Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 03:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone use in body clarity?

I have a KP and it has so many functions and options that I wonder if I will ever use. I tried in body clarity and the only difference I saw was a longer write time. So, does anyone use these or change them, and if so, what benefits do you get? I am merely asking because I am still on the learning curve and PF members are the real experts.

Clarity
Skin tone
D-range
Noise reduction
Composition adjust

11-17-2019, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have only tried "clarity" (did not try the others you indicated).

No expert, still mucking around and sometimes experiment with stuffs.

I first tried the "clarity" thing out of pure curiosity (did plus1 and plus2).
I was guessing it should be the in-camera sharpening feature.

Other than a slower write time (even when i used the SanDisk SD card that supposedly has faster write-speed (Extreme Pro), it took about 1.5 to 2seconds to write one single image).

But it really did sharpen up the image.
Even at just plus1, it seriously made visible difference.
(BUT, i think the lens used will also be a factor).

Because of the slowed-down write speed, i seldom use that "clarity" thing.

I wonder if other PF members ever tried that "clarity" thing before and did not experience such slowness.

Perhaps got to use a SD card that has even faster write speed than the SanDisk Extreme Pro.
11-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
have only tried "clarity" (did not try the others you indicated).

No expert, still mucking around and sometimes experiment with stuffs.

I first tried the "clarity" thing out of pure curiosity (did plus1 and plus2).
I was guessing it should be the in-camera sharpening feature.

Other than a slower write time (even when i used the SanDisk SD card that supposedly has faster write-speed (Extreme Pro), it took about 1.5 to 2seconds to write one single image).

But it really did sharpen up the image.
Even at just plus1, it seriously made visible difference.
(BUT, i think the lens used will also be a factor).

Because of the slowed-down write speed, i seldom use that "clarity" thing.

I wonder if other PF members ever tried that "clarity" thing before and did not experience such slowness.

Perhaps got to use a SD card that has even faster write speed than the SanDisk Extreme Pro.
So, it sharpened the image? I wasn't sure if it was something that just helped jpegs
11-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
So, it sharpened the image? I wasn't sure if it was something that just helped jpegs
I don't think it effects the RAW image, just the embedded jpeg, but it is like lens corrections in that it takes extra time to process and write the extra information into the file. I've tried Clarity a couple of times when processing a RAW file to jpeg in camera and I felt like it was a little quick to over-sharpen images. A little went a long way.

11-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Given that it is one of the options for in-camera RAW processing, I think it is a safe bet that it only applies to JPEG in normal shooting.

Steve
11-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh yeah, to be clearer.

i shoot mostly jpegs (very seldom shoot RAW).

and yes. I really do see visible differences in the jpegs, when i use plus-1 of the "clarity" thing.

And, even at just plus-1, it was a very visible difference.

The only discouraging thing is it takes 1.5 to 2 seconds.

Guess will have to use SD cards with very high write-speed if want to use "clarity".
11-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Given that it is one of the options for in-camera RAW processing, I think it is a safe bet that it only applies to JPEG in normal shooting.

Steve
Ah, I hadn't spotted that! Doh lol still at least now I know I always shoot raw so I will add it to the list of things I skip over. Thanks
11-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Correct. All in-camera RAW development is by way of conversion to a new jpeg or tiff.

11-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Correct. All in-camera RAW development is by way of conversion to a new jpeg or tiff.
And that will be why I had so many folders on my memory card see! I said you lot were the oracles
11-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

have tried it but takes to long to write so have bailed on using it....it certainly impacts the image......with me being a 98% jpeg shooter like keeping things plain jane as I can via on camera processing stuff
11-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Clarify enhancement is a pretty strong filter which will give your photos an HDR-ish look. It's indeed a JPEG-only feature, and due to the added processing time (which prevents burst shooting), I tend to prefer to just apply something like this in post.

Here's an example of the filter in action:
Pentax K-70 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty much never, and never on any NR since I shoot RAW+ and want the speed.
11-17-2019, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I am a fan of the composition adjustment. Very useful when the lens is not wide enough.
But I have never used the other inbody enhancement toos because I don't want to wait for it to process the photo.
11-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If I'm not in a hurry to get shots, I have used it to good effect. I've not done a comparison, but it seems increasing contrast might be part of what it does. This however, would mean judicious use of this feature, since the "Bright" image setting being the default for JPEG images, already increases contrast up by one notch. For some scenes increasing contrast even more could result in losing valuable shadow detail. But for the right scene I've found it useful.

It apparently does do more than adjust contrast, but I don't know specifically what. My usage depends on if it improves the outcome without also causing a noticeable downgrade, I'm fine with it.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.