Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 12:51 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
My favorite feature, something from Z-1 days, is "hyper program".
^This. Pentax's hyper-manual P mode is a hidden gem.

11-17-2019, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

1- Astrotracer
Don't use it, but intend to buy a body featuring it in the future

3- Composition adjustment : only on Pentax SLR, since K-5.
I assigned the raw/fx button to it and ... forgot about it. Once in a while I accidently hit that button and it surprises me with this feature

4- AF precise adjustment : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D.
Not used very often, yet it is very useful!

5- TAV mode : only on Pentax SLR, since K-10D (equiv. to M mode + ISO auto on GR III ; and other brands).
Very useful!

6- Green button : only on Pentax SLR, since MZ series.
All the time! Great feature.

7- Sensor shake reduction : first on Pentax K-10D (and Minolta 7D)
All the time!

8- Effective "all weather"/"weather resistant" sealing : systematic on Pentax SLR, after K-S1
Very useful!

11- DNG raw format : first on Pentax, since K-5 (and Leica).
All the time

I've been also thinking if it makes sense to introduce a gasket on a lens mount of each Pentax lens being produced, even if the lens itself is not weather resistant. This way the body would always be WR - so I know that having a non-WR lens the camera itself will be fine. A few times when being out shooting I thought it would be quite easy to put e.g. a glove on the lens barrel and keep shooting in the light rain/ snow, not worrying about the body. Now, having a non-WR lens I virtually don't have a WR-camera either, since the lens mount is not sealed.
11-17-2019, 03:09 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used pixel shift twice, on a really still day it gave me excellent dof but you do need completely still conditions. I would like to see iso50 and the ability to set a minimum shutter speed. I know we have the slow/med/fast in auto iso but it would be nice to be able to set minimum shutter speed totally independently of all other factors.
11-17-2019, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1- Astrotracer : only proposed in Pentax SLRs, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II) ; previously and otherwise available with O-GPS-1 add-on module

I've only tested it not taken any real photos. The test was 65° 20′ 0″ N which might be far enough north to affect the performance?

2- Pixel-shift : only on Pentax SLRS, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II ; some other makers produce resolution enhancement via multi-exposure like Olympus and Fuji)

I use pixel-shift a fair bit and think it's a great feature that improves the quality of tripod shots a lot. Movement is only an issue when the subject itself is moving.

3- Composition adjustment : only on Pentax SLR, since K-5

Frequently used as a poor mans shift lens. Unfortunately the iq at edges decrease but it's often ok.

4- AF precise adjustment : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D

All lenses

5- TAV mode : only on Pentax SLR, since K-10D (equiv. to M mode + ISO auto on GR III ; and other brands)

Only rarely used, mainly a M of AV guy

6- Green button : only on Pentax SLR, since MZ series

Only used a few times.

Great feature, frequently useful

8- Effective "all weather"/"weather resistant" sealing : systematic on Pentax SLR, after K-S1 ; and in Pentax new lenses since a few years

I only have one wr lens that I never use (it's a zoom)

9- Pentaprism versus pentamirroir : systematic on Pentax SLR, since K-S1

would not use a pentamirror camera based on what I've seen.

10- In-body raw development : first on Pentax SLR, since K-10D

Very rarely used

11- DNG raw format : first on Pentax, since K-5 (and Leica)

It's great that the colour matrix gets embedded in the raw file.

11-17-2019, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #50

1- Astrotracer : only proposed in Pentax SLRs, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II) ; previously and otherwise available with O-GPS-1 add-on module
I'm very interested in this, but I have a KP and no O-GPS-1. I do wish that the KP had been made like the K3ii, since I have no use for the built-in flash.

2- Pixel-shift : only on Pentax SLRS, since K-3II (K-1, KP, K-1II ; some other makers produce resolution enhancement via multi-exposure like Olympus and Fuji)
I've yet to run into a situation that really begs for pixel-shift to be used, but that's because I rarely do static shots or tripod landscapes. I'm glad it's there though, and since I use Rawtherapee I'm already prepared to develop pixel-shift shots once I finally make one.

Again, I've yet to be in a situation that demands it, but I'm glad it's there.

I'm surprised Pentax was first to implement this, considering everyone else had always supposedly been ahead in PDAF tech. It's invaluable for anyone who wants to ensure AF accuracy, so I don't understand why other manufacturers withhold it from lower end models.

5- TAV mode : only on Pentax SLR, since K-10D (equiv. to M mode + ISO auto on GR III ; and other brands)
It's a great idea in theory, though technically it's not unique. I do prefer Pentax's implementation as a separate exposure mode, as it makes M mode exclusively a manual mode. Semantics, but UX is an important aspect that Pentax usually gets more right than others.

Another great idea. Hearing about this is what first piqued my interest in Pentax, because it had such high praise from people on reddit. I don't quite understand how other brands handle this function when using manual lenses or modes, as it seems so natural. Nikon also requires stop-down metering with legacy glass, so what button do they use then?

Obviously this is a huge plus for DSLRs. As soon as I heard Pentax had this alongside native legacy glass support, I was hooked. I understand that some people are hesitant to call IBIS invaluable (owners of Fuji and other DLSR brands), but going forward I see IBIS as a standard feature that introduces more value than it costs (considering the addition of astrotracer, pixelshift, composition adjust, and horizon correction).

8- Effective "all weather"/"weather resistant" sealing : systematic on Pentax SLR, after K-S1 ; and in Pentax new lenses since a few years

This is a strange feature, as technically it's not always effective since not all lenses are WR, but when other brands withhold WR from cheaper camera models, it devalues their whole line of WR lenses. Like with IBIS, I think WR should simply be a standard body feature so that only lens features should be variables. It would have been nice though if Pentax had produced more standard WR primes, and WR Limited lenses.

Pentamirrors are nothing but a cheap imitation of pentaprisms. Apart from their weight reduction, they have no practical benefit over prisms, which I hardly consider to be important since those who are looking for lighter cameras can just go mirrorless now. Pentax made the right choice to go all-in on prisms, which is especially appropriate considering they're Pentax's namesake.

Again, I'm surprised Pentax was the first, or that it wasn't even standard to begin with when DSLRs were first made. I have no use for it, but it's better to be there than not.

Nice and practical. Propriety formats make no sense and only serve to splinter the camera market (and not even effectively). It's better for the whole industry to accept a single Raw standard and treat it like film (that is to say, compatible with any developer (barring the difference between colour and b&w film of course)).

Beyond all these features, what attracted me to Pentax was that I could get all this at a lower price than comparable models from other brands, only at the loss of a few things that I don't even need to mention because every Pentax user already knows the arguments. Nonetheless, those lost features were the least important things to me and were easily made up in the value of the Pentax brand. Hyper modes, legacy lens support, and the KP's three dials were all also features that I considered useful for my purposes, as when I was shooting with a cheap Nikon, all I could think about was what my ideal camera controls would be, which the KP turned out to provide exactly.

Last edited by StarTroop; 11-17-2019 at 07:01 PM.
11-17-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t agree with a single one of these ideas. Not a single one.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
DNG = great.
Astrotracer - great
Pixel shift , no so much.

Yes.

1) Remove pixel shift competely, instead of PS, introduce ISO50 and ISO25 RAW frames auto-align, with both SR or ES on tripod (increased IQ and DR, but no PS artifacts anymore).
2) Fractional exposure steps down to 0.1ev instead of 0.3ev.
3) Fix unstable connectivity between camera and phone, allow thetering on phone not only in single shot mode but also all other drive modes and including remote control of camera by phone also in video mode (phone = replace tilt screen on camera, also replaces IR remote).
4) Full time ES even with OVF
5) ES available in all drive modes (HDR, composite, interval, and bulb composite)
6) Programmable shutter time delay (from 0.5s to 30s) instead of 2s + 10s fixed.
7) Highlight clipping indicator in OVF
8) Automatic ETTR mode option of exposure program, available with both OVF and LV modes
9) Optional exposure program setting with SR enabled: shutter-speed to FL ratio (1 stop, 2 stops, 3 stop and 4 stops options) when SR is enabled
10) Aperture bracketing (like it was on K5)
11) Focus bracketing
12) Ricoh should get rid of PEF. Every camera maker should align to deliver RAW files in a standard DNG format, saving costs of Ricoh itself and also saving cost to third party image software makers.

---------- Post added 16-11-19 at 10:14 ----------

P.S. : Pixel is a good method in the lab, but always fail in case of motion in scene. Motion detection recovery vs noise, has no solution: either motion detection is exact but the pixel shift benefit is eliminated in that case, simply because every pixel information is corrupted by noise, which makes it impossible to fully distinguish if something moved in the scene or if there was noise over the same pixel compared between frames. So, practucally pixel shift is a hopeless solution to making high resolution images for all images that may have moving elements. That's why Ricoh should get rid of pixel shift completely.
11-17-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

I have set the camera up so that composition adjust comes up every time I switch to live view. I suspect not many use this setting. For me composition adjust is practically the only reason to use live view. Even when shooting pixel shift tripod shots I compose using the viewfinder and use a remote for shutter.

The exception is when I extend my tripod beyond my height, I can then use live view to compose when only my arm reaches the camera.

11-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #53
Forum Member

On the subject of, expectations for the upcoming camera, anyone expecting 4K?

Now as far as I know, Pentax spokespersons have said that they are not going to have a focus on video, which is sort of nice way to say, “don’t expect a camera that’s competitive in the video department” regardless the new camera may still have 4K.
My understanding is, that the Sony sensors, come bundled with video support.
This is what Pentax has been using. Other manufacturers write more extensive programming and add a bunch of extra hardware to equip their sensors to record videos at higher Mbps and support different codecs. Pentax has just been using the bundled low Mbps video, that come with the Sony sensors.
But I believe that Sony is to start, or have already started having sensors that will come bundled with 4K support. When Pentax uses one of those sensors, they should be able to have 4K without actually putting any real money into video. The bundled 4K support would probably not be the best, but it still would have to have a higher Mbps rate than any Pentax DSLR camera currently, by a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you actually need good video now, why wait? Go ahead and buy the Sony. If it turns out that the new Pentax camera has even better video (and I somehow doubt that), you can sell the Sony and get a good amount of your money back. Consider your small loss a very competitive rental fee.
That seems like a good way to look at it.
One thing I'm a little confused about, though... the A7 MkIII is full frame, while the new Pentax uses an APS-C sensor. Video quality aside, you're going to get completely different fields of view from your lenses. That's quite a key difference... I trust you've thought it through.
Oh, I have enough selection in K-mount lenses, to support the fields of view I would want for video in both full frame and crop.
I've done video recording with my K1, and given the results I got from it (using proper video setting), I've found that the core skills for making compelling videos is the choice of subject lighting, environment, focal length, quality of echo free and noise free audio is extremely important, the sequencing of video shots and managing transitions (assembling the whole video sequence itself with sound sync out of multiples shots). And so I really did not understand why people complain about Pentax video, unless people use inappropriate video technique.

---------- Post added 16-11-19 at 10:34 ----------
The footage from Pentax cameras have too low of a Mbps rate to survive, what I consider standard video post processing and editing. Pentax video is basically like editing a JPEG, compared to editing a Raw photo, but even more pronounced. Also fine textures, like a gravel driveway, tend to vibrate with a static of sorts caused by the extensive line skipping that is employed in the video capture, Panasonic and Sony are offering cameras that have full sensor readout which effectively eliminates such artifacts.
11-18-2019, 02:54 AM   #54
Inactive Account

I will mention only what I think really impact my photography and what makes me still use Pentax.
1. Composition adjustment: A big fan of this one. I always want a few more mm here and there! This feature is perfect.
2. Inbody SR: Not sure should I put it here? Almost everyone has it now. In the past, people argued what is better, inbody or inlense SR; I let them argued all they want. I won’t even look at the brands with no inbody SR.
3. WR: Pentax WR is perhaps the only reason I still stick with the brand right now. I think it is the best in market but it is only effective with WR lenses. Pentax doesn’t have WR Wide-angle prime yet! After all these years and all the advertisement around WR. Prime shooters deserved Wide-angle wr prime in the lineup.
4. Price of the whole system (body+lens): general speaking Pentax is still the Best Bang for Your Buck.

What I expect from the new flagship APS-C:
1. All of the above
2. Articulate screen; this one is NOT a must-have for me, but i highly expecting it. IMHO it is not too much to ask for in the final version of the flagship in 2020. Besides that, They shouldn’t try to limit themselves to a smaller portion of the very small market they have. (but who’s know, right!) Just put whatever makes market’s sense to max out the number of sells.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-18-2019 at 03:06 AM.
11-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
Also fine textures, like a gravel driveway, tend to vibrate with a static of sorts caused by the extensive line skipping that is employed in the video capture
I've noticed that shutter speed can have a negative effect on smoothness of video recording with Pentax. Are the artifacts you describe related to the choice of shutter speed relative to frame rate?
11-18-2019, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I use it sometimes, but I suck at night photography. I also use the GPS tagging function.

I use it rarely, should use it more to be sure.

I use it at times, and find it marvelous. Coupled with a tilt-shift lens, it creates astounding results. I'd make it easier to use, and to get out of.

I use it systematically.

Never use it.

I use it everyday.

I've come to rely on it so much, I only notice it when I turn it off by accident.

Invaluable. A necessity.

I take it for granted.

Never used it.

Always use it when I shoot RAW.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Did anyone mention ergonomics?
Indeed. Should we include the tilting LCD of the K-1 with this?

12 - Top panel LCD
Necessary.

13 - Dust alert
I use it often.

14 - Dust removal
I take it for granted.

15 - Pixel mapping
I use it from time to time, as a safety.
11-18-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

I believe in open formats, so I use DNG exclusively.

Also, shake reduction is very important. Without it I think using old glass would be very frustrating.
11-18-2019, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TAV and IBIS, 99 percent of my shooting. What a difference in image quality...a little PP when necessary....
11-18-2019, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #59
Forum Member

I've noticed that shutter speed can have a negative effect on smoothness of video recording with Pentax. Are the artifacts you describe related to the choice of shutter speed relative to frame rate?
Keep shutter speed, twice the frame rate. So if I shoot at 30fps and keep the shutter speed at 1/60th that should be ideal right? That’s the setting I’ve been using, on all 3 of my Pentax cameras, (K-x, K-01, 645Z)with a tripod, and I’m still seeing these artifacts, I thought it was from the line skipping.
11-19-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
#12: Backward Compatability: Large K-mount legacy lens compatability going back to 1975 with very minor issues*, and even more with M42 mount lenses (with correct adaptor)
The latter was in turn a result of Asahi Optical's desire not to completely throw out the entire Takumar lens system overnight when it went to the K mount, and thus to keep the register distance. Yes, you are back in the days of manual aperture lenses, but at least the inbuilt meter can read it in real time.

It's in part a measure of Pentax's former prestige that the array of third party M42 and K mount lenses available second-hand is so incredibly vast. That's their true legacy.