Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Battery used in Upcoming APS this Spring

Anyone know or have a guess what battery will be in the recently announced flagship being released in the spring? Thanks.

11-24-2019, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Battery used in Upcoming APS this Spring
As it is a flagship body, it will have the same battery as the K-5, K-3 & K-1. The smaller K-50 type would be down grading and I can't see that happening.
11-24-2019, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hopefully they continue to use the same battery as the K1, K3, and K5. Nice to be able to use the same battery and charger for two cameras when taking apsc and ff out at the same time.
11-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The best guess is that it will be the same D-LI90 used in the K-3 and K-1.

One could envision them creating a 3-cell 21 Wh battery for 50% more power to support higher FPS, faster SD card writing, faster processing, etc. A bigger battery would mean big changes to the battery door. Ricoh has not released pictures of the underside of the camera, so it is possible. However, if the battery door were different, I'd think someone would have noticed it and said something by now.

As with all things K-new, we'll just have to wait (impatiently) and see!

11-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Iím going to vote for the DI90...
So I can use K-01 batteries in it...

But we wonít really know until we see the announcement with specs...

-Eric
11-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all, that's the battery I'm hoping for as well, the D-LI90. Glad to see your general consensus on that, I think that may make it more likely.

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 09:47 AM ----------

Oh, and why the heck didn't they use that one on the KP. . . ?
11-24-2019, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think not using the D-LI90 in the flagship APS-C would be a huge error. Standardization of batteries across the bodies I use is of primary importance. Since they have stated that this will be a K-3 replacement I think we can be assured it will use the same battery and not the smaller one found in the K-70 & KP.
11-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

Why an old type of battery in a new type of camera

Ofcourse they will not use that old DLi 90. It has to be a newly developed battery to make at least a 1000 pictures half of them with flash. If Pentax (read: Ricoh) can not come up with a new fabulous battery what is the point of buying the new flagship?

11-24-2019, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
It has to be a newly developed battery to make at least a 1000 pictures half of them with flash. If Pentax (read: Ricoh) can not come up with a new fabulous battery what is the point of buying the new flagship?
Humor/sarcasm aside, RIcoh is not in the business of making batteries.
11-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Given that
QuoteQuote:
Initially, we designed [the KP] as a replacement for the K-3 Mark II, but we realised that we were selling it a lot more to non-Pentax customers.
Read more at: interview with Ricoh Imaging General Sales Manager for Europe - PentaxForums.com

It might be more up in the air than people might think. This is where the guy who actually held one might come in handy.
11-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't want to sound dogmatic about the battery, I'm still considering the KP at the great current price from Ricoh, especially after the sales code is added ($599 shipped), even thought the KP has the smaller battery. Guess I've been spoiled by the duration of my K-5 IIs with the D-LI90 batteries.
11-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't want to sound dogmatic about the battery, I'm still considering the KP at the great current price from Ricoh, especially after the sales code is added ($599 shipped), even thought the KP has the smaller battery. Guess I've been spoiled by the duration of my K-5 IIs with the D-LI90 batteries.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the battery life on the KP, with light flash use (occasional fill) I have gotten over 600 shots in a day on one battery. I believe CIPA numbers are 50% flash on, and with the KP, you have a lot less need for flash use. Go for the deal! you will be happy after you start using the KP regularly.
11-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the battery life on the KP, with light flash use (occasional fill) I have gotten over 600 shots in a day on one battery. I believe CIPA numbers are 50% flash on, and with the KP, you have a lot less need for flash use. Go for the deal! you will be happy after you start using the KP regularly.
Thanks, glad to hear your hand-on experience with the battery. The stated life in the reviews I've read was much lower.
11-24-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #14

Thanks, glad to hear your hand-on experience with the battery. The stated life in the reviews I've read was much lower.
Most of the reviews I've read have suggested that the CIPA battery life ratings tend to be pessimistic, due to the 50% flash on assumption. Your mileage may vary, of course.

The venerable D-LI90 battery would be nice for compatibility's sake, but I'm not sure if it would be up to powering all the whiz-bang new features that people have speculated are in the K-new. For example, what's the current draw on a hybrid viewfinder?

I also thought the K-new did not have a flash; lacking one would eliminate one possible source of battery drain.
11-24-2019, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

If you shoot Raw or Raw+ with no processing of jpegs in the camera you also use less power. If you wait for a jpeg to process for NR or sharpening or filtering, it is using power from the battery, so that could definitely affect your results. I have all of that turned off unless for some reason I need to shoot a quick jpeg, and even then I like the natural SOOC jpegs on the KP. I wish they had a deal like this last March when I paid the going rate for mine!🤨