to an in-body dial).

---------- Post added 11-21-19 at 11:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I have set the camera up so that composition adjust comes up every time I switch to live view. I suspect not many use this setting. For me composition adjust is practically the only reason to use live view. Even when shooting pixel shift tripod shots I compose using the viewfinder and use a remote for shutter.

The exception is when I extend my tripod beyond my height, I can then use live view to compose when only my arm reaches the camera.
... I feel *dumb* now. I hadn't realized that turning the option ON would change the adjustment to pop up every time you switch to LV... because on the K-7 it doesn't: it turns LV on and cancels the mode after you are done.
Thanks for keeping me from a lot of unnecessary button pressing

---------- Post added 11-21-19 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I donít agree with a single one of these ideas. Not a single one.
Honest question: why wouldn't you like, say, to have the option to ETTR automagically? Or having in-camera focus stacking/aperture bracketing?
I agree that many of the other ideas are impractical or make no sense (to me at least), but I would say those have merit...

Last edited by Serkevan; 11-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.
11-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Something that has unfortunately been lost for the pre-A lenses (and even then, I would normally prefer the aperture ring to an in-body dial).

---------- Post added 11-21-19 at 11:33 AM ----------

... I feel *dumb* now. I hadn't realized that turning the option ON would change the adjustment to pop up every time you switch to LV... because on the K-7 it doesn't: it turns LV on and cancels the mode after you are done.
Thanks for keeping me from a lot of unnecessary button pressing

---------- Post added 11-21-19 at 11:54 AM ----------

Honest question: why wouldn't you like, say, to have the option to ETTR automagically? Or having in-camera focus stacking/aperture bracketing?
I agree that many of the other ideas are impractical or make no sense (to me at least), but I would say those have merit...
Now I'm intrigued by composition adjustment. It would save me a step in Photoshop when I'm doing architectural photography.
12-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Now I'm intrigued by composition adjustment. It would save me a step in Photoshop when I'm doing architectural photography.
Just take care that the lens hood doesn't interfere. With the DA 15 Ltd I just push it back a bit. A fixed hood is probably best removed.
12-06-2019, 01:58 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
What does composition adjustment actually do? And how severe is it? I am not sure if I would want to cede any compositional control but it is good to understand

12-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Composition adjustment moves the sensor (vertically, horizontally or with rotation) using the SR system. Basically, it's a "reverse" shift lens. I find it practical, mostly, for architectural photography as it can be used to reduce the convergence effect on tall buildings. It's also useful if your camera placement is limited on a small tripod or so.
12-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Composition adjustment moves the sensor (vertically, horizontally or with rotation) using the SR system. Basically, it's a "reverse" shift lens. I find it practical, mostly, for architectural photography as it can be used to reduce the convergence effect on tall buildings. It's also useful if your camera placement is limited on a small tripod or so.
Aaaah, OK, that's handy. I generally use the perspective sliders in light room. I was assuming that, like pixel shift, it would be infinitesimal but what you are describing sounds significant. I will add it to my "try" list
12-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is quite significant, at least on the K-1. The utility is of course limited, but when you need it it's very handy to have.

12-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #68
Pentaxian

I tried it out on my K-5. The effect in Live View is definitely noticeable.
12-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
Another great idea. Hearing about this is what first piqued my interest in Pentax, because it had such high praise from people on reddit. I don't quite understand how other brands handle this function when using manual lenses or modes, as it seems so natural. Nikon also requires stop-down metering with legacy glass, so what button do they use then?
It depends on the lens and the body you are going to use.
For non-AI lenses you can most of the time convert them to AI with a body with a coupler and this allows you to use the lens without the need for the green button function, they can be in all auto exposure modes except auto av

For anything newer they are full functional except auto av

This is something I wish pentax would allow you to do
12-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
It depends on the lens and the body you are going to use.
For non-AI lenses you can most of the time convert them to AI with a body with a coupler and this allows you to use the lens without the need for the green button function, they can be in all auto exposure modes except auto av

For anything newer they are full functional except auto av

This is something I wish pentax would allow you to do
Like Pentax, Nikon has a lot of legacy glass out there, so they do make the effort to support their older lenses in some way.
12-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #71

I should use composition adjust more. It should be an excellent feature with my new 11-18!