Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Users here have complained about the KP's buffer {want bigger}, lack of topside LCD, and "small battery" {I advance the shutter count by a few thousand a year; others have reported taking over a thousand photos in a single day}
I did not mention those because I don't consider them problems at all.

11-16-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I was very much taken with the TAv mode once I "discovered" it's capabilities, thought I was on to a "good thing" ... I find since that Canon (and possibly others) implement similar capability simply by allowing Auto-ISO in Manual mode!
I consider the Pentax approach to be superior, simply because it doesn't change the Manual mode's behavior. Setting aperture and time value while having the camera set the ISO is no longer manual, it's a semi-automated mode just like Av and Tv.
11-16-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The GREEN button did exist before the MZ series, it was the 'IF' button on the Z-1 (although not needed to stop pre-A lenses down).

Nobody's mentioned Hyper Program or more importantly HyperManual and the way they allow you to seemlessly switch between exposure modes.

Equally important is being able to combine exposure comp, bracketing and exposure lock and the way they can interface with the Hyper modes.
11-16-2019, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
[If anyone has any information that would suggest that the K2 is actually going to have high-quality video let me know before I buy the Sony!]
Why should anyone help you since you already seem to have made up your mind?

11-16-2019, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a few notes in regards to accuracy...

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
4- AF precise adjustment : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D
First on K20D. Some users on this site applied global adjust on their K10D, but only through the debug menu. In other words, not a supported feature.

7- Sensor shake reduction : first on Pentax K-10D (and Minolta 7D)
Konica Minolta was first to market with IBIS in 2005 on the 5D and 7D, beating release of the K10D by a full year. When I bought my K10D winter of 2007, IBIS was available on it and the Sony A100. I considered both, but felt the K10D was the better camera and not bound to nasty things like proprietary hot shoe and memory stick.

10- In-body raw development : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D
Yes, this was a feature of the K10D, but Pentax was not unique in the market in that regard. For example, the Nikon D80 (released Fall, 2006) supported JPEG from NEF. In all fairness, however, the K10D feature was a more mature implementation.

11- DNG raw format : first on Pentax, since K-5 (and Leica)
DNG was available as an option alongside the default PEF on the K10D in 2006. While not unique as a brand, Pentax was notable as a early supporter of the DNG file type and the first to provide DNG as an option along with brand-proprietary RAW on that camera. First round adopters for DNG in 2005 included Leica, Hasselblad, and Ricoh.

Steve
11-16-2019, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

1- Astrotracer : only proposed in Pentax SLRs, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II) ; previously and otherwise available with O-GPS-1 add-on module - Never use it, but do plan on doing so.

2- Pixel-shift : only on Pentax SLRS, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II ; some other makers produce resolution enhancement via multi-exposure like Olympus and Fuji) - A nice feature, never use it but would if deemed necessary.

3- Composition adjustment : only on Pentax SLR, since K-5 - Never

4- AF precise adjustment : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D - I shoot mostly manual everything, it's a nice feature to have if and when the opportunity presents itself

5- TAV mode : only on Pentax SLR, since K-10D (equiv. to M mode + ISO auto on GR III ; and other brands) - Never

6- Green button : only on Pentax SLR, since MZ series - yes, often with my legacy glass

7- Sensor shake reduction : first on Pentax K-10D (and Minolta 7D) - yes, nice feature to have

8- Effective "all weather"/"weather resistant" sealing : systematic on Pentax SLR, after K-S1 ; and in Pentax new lenses since a few years - extremely nice feature

9- In-body raw development : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D - Never

10- DNG raw format : first on Pentax, since K-5 (and Leica) - Always DNG for me, I LIKE IT!
11-16-2019, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Havent seen anyone else mention this but its a huge one, though some may not really see it as a "feature":

#12: Backward Compatability: Large K-mount legacy lens compatability going back to 1975 with very minor issues*, and even more with M42 mount lenses (with correct adaptor)

*Mainly with specific 3rd party lenses (Ricoh's "P" lenses, a couple other brands).

11-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
[If anyone has any information that would suggest that the K2 is actually going to have high-quality video let me know before I buy the Sony!]
No-one has any hard information on the new camera except for Ricoh Imaging

If you actually need good video now, why wait? Go ahead and buy the Sony. If it turns out that the new Pentax camera has even better video (and I somehow doubt that), you can sell the Sony and get a good amount of your money back. Consider your small loss a very competitive rental fee.

One thing I'm a little confused about, though... the A7 MkIII is full frame, while the new Pentax uses an APS-C sensor. Video quality aside, you're going to get completely different fields of view from your lenses. That's quite a key difference... I trust you've thought it through.

Apologies to the OP for the brief drift off-topic
11-16-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

1- Astrotracer : only proposed in Pentax SLRs, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II) ; previously and otherwise available with O-GPS-1 add-on module
I'm itching to get my hands on the O-GPS-1 module to try this out.

2- Pixel-shift : only on Pentax SLRS, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II ; some other makers produce resolution enhancement via multi-exposure like Olympus and Fuji)
Don't have this on my K-5.

3- Composition adjustment : only on Pentax SLR, since K-5
Haven't tried this yet on my K-5.

Haven't really used this much on my K-5

5- TAV mode : only on Pentax SLR, since K-10D (equiv. to M mode + ISO auto on GR III ; and other brands)
I've just started using this recently on my K-5; it gives me one less thing to worry about in certain situations

6- Green button : only on Pentax SLR, since MZ series
Haven't really used this on my K-5, though I can appreciate its potential usefulness

I like this feature especially on my K-5

8- Effective "all weather"/"weather resistant" sealing : systematic on Pentax SLR, after K-S1 ; and in Pentax new lenses since a few years
One of the big attractions of Pentax DSLRs for me; I've shot in enough inclement weather to appreciate cameras that can tolerate less-than-ideal conditions

9- Pentaprism versus pentamirroir : systematic on Pentax SLR, since K-S1
A big plus for me; the brighter the viewfinder, the better.

Haven't really tried this with my K-5; I mostly work on raw files with Photoshop

I rely on this feature all the time; I like being able to edit DNG files without having to ensure my editor supports the format du jour
11-16-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #40
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've done video recording with my K1, and given the results I got from it (using proper video setting), I've found that the core skills for making compelling videos is the choice of subject lighting, environment, focal length, quality of echo free and noise free audio is extremely important, the sequencing of video shots and managing transitions (assembling the whole video sequence itself with sound sync out of multiples shots). And so I really did not understand why people complain about Pentax video, unless people use inappropriate video technique.

---------- Post added 16-11-19 at 10:34 ----------

Lean. I hope that Ricoh don't had every feature ever invented for cameras for the last centry, if so, the cameras would be clogged and unusable.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
I agree with your comments regarding core video shooting/editing skills. That said, apply those skills to a 4K video shot on a SONY a7III or a Panasonic GH-5, do the playback on a LG OLED display, and you'll know why I have zero interest in shooting video with my K1.
11-16-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To address the actual list...

1- Astrotracer : only proposed in Pentax SLRs, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II) ; previously and otherwise available with O-GPS-1 add-on module

If I see a good deal on an O-GPS1, I might try it.

2- Pixel-shift : only on Pentax SLRS, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II ; some other makers produce resolution enhancement via multi-exposure like Olympus and Fuji)

If my K-3 dies, I will find a K-3II and try it out, otherwise, not willing to purchase just to try.

Tried it once to see if it works, have NEVER used it for actual shooting.

Use it on a few lenses, but only if absolutely sure there is a lens-specific problem and not something that might be addressed by removal of debris from the PDAF optical path.

5- TAV mode : only on Pentax SLR, since K-10D (equiv. to M mode + ISO auto on GR III ; and other brands)

Almost never

Frequently, both with and without body control of aperture

Religiously, except when on-tripod, though I shoot as if it were not there

8- Effective "all weather"/"weather resistant" sealing : systematic on Pentax SLR, after K-S1 ; and in Pentax new lenses since a few years

??? I have appreciated the seals on the flagship models I have owned, but shoot as if they were not there.

Would never purchase a pentamirror body

Almost never used. Ditto for RAW+.

I use DNG, but mostly for convenience on import with Lightroom. In my opinion, there is very little compelling reason to use it unless one believes in continued primacy of Adobe product through the next 20 years or so.
...and this very pertinent extension...

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll add the following:

12 - Top panel LCD - I find this extremely useful, and far prefer it to using the main screen; I use it frequently

I am addicted and would be loath to give it up.

13 - Dust alert - Since I change lenses frequently, this is valuable to me, and preferable to taking stopped-down shots of a white wall or sky

If I suspect dust, I use this feature to find it.

14 - Dust removal - Again, valuable to me for the same reason as above

First line of action for removal

15 - Pixel mapping - Although many raw processing applications can average out stuck / hot pixels, I prefer that the camera is able to map these out at source

Used very rarely with very few hot pixels detected to-date

16 - Dual SD card slots - Important to me, as I don't want to lose one or more shots if a card fails or becomes corrupted

Would not buy a primary body without this feature

17 - Infra-red remote control - when tripod shooting, I tend to use either timed release or remote, and I'd rather not have unnecessary wires dangling from the camera

Use frequently for situations where a simple, close proximity solution is best. It helps that my phone has an IR blaster and an app to match.

18 - In-camera flash - whilst I don't use it myself, I know a lot of folks do. I don't see it as necessary on a flagship body, but for the rest of the range it makes sense

I use mine for minor fill work and for P-TTL master/controller duties working against my Sigma EF-610 DG Super. If absent, I would most likely move away from off-camera P-TTL completely.

19 - OVF diopter adjustment - essential for those of us who shoot without wearing our glasses; I don't like shooting with my glasses on, and switch to using contacts if using a body without diopter adjustment

Yes...

20 - Aspect ratios - I would like to see a selection of aspect ratios available in Live View, to assist with composition; the Q-series cameras offer this and it's very useful if, say, you're shooting a 1:1 or 5:4 series

I would probably not use.

Steve
11-16-2019, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello dear friends,

As far as i can recall, PENTAX DSLR have marked their story and paved their consumer's way in including quite a brunch of innovative features thourough the digital era : let us list the 11 major i have identified ; and please feel free to discuss :

- what kind of use you make of these features ?

- are they really usefull, did they count in your decision to buy PENTAX gear ?

- what your expectations are for the forthcomming PENTAX APS-C "K-2" flagship ?

Hopefully, there might be more to come

Do you have any other expectations ?
I either use or am interested in all of these features. I think Pentax has done an outstanding job of coming up with well thought out, uniquely-designed features. I also sometimes make use of the level indication.

---------- Post added 11-16-19 at 05:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The GREEN button did exist before the MZ series, it was the 'IF' button on the Z-1 (although not needed to stop pre-A lenses down).

Nobody's mentioned Hyper Program or more importantly HyperManual and the way they allow you to seemlessly switch between exposure modes.

Equally important is being able to combine exposure comp, bracketing and exposure lock and the way they can interface with the Hyper modes.
Absolutely! My PZ-1p, which Ive had since 1997, has this function, which as said simply is called the "IF" button. It is essential for the highly-useful Pentax Hyper system that relates to both Manual and Program modes of operation. In both cases making the Pentax system potentially the fastest operationally in the business for making adjustments on the fly and for meter-reading. For me, when shooting under continuously-changing lighting conditions using the "P" mode, I can instantly switch into Av or Tv operation by simply selecting a preferred shutter speed or aperture for a particular shot or shots, then back to "P" without even needing to take my eye from the VF.

In "M" mode, I can get instant meter-centered exposure settings and go from there for any further change, by then hitting the AE-L button so either the shutter speed or the aperture will follow along as I change the other. It is also extremely useful in getting fast spot meter readings around a scene. This was the system as originally conceived. Thank goodness we still have it! But now it has been expanded for use with manual-focus non-"A" lenses to set exposure using the aperture ring. I would much rather that the original form was reinstated. With the PZ-1p and even the lowly less expensive ZX-L/MZ-6, the button is not needed for use with these legacy lenses and their aperture rings. You can simply install the lens and the aperture ring becomes instantly usable, while with an "A" lens or AF lens having an aperture ring, aperture can be set via either the aperture ring or the camera's body controls. This makes the best sense and ease of use.

Matrix metering was never supported with legacy lenses. The info is just not there for the camera to read, and again without our having to diddle around with anything, the camera just automatically switches to center-weighted, even though set to matrix.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-16-2019 at 05:19 PM.
11-16-2019, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1- Astrotracer : only proposed in Pentax SLRs, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II) ; previously and otherwise available with O-GPS-1 add-on module. Don't use it.

2- Pixel-shift : only on Pentax SLRS, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II ; some other makers produce resolution enhancement via multi-exposure like Olympus and Fuji). Use it regularly to photograph art work.

3- Composition adjustment : only on Pentax SLR, since K-5. Nope.

4- AF precise adjustment : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D. Use regularly.

5- TAV mode : only on Pentax SLR, since K-10D (equiv. to M mode + ISO auto on GR III ; and other brands). Use all the time for long lens work.

6- Green button : only on Pentax SLR, since MZ series. Use all the time.

7- Sensor shake reduction : first on Pentax K-10D (and Minolta 7D) Use all the time.

8- Effective "all weather"/"weather resistant" sealing : systematic on Pentax SLR, after K-S1 ; and in Pentax new lenses since a few years. Use all the time.

11- DNG raw format : first on Pentax, since K-5 (and Leica). Use all the time.

Read more at: Eleven Pentax "specific / distinctive features" : do they impact your photography ? - PentaxForums.com
11-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #44

BigMackCam : "6- Green button : only on Pentax SLR, since MZ series - Yes, but only rarely (for metering with non-A lenses)"
Can you plase give a quick explanation for how one does this?
11-17-2019, 12:20 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite feature, something from Z-1 days, is "hyper program". You turn the aperture dial and you go to aperture priority. You rotate the shutter dial and you go to shutter priority. The camera assumes that I know what I am doing.