Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #1

which Pentax DSLR to purchase?

New to this forum, and intend to use it more often....hope I'm posting in the best location.

I've done a fair amount of online digging, read reviews for several Pentax DSLRs, but still could use suggestions as to which one to purchase.

I tend to shoot wildlife off and on, some action/sports, but mostly landscapes & architecture with an increasing interest in casual portraits, so it's in regards to subject matter I'm all over the place. I've always owned a Pentax, loved my old medium format 6x7 film camera. Finally purchased a K30 about 6 years ago, and a couple lenses: Pentax D FA 2.8 24-70MM & Pentax D FA 2.8 70-200. I've enjoyed the K30, but lately find myself wanting more. I'm generally pleased with the pictures, but find myself wanting sharper images/higher resolution. Can't help wanting to go full frame, but know there are drawbacks to that too....so is that the real solution?
Video is not a top priority. A built-in flash would get used, but that shouldn't make/break the deal, I would likely just have to learn how to use my Lumopro LP180 (actually want to learn how to use it, just haven't found a good resource to follow up on that).
This post is rather scattered, and it likely reflects where I am with my equipment. I just want to know I've got the DSLR that best suits me and really invest time/energy for years to come. Glad to provide more info if needed.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

11-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sactodaddyo Quote
but mostly landscapes & architecture with an increasing interest in casual portraits
K-1 (ii)......you have very good glass.....

I tend to shoot wildlife off and on, some action/sports
k-3 (ii) for burst rate and the pseudo reach from being aps-c .....k-70....k-p......
11-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I do not know what the drawbacks for FF you are referring to, I only know one: the price.

If not the K1 II your choice wlill be limited to the K3 II
For wildlife the 70-200 will be a little short.

A used K5 II would be another possibility, that body has the improved AF system.

Your wishes cover a wide range.
For wildlife a large non zoom lens will be a good choice.

Last edited by Fluegel; 11-30-2019 at 02:20 AM.
11-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New to this forum, and intend to use it more often....hope I'm posting in the best location.

I've done a fair amount of online digging, read reviews for several Pentax DSLRs, but still could use suggestions as to which one to purchase.

I tend to shoot wildlife off and on, some action/sports, but mostly landscapes & architecture with an increasing interest in casual portraits, so it's in regards to subject matter I'm all over the place. I've always owned a Pentax, loved my old medium format 6x7 film camera. Finally purchased a K30 about 6 years ago, and a couple lenses: Pentax D FA 2.8 24-70MM & Pentax D FA 2.8 70-200. I've enjoyed the K30, but lately find myself wanting more. I'm generally pleased with the pictures, but find myself wanting sharper images/higher resolution. Can't help wanting to go full frame, but know there are drawbacks to that too....so is that the real solution?
Video is not a top priority. A built-in flash would get used, but that shouldn't make/break the deal, I would likely just have to learn how to use my Lumopro LP180 (actually want to learn how to use it, just haven't found a good resource to follow up on that).
This post is rather scattered, and it likely reflects where I am with my equipment. I just want to know I've got the DSLR that best suits me and really invest time/energy for years to come. Glad to provide more info if needed.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
I might wait for the new APS-C flagship that's due to be out early next year. Also, the KP is worth checking out if you're looking for a deal for a high-performance crop body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KP is your best bet for the present, with a great price right now. The KP has superb IQ and autofocus. There is the new APS-C flagship coming sometime next year if you wish to wait, there is a lot of speculation in other parts of the forum of what it may or may not offer.
11-29-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Given the glass you own.... I'd get a K1.... maybe a lightly used 2nd hand one (K1ii doesnt offer much more in my view).... then later maybe a crop camera to compliment it... (KP is cheap)... it's what I've settled on.

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-29-2019 at 05:26 PM.
11-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the same situation not long ago and ended up with a K1ii second hand, I am glad I did go that way, I have zero regrets buying the k1.

11-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You got good glass indeed.

For landscape and architecture the K-1 or K-1II would be ideal. I also use the DFA 15-35 on my K-1 for landscapes.

If you prefer APSC then it would be the KP wich has excellent image quality just like the K-1.

For wildlife, action/sports I'd wait for the upcoming new camera if you are concerned about burst rate and fast focussing. The K-1ii isn't too bad and can do it (especially with the DFA*70-200), but there is a good chance that the new body will be even quicker and perhaps has a larger buffer. The KP lacks a bit regarding the buffer. On crop sensor you won't get so wide on the wide end, but you might benefit form the extra "reach" on the long end. It depends on your preferences.
11-29-2019, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Get a K1 and don't look back. It does not disappoint.
11-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
I do not know what the drawbacks for FF you are reffering to, I only know one: the price.. . .
with regard to possible drawbacks to the K 1 and K 1 II [ full frame sensor ]

I will refer you to the view point of a fellow member, normhead, who posts a lot of great wildlife photos:

QuoteQuote:
If I can just chirp in, (cause I always do) in my 3 years with a K-1 I've made not one large print that would justify the purchase. I'm in a different position in that I already have an FF, but if anything I've been less than impressed with the K-1 experience. My next camera will a be K-P or the K-new, no more FF for me. It's just not relevant to my photography. I may never buy another FF. It's nice, but the cost if you look at lenses is excessive. Mind you if you were happy before with the 16-85, a DFA 28-105 would be all you'd need.

I've compared my APS-c images with 20-24 MP FF images, and they hold up very well , as would your K-5. The biggest advantage to the K-1 in my mind is how much you can crop and still have a functional 4k ( 8 MP) image, or even 12 or 16. A 20-24 MP FF makes no sense for my shooting. All you get is shallower Depth of Field at the same f-stop, and for most of my images, that's not a good thing.

Personally if all my stuff went today, I would be very unlikely to replace the K-1. But since I have it I'll use it.
Tess shoots side by side with her K-5, there is rarely a detectable difference if ever, on any method if display we have.

Full frame or APS-c, you be the judge. - PentaxForums.com

Many who think they would prefer FF images, actually preferred APS-c images, when they didn't know which image was taken with which camera. The FF is definitely harder to manage with twice the weight in glass to do the same thing. So, more money for less capability. Now that I own one, trying to sell me another would be tough.
Read more at: K5ii to Full frame - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I would recommend you look for a K 3 II and the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-f45-56-ed-dc-aw.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-prelim/introduction.html
11-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As i am rather new to this I cannot give an answer beyond What i have experienced with the K-70. I am fairly good with questions and with my philosophy is that the camera including lenses and other hardware are just tools. The focus I think you need to nail down is what results you want. Maybe someone can suggest an all around camera that will do high quality landscapes and action but I tend to think that different tools are needed for the different jobs. Same with quality. Social media to professional gallery photos call for different capabilities, Obviously, I am not saying something you don't already know. Spend time planning on what you need in the end and then find the box that has the attributes that will make it happen, and you happy.
11-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

since the OP is from the United States, renting equipment is a possibility

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

true it will cost some $ but it would give the OP a chance to try out equipment without buying

and LensRental.com is running a current special

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com
11-29-2019, 06:20 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I do not know what the drawbacks for FF you are reffering to, I only know one: the price.
  1. Price of camera
  2. Shorter telephoto reach
  3. Size and weight of the camera
  4. Need to buy new lenses (if transitioning from APS-C)
  5. Price of DFA lenses
  6. Size and weight of DFA lenses
  7. Size of the files
  8. Reduced burst rate
  9. Need for sturdier tripod
  10. ...
11-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some random points to consider:

mostly landscapes & architecture, find myself wanting sharper images/higher resolution

A camera body without an AA filter and with pixel shift technology will give you the highest resolution in general terms. No AA filter means the possibility of moire (false color) effects in scenes with fine repeating patterns, such as can occur in architecture, bird feathers, textiles, and animal fur. Some camera bodies have an AA filter simulator that can be turned on to minimize such problems.

For action/sports, low image noise at high ISO settings can be important. Crank up the ISO and speed up the shutter to freeze action. I assume that the higher the highest available ISO setting is, the more likely the camera will have low noise at any given lower setting, say 3200 for example.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 11-29-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: .
11-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #15

Original Poster
I do not know what the drawbacks for FF you are reffering to, I only know one: the price.

If not the K1 II your choice wlill be limited to the K3 II
For wildlife the 70-200 will be a little short.

A used K5 II would be another possibility, that body has the improved AF system.

Your wishes cover a wide range.
For wildlife a large non zoom lens will be a good choice.
Size of the camera, slower FPS, no built in flash, and price of course.