Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 would be good choices. A used one should only set you back in the $300-400 range.

11-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

K-3/(ii)….K-5ii depending on your budget
11-20-2019, 01:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the suggested models would mean an improvement in IQ and features over your K-7. I shot with a non-flagship K-100D then K-200D, bought new at good prices, for quite some time before I got the outgoing flagship K20D, passing on the then new K-7. Since then, I've had several non-flagship secondary models, but have never since been without a flagship style body.

I would not consider just owning one of my secondary bodies after having a flagship caliber body. Don't get me wrong, I love my K-S2, a very capable model which can provide very fine results, and has remarkable features for the price point I paid, but it is not in the same class as my K-5 IIs (a previous model to the K-S2) or my much newer KP. Since you are used to the controls and quality of the K-7, I would say the K-3 (has a built-in flash) or the KP, which is an excellent choice. It has its own unique controls design which are very useful.

You mentioned mirrorless. If you'd consider going that route, knowing having a more compact body with fewer controls, the KP would be closer to what you are used to, more controls than the typical APS-C mirrorless, but have a slimmer design comparable to the typical mirrorless variety, yet with a top-grade optical VF with 100% coverage. This design is especially great with compact lenses like the Limited primes. Build quality is in line with flagship models. It also has a convenient pull-out rear screen for high level, low level, or belt level shots especially when on a tripod. IQ is top-notch. Getting used to its handling and controls is worth the effort! If you still want more gripping surface, perhaps sometimes for better balance with larger lenses, get the optional battery grip. With said grip, the combined weight is about the same as a K-3 II without a battery grip.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-20-2019 at 01:43 PM.
11-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5IIs, same basic layout, under 300 bucks, solid body, no AA filter with much better resolution. backlit LCD on top of the body, great ergonomics. If you are thinking new or lightly used, the next question would be, do you need a grip for extended battery life? If yes, skip the K-70 and look K-5 series, K-3, and KP. I love my KP but still like shooting my K-5IIs a lot also.
let us know what you end up choosing.

11-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I went from K100D super to K7. ...
That's my progression so far! I went back to my K100D super yesterday, but am finding that, although I loved it when I got it ages ago and it was a great entry-level DSLR, the image quality is so far reduced from the K-7, I can't use it for my purposes.

I'm concerned that a K5 series would be too advanced for me. As I recall, the K-5 and its successors were the pro-level DSLRs at the time, a step up functionally from the K-7 and (probably) too complex for me to get the best image quality out of it!

The bottom line for me is image quality, and I shoot mostly indoors with studio lighting, so a mid-range model meeting those needs is probably what I should go for.

---------- Post added 11-20-19 at 09:59 AM ----------

Wow; so much great information! Thank you all! I need to research the models mentioned and see where I end up. Sounds like there are three or four very good options. Budget is super tight, but I literally need something now. Maybe I'll try to buy something used that's newer than my K-7 and inexpensive, then spring for something better in a few months. Having a good back-up camera is never a bad thing, right? Since I'm sitting here looking at three digital cameras (my K-7 and two I thought I could use as back-ups), and can't use any of them. My K100D Super's preview function is shot (I can live with that), but its image quality isn't as good as it needs to be. I think I'm reduced to getting a new battery for my old Panasonic Lumix as a temporary solution. Sad....
11-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
. . . Wow; so much great information! Thank you all! I need to research the models mentioned and see where I end up. Sounds like there are three or four very good options. Budget is super tight. . . .
the forum's marketplace " buy/sell " above is a great source to find experienced equipment

I have had zero problems buying equipment from other members

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com
11-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
K-5IIs, same basic layout, under 300 bucks, solid body, no AA filter with much better resolution. backlit LCD on top of the body, great ergonomics. If you are thinking new or lightly used, the next question would be, do you need a grip for extended battery life? If yes, skip the K-70 and look K-5 series, K-3, and KP. I love my KP but still like shooting my K-5IIs a lot also.
let us know what you end up choosing.
Ditto for me! Even though the KP is now my most often-used body, I still like my K-5 IIs very, very much!

Don't worry at all about the K-5 being too advanced and complicated over your K-7. You will find yourself right at home. The K-5 is very user-friendly with a great controls layout. But if you do go for the K-5, be sure to get the K-5 IIs, which, since image quality is of utmost concern, will provide more detail in images due to not having an AA filter. I know because I have a K-5 and K-5 IIs. Its AF performance was also improved over the original K-5. None of the subsequent Pentax models have an AA filter, but they now have a filter switch-in available in case of a problem with "moire". Its low light, lower noise performance is a major step up from your K-7 also, along with dynamic range, and even slightly better than the K-3. It is one of the great cameras, IMO.

But the KP takes things up significantly farther. There are more features than the K-5 or K-3 series. Low light, low noise advancement is outstanding, and a major reason that I went for it. IQ and metering- outstanding. There would be more for you to learn because its controls are different and it has no top LCD screen, but then you have the sometimes very useful pull-out rear screen, and the information on it is larger and more clear. I do still value the handiness of having a top LCD on my K-5 cameras, but coming from the old film days where there were no top LCD screens, making the re-adjustment with the K-S2 and KP for me was easy. I think with its fine imaging and unique design the KP might become a classic. And you can get it in a beautiful silver /black finish.

If you often shoot JPEG images, for best results right out of the camera with either model, be sure to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the most-often used "Bright" category. Both the K-5 IIs and the KP have very good in-camera processing for out-of-camera JPEGs, but the KP is really outstanding.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-20-2019 at 02:29 PM.
11-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #23

There's not much between the KP and K-70, I picked the K-70 and spent the price difference between the cameras on buying a Tamron 90mm and the Pentax 10-17mm fish eye. I'm happy with my decision but everyone is different. The original K-3 can be picked up secondhand in good condition for less than 500Eur. Happy hunting
11-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the grip on the KP doesn't seem as if it would be secure enough in my small hands.
There are three different sized interchangeable grips for the KP.

I'm concerned that a K5 series would be too advanced for me.
I've been a photo enthusiast for decades, but never a pro. (Well, I did make a little money shooting shoestring weddings for friends.) I've never used a K-7, but found that the transition from my K10D to my K-5 IIs was quite easy. The layouts are very similar. Even though the K-5 series was flagship level when introduced, and has many configurable features, it can also be used in 'Green' mode where the camera makes all the decisions. If you can push the shutter button, you can take a picture. I wouldn't be intimidated by all the things it is able to do. In most cases you can just make the same adjustments you were making on the K-7. You can investigate the other capabilities if you ever want to dig deeper. Here are a few shots taken with my K-5IIs: Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K5IIs - PentaxForums.com

I would suggest either the K-5 II or IIs; the back screen on the original K-5 was apparently prone to scratching. If you shoot textiles or things with similar repeating patterns, the IIs is probably not the best choice. Its lack of an AA filter can cause moire (false color) effects. You can read about this in the in-depth review. I've never run into moire problems with my IIs, and love the more detailed images it provides. It is a very fine camera for what it currently sells for, and they are readily available on the PF Marketplace. No wi-fi, but a pop-up flash with adjustable light output.

Needless to say a K-3 or newer would have even better IQ, with a bigger hit to your wallet.
11-21-2019, 12:50 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do have a K-7 and a K-5 or K-3 would not be too advanced at all. Unless you want something lighter ( KP or K70) I’d go for a K-3 with built-in flash.
11-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I just saw right now both the K-70 and KP are offered at a temporary special price at B&H. A very reasonable $546 for the K-70, but the KP is only $200 more! If it were me, since buying a new camera is not something often done, I would not hesitate to pay $200 more for the KP's pro-grade magnesium alloy build, superior controls, 5-axis SR system, newer Prime IV processor, more advanced AF system, more advanced metering system, available battery grip, and other refinements. Also same price for either black or silver/black, and either are offered in a package with free accessories! Free shipping also. An amazing price for this class of camera.
11-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember when I got the K20D, new left-over closeout when the K-7 arrived. I paid half the original price and about half the then new K-7 price- $650 with warranty for my K20D. That was some years ago when the $ was of higher value. The IQ, etc. between the K20D and K-7 are similar. I can tell you the KP represents very significant advancements in IQ, performance and features.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-21-2019 at 03:38 PM.
11-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The IQ, etc. between the K20D and K-7 are similar. I can tell you the KP represents very significant advancements in IQ, performance and features.
Thank you; again, very helpful information. For now, I'm going to play with my K100D super to see if I can get used to it again. I used to be able to get nice product shots out of it, but am not sure if its performance has degraded over time or the comparison between that and my K-7 is indeed very significant, what I thought was good at the time really wasn't, or the most likely issue, is operator incompetence! In the meantime, I'll continue doing some research on the recommended models.
11-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . in the meantime, I'll continue doing some research on the recommended models.
I know nothing about the sellers or the cameras for sale but

there appears to be several in the US Marketplace " buy/sell " that might be of interest to the OP

K 3 and K 5 cameras
11-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you have small hands- I've heard a few complaints regarding the KP from those with big hands, some winding up with the optional battery grip, but I've never heard a single complain about handling from those with small hands! I still have my old K100D, but haven't used it in years. I should sell it for cheap, though it is in mint condition.