11-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EVFs and Eye Strain

Interesting take on EVFs and eye strain

Is this a big OVF advantage?

11-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Sorry ... I just can't take anyone with that sort of gung-ho approach seriously ... wide-angle lens, low-level viewpoint, waving hands, shouting into the mic ... this video is a health hazard in it's own right!

As for EVF's, I've yet to experience one that I'd want to use on a full-time basis! As a compositional aid with an auto-focus lens, fine, if the subject isn't moving too fast
11-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Having your eye glued to a tiny screen backlit with LEDs, which are well known to use dangerous blue light, will strain anyone's eye, compared to an optical viewfinder. I already have headaches when tired and using my OVF too much, I don't even imagine the hells it would be for me if this was an EVF!
11-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've tried EVFs from Fujifilm (a couple models, don't remember which), Olympus (a couple models, up to EM5 II), Sony (several modules, up to A7II and RX100 VI) and Sony (G7 series). They all get me a bit dizzy if I move the camera around too much.

I spend all day working on a computer. Sometimes I go home and have to study on a computer. So when taking pictures it's great to just see through optical glass it's part of what I like about photography, and I don't care about those who call me a Luddite or whatnot...

11-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I've tried EVFs from Fujifilm (a couple models, don't remember which), Olympus (a couple models, up to EM5 II), Sony (several modules, up to A7II and RX100 VI) and Sony (G7 series). They all get me a bit dizzy if I move the camera around too much.

I spend all day working on a computer. Sometimes I go home and have to study on a computer. So when taking pictures it's great to just see through optical glass it's part of what I like about photography, and I don't care about those who call me a Luddite or whatnot...
That's a good point. Looking at screens all day...computer, cell phone, TV. The OVF is a welcome change for me too.
11-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I've gotten older, presbyopia has set in so I can't focus close (in fact my resting focus is beyond infinity now). To use an EVF, I have to use fairly strong reading glasses which are a pain to have to pop on every time I want to compose a photo this way. My OVF is adjusted to my vision so no need for glasses there, and it works in bright light with no need to shade the screen in bright conditions. I'm not saying down with EFVs because I do use them and have three mirror-less cameras where I have no choice, but I use the OVF 90% of the time because of the forelisted issues, and as ChristianRock stated, like the quality image an OVF provides. One application where EVFs excels is for fine focusing (usually with the camera on a tripod) using a camera which offers magnification. Manually focusing a lens is greatly enhanced, a feature OVFs don't offer.

Last edited by Bob 256; 11-26-2019 at 12:27 PM.
11-26-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

With poorly calibrated focussing screens in dslr's making focus a hit and miss experience I have turned to live view for focussing. My next camera will have an EVF and if Ricoh doesn't have one by then it will not be a Pentax.

11-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is true 100%. Eyestrain from an incident light (usually from the LED) are much harsh than a passive light into an OVF. I have had several image retention issues with EVFs and hate to use them. I know I am getting old but this will sooner or later cause trouble.
11-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is evident that this man made this video for the purpose of helping others who may be experiencing the same kind of problem he has, but do not yet know the cause. Also to warn those who are contemplating extensive use of cameras having an EVF in place of an OVF, that this problem lurks for some users. He is careful to state clearly that he is merely relating his own experience, which may or may not be similar for others.

Something to be considered, indeed. I think I might be similarly affected upon extensive use of an EVF, because I cannot do much in the way of extensive reading on a computer screen without my eyes hurting, and even a headache or just not feeling well. I often put on sunglasses if I will be reading things on the computer for more than a brief period of time. But as he says, people do often vary as to what conditions bring about negative results for their bodies.
11-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never been a fan of EVFs. There is a huge lag even on a Leica. Not good for fast moving objects. Or even slow moving for that matter.
11-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

So, this guy is stating that you can not control the brightness of the EVF? That sounds to me as being just a little bogus. How about opening both eyes and adjusting the brightness of the EVF to match what the "unaided" eye detects as brightness. It is a well known factoid that people usually have their screen brightness turned up way to high, maybe the same thing for EVF's?
11-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see any advantage in having an EVF at this point.
11-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

A advantage that I can see would be a real time histogram. Another advantage (for me) would be the association with a silent or really quiet shutter. Note: I am assuming that if you are using a EVF you are using a mirrorless camera.

To be honest, I really hate using LV because I am acutely near-sighted. Without my glasses, I have to get within three inches (7.62 cm) to see the screen, I can see it flicker and I can see the black lines between the pixels if the image is "just right". Even with my reading glasses that are good to about three feet (91.44 cm) I can not see the LCD clearly. So, that means that a EVF has to have a flicker rate that will not drive me nuts and I would have to concentrate and not look for the black lines separating the pixels. I would have to carry more batteries too.
11-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Bad eyesight and shoot predominantly at night, LV helps me a lot. I have try number of modern EVF camera (from people I shoot with), they all seem to help me manual focus at night.
As of day time shooting, I can see/guess OVF would be better for eyes.
11-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
So, this guy is stating that you can not control the brightness of the EVF? That sounds to me as being just a little bogus. How about opening both eyes and adjusting the brightness of the EVF to match what the "unaided" eye detects as brightness. It is a well known factoid that people usually have their screen brightness turned up way to high, maybe the same thing for EVF's?
That is a problem for me. If I dim the computer screen enough or wear sunglasses, reading is a bit harder to distinguish. No doubt the same with using a dimmed EVF, while an OVF would be bright enough without the eyestrain- somehow true though someone else might give the technical differences and reasons.