Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #1

Suggestions for a replacement for my K-7

My K-7 seems to have breathed its last. It's stuck in full manual exposure mode (regardless of what mode I try to set). I use it in a production environment (product shots) and can't take the time to futz with it. I can make minor adjustments in the other modes, but am not up for using it in full-on manual. I think it would cost more than I paid for it to have it fixed (I've read about the same problem here, and it sounds like mine needs to be professionally repaired). I love it, but it is old and I might be ready for something newer. And possibly a little smaller and lighter. I have a K100D and the size/weight of it is nice, but image quality isn't anywhere near that of the K-7.

So.... I'm looking for recommendations on something that would give me same or better image quality, but still intuitive to use. It would be nice to have wi-fi capability for easier downloading. Doesn't have to be smaller; I like the sturdy build and SLR-like feel of my K-7. And something I can buy used at a good price. I bought my K-7 second-hand at a ridiculous price and have used it without trouble for years.

I haven't kept up with the newer Pentax models, so don't even know where to begin. Would one of the mirrorless units be a good replacement?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated; thank you!

11-19-2019, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP or K70.
(Assuming budget allows)
11-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello, as you are ready to buy a second hand body you have a wide number of bodies since K7.
Your budget is an important variable that might help in directing you to one or other option.

I would skip K5 and K5 ii and pick a 2nd hand K3 or K3 ii, price being around 300 USD, body size being more or less the same as K7, not smaller or lighter. If you want something a bit different and recent (and smaller and lighter), a second hand K70 or KP are also available picks.
I would personnaly go for a KP but second hand should be around 500-600 USD.
11-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you could choose to investigate what options there might be for renting equipment to see what might be good for you before spending money to buy

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

and there is the owners' reviews and " in depth " reviews under " camera " above along with the side by side comparison tool also under " cameras " above

here is an example comparing the KP vs K 70 vs the K 3 II vs K 3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+KP&c2...&c4=Pentax+K-3

good luck

11-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to relevant forum...
11-19-2019, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Doesn't have to be smaller; I like the sturdy build and SLR-like feel of my K-7.
I would point you to the K-70. Amazing the features Pentax can pack into that camera for the price point. And I personally feel the grip is better on the K-70 than the KP..
11-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Moved to relevant forum...

Thank you; I wasn't sure where to post....

---------- Post added 11-19-19 at 07:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and there is the owners' reviews and " in depth " reviews under " camera " above along with the side by side comparison tool also under " cameras " above

here is an example comparing the KP vs K 70 vs the K 3 II vs K 3

Pentax KP vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

good luck

Thanks! I've used the reviews quite a bit here, including the comparison feature, but I didn't even have a starting point for this potential new purchase.

11-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My K7 had sensor problem horizontal stripes all over the screen especially at high ISO, seems to be a common problem, I got it fixed within warranty and traded it for the K5, the IQ at high ISO much improved after K7 I believe a different sensor in use.
11-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you; I wasn't sure where to post....

---------- Post added 11-19-19 at 07:22 PM ----------

Thanks! I've used the reviews quite a bit here, including the comparison feature, but I didn't even have a starting point for this potential new purchase.
oops forgot one

KP vs. K 70 vs. K 3 II vs. K 3

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
11-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Yeah; I saw that! LOL. Found the missing one, though. These look good, but I like a built-in flash, which the K-3 II apparently doesn't have.
11-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah; I saw that! LOL. Found the missing one, though. These look good, but I like a built-in flash, which the K-3 II apparently doesn't have.
that is true

but the very similar K 3 does have one
11-19-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
And I personally feel the grip is better on the K-70 than the KP..
From the looks of them, I agree. I do a lot of one-handed shooting (thus the hope for something lighter than the K-7), and the grip on the KP doesn't seem as if it would be secure enough in my small hands.
11-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
KP or K70 if you like flash.

I think I’d prefer the KP, but either is a step up from the K7...

-Eric
11-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

I have a K-7 and I continue to use. I also have a K-01 and K-3. I believe that you received already a lot of good comments, and I would stress two suggestions most relevant IMHO:

-Buy another K-7 with a low shutter count - it will be cheap

-Buy a K-3 in replacement - The K-3 has almost the same layout as the K-7 and is very intuitive to use.

The K-3 would be a major improvement in IQ IMO.

Hope that the comment may help.
11-19-2019, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from K100D super to K7 to K5IIs and recently KP. The handling and layout on the K5IIs would not be much of an adjustment coming from the K7, and the images you can get from it are better and easier to work with. Or K3 or K3II for a little more money. Or KP for even more money and ergonomically quite different.