Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best Pentax vody to convert IR?

Wanting to save up for a conversion. Asking for advice for what to look out for as I cruise the CLs and local pawnshops.

Thanks.

10-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hack a DS into an IR DSLR?

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Wanting to save up for a conversion. Asking for advice for what to look out for as I cruise the CLs and local pawnshops.

Thanks.
You may get a DS as someone succeeded in hacking it and here are the detailed procedures with photos:

http://www.xdeltax.com/tutirmodding/index.html

With other models, you may need to find your own way to do it nor we know if it is practically convertable or not.
10-21-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cheaper the vetter.
10-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say the *ist DL2 or K100D series would be ideal. The sensor is particularly IR friendly and can be modded easily enough, though I personally don't think one should DIY a conversion unless you absolutely know what to do.

The jpeg output from them are much better than the preceding models, plus they have 2.5" LCD screens, which is useful to gauge exposure with the histogram. My *ist DL2 has no Shake Reduction but it this isn't such a big deal as most good IR shots are shot in bright daylight.

10-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
The cheaper the vetter.
Jest vat aye vas dinking....

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I would say the *ist DL2 or K100D series would be ideal. The sensor is particularly IR friendly and can be modded easily enough, though I personally don't think one should DIY a conversion unless you absolutely know what to do.

The jpeg output from them are much better than the preceding models, plus they have 2.5" LCD screens, which is useful to gauge exposure with the histogram. My *ist DL2 has no Shake Reduction but it this isn't such a big deal as most good IR shots are shot in bright daylight.
Cool. This is the one I was leaning toward. I'll be keeping my eye out on the local 4sale board. How is the model name pronounced? "star-ist"? or just DL2

As for a DIY project... I am all up for many such... Was even an Electronic Tech in the Navy in a dim and distant past... But no; not for me. I'll get it converted. read a horror story in this forum of a DIY gone bad.

Though a good project will be making IR lens covers for all of my flashes! I could set up 3-4 in a club and flood it with light and no one would notice any more than a red blip. Well...Maybe a flash of heat.
10-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Jest vat aye vas dinking....

Cool. This is the one I was leaning toward. I'll be keeping my eye out on the local 4sale board. How is the model name pronounced? "star-ist"? or just DL2

As for a DIY project... I am all up for many such... Was even an Electronic Tech in the Navy in a dim and distant past... But no; not for me. I'll get it converted. read a horror story in this forum of a DIY gone bad.

Though a good project will be making IR lens covers for all of my flashes! I could set up 3-4 in a club and flood it with light and no one would notice any more than a red blip. Well...Maybe a flash of heat.
I would disagree. I would get the camera professionally converted, which is $300+, so skimping on the original body does not make sense. Converting yourself is possible, but you have to get the replacement filter exactly right or you will have focusing issues. (focusing offset must be positive or you won't be able to focus at infinity).
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
I would disagree. I would get the camera professionally converted, which is $300+, so skimping on the original body does not make sense. Converting yourself is possible, but you have to get the replacement filter exactly right or you will have focusing issues. (focusing offset must be positive or you won't be able to focus at infinity).
I will have the conversion done professionally. I respect learning curves. Suggestion welcomed.

As for the body: jfavage you suggest going for a "better" body. As I understand it the *ist DL2 is recommended because of the overall good build and sensor sensitivity to IR. Which other body would you recommend and what are the features that you feel make that more suited for conversion?

Anybody else?