Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #1

Could new APS-C be a Succesor at the Tokyo Olympics

New APS-C is a professional high speed camera. With the 50-300 PLM lens. It would be come a cheap and efficient photography tools in Olympics

11-19-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Cheap, definitely. Efficient, in comparison to the equipment used by agency photographers (400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4, x1.4, x1.7 and x2 converters), I have a slight doubt.

By the way, the 'Pentax News and Rumors' section might not be the most appropriate place for this kind of statement.
11-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Let’s hope for a nice camera. Everything else is since dream
11-19-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Tokyo Olympics will clearly be something that Ricoh Imaging will, and should not support. *
First because they won't have the equipment: even if the APS-C flagship will be extremely competitive as a sports camera, there are no lenses for it (think of those costing as much as a nice car). The OP's suggestion of the 55-300 RE PLM is completely unrealistic I'm afraid.
Then, because it's very expensive and we'd have to pay the price. A very small user base, that means price increases all over. Do we want that?

* except perhaps with the Theta - do something different, and avoid the costs and issues. Not sure if there's a good use for the Theta there, though.

11-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Tokyo Olympics will clearly be something that Ricoh Imaging will, and should not support. *
First because they won't have the equipment: even if the APS-C flagship will be extremely competitive as a sports camera, there are no lenses for it (think of those costing as much as a nice car). The OP's suggestion of the 55-300 RE PLM is completely unrealistic I'm afraid.
Then, because it's very expensive and we'd have to pay the price. A very small user base, that means price increases all over. Do we want that?

* except perhaps with the Theta - do something different, and avoid the costs and issues. Not sure if there's a good use for the Theta there, though.
55-300 plm is no a expensive one. It has almost the same price as Canon's 50-250, and they have almost the same performance. 50-300 more 50mm focal length
11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They don’t go cheap at the Olympics, that’s why Canon and Nikon update their flagship bodies for them.

The 1DX3 and D6 will both be out then and both Canon and Nikon will have huge CPS and NPS support on site, and I’m sure you will see more Sony users there now since they finally have 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses.
11-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to DSLR discussion forum, as this is neither news nor rumour

11-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
They don’t go cheap at the Olympics, that’s why Canon and Nikon update their flagship bodies for them.

The 1DX3 and D6 will both be out then and both Canon and Nikon will have huge CPS and NPS support on site, and I’m sure you will see more Sony users there now since they finally have 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses.
1DX3 and 6D are designed for journalist. The average consumer should need a more lightweight and cheaper option. However, Canon and Nikon did not update 7D2 and D500.
11-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably be the first time in the past few years since the 635D when Pentax gear has been at the Olympics.

QuoteOriginally posted by cpysz123 Quote
Canon and Nikon did not update 7D2 and D500.
That in itself is a revelatory detail, APS-C is no longer a king of the hill race.
11-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

55-300 plm is no a expensive one. It has almost the same price as Canon's 50-250, and they have almost the same performance. 50-300 more 50mm focal length
The 55-300 RE PLM is too "cheap", too entry level. As I said, expect lenses costing like a decent car... required to be taken seriously. Just check this article:
Most Olympic Photographers Shoot Canon, Survey Says | Digital Trends
Would you really put a Pentax with a 50-300 RE PLM besides a 1Dx MkII + 200-400 f/4L Extender?
(since it's Olympics and not generic sports photography, I'm ignoring non-pro use)

Then it's the support, and once again I'll give Canon as an example:
Ready for Rio: Canon shows off its massive camera hoard for the Olympics | TechRadar
Even on a lower scale, it can't possibly be cheap.
11-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I dont think we are talking pro using it, but amateur.
11-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the new APS-C and 55-300 would be great for a regular person to shoot sports like the marathon, road bike racing, etc.

Basically sports where you can get close during the daytime...

But I’d do it if Ricoh wants to fly me over and loan me the gear

I shot some of the 1996 Olympics with a PZ-20 and got some really good results... and I have no idea where they are...

-Eric
11-19-2019, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It could marketing as such… wait, did I say marketing when talk about Pentax?

At this point we only have a prototype in a glass box and lot of rumor+speculation because Pentax haven’t said much about it yet. I don’t even think the final version will be on time for the Olympic. They will sure have an update on CP+ end of February 2020. They can surprise me if they want by announce a sell date.
Any company with plan for the Olympic 2020 already launch their Olympic’s campaign at this point. Many have done years earlier. If the new APSC will be available any time close to the game, I would expect to see some marketing campaign about the camera and the game now if not many month before this.

If it can make to the market let say after cp+2020. Personally I don’t think a pro sport will switch to Pentax, They need time to see full specs, read review, and hand-on testing it before makes a switch to a new system or better stick with the old trusty equipments and get the job done.
Amateur might be interesting if the feature make sense and the market price is justifiable. But keep in mind, we host the World Cup Ruby in Tokyo Yokohama last month. It is unlikely a non-pentax amateur sport photographer here will spend money again for a new system. The only people interesting in the new flagship will again be .only.. us.
11-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

1DX3 and 6D are designed for journalist. The average consumer should need a more lightweight and cheaper option. However, Canon and Nikon did not update 7D2 and D500.
Well I’m confused then. You said in your original post the “new APS-C is professional high speed camera”
11-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt if any camera is "professional". When people use the term they mean that it has very high level specks such as a professional photographer might need. But it might not have the specialized specs needed for certain professional uses such as covering the Olympics for a news service. The new camera might be fine for weddings or news coverage although most of that is now handled by full frame cameras.