Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the thing to remember about the extended warranties I know about

they start on date of sale

so if the factory warranty is 12 months

and you buy a third party multi year warranty on top of that

the first year of each warranty runs at the same time

so if you buy an 2 year extended third party warranty, you only get 1 year extra not two

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2019 at 06:16 PM.
11-30-2019, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

The Pentax extended warranties I have had, always added two years onto the already one year which was provided with the purchase of the Pentax camera.

The warranty that has been mentioned by the original post specs state (at B and H site): "Key Features
Extends Standard Warranty to Three Years".

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-30-2019 at 06:05 PM.
11-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for catching an error

I meant to say " third party "

and changed my post to make it clear

third party offered by some thing other than Pentax
11-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is not a 3rd party warranty. It is from Ricoh, so I would check with Ricoh to make sure it applies to the KP, as Adam suggests also.

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Do I understand you correctly that you think the USA is still the center of the universe?
I got news for you: it is not.

Why not start using and enjoying your KP instead of worrying about extended warranty that you will not need anyway?

Congratulations on your decision to buy the KP and not waiting for the new Kx.

PaulF
Just a misunderstanding. He was just complaining that here in the US we are denied the same benefit of available warranty as can be had in Europe.

I have bought extended warranties when the camera price was a good deal and the warranty price reasonable. I did use the warranty only on one occasion maybe 10 years ago, and it probably did save me more than I paid for it. Others I bought I wound up not needing, but then if I had, modern cameras involving so much in electronics, they can be quite expensive to repair. But in this case, the warranty might not apply to the KP after all, and yes, many credit cards do offer another year's protection at no charge.

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 06:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hey, I finally got that KP I've been wanting for 2 years. Didn't buy the extended warranty because I know I can buy it within 30 days, but just now I see that B&H has it for $50 instead of $110. This is the right thing, right?

Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video
Good for you! I'm sure you will love it. The price at B&H right now is great, quite amazing for such an advanced and beautifully-built camera. If you at least sometimes shoot JPEG images, the KP's processor is exceptionally good, but make sure you implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the most often used "Bright" category. This will assure maximum fine detail clarity in your images.

11-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The $50 warranty should be valid. You could certainly reach out to Ricoh directly to make sure.

Also, remember that most CC's will give you an extra year of warranty as a free benefit.
Not all but some-definitely worth looking. My American Express has 25 off purchase at Adorama for me, but the Amex won't extend my warranty. My Visa will. I may use the visa just for that reason.
11-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I did buy an extended " Square Trade " warranty when I bought my K 3

and ended up using it with about 3 weeks of coverage left

I don't mean to say that extended warranties, either from Pentax or a third party, are bad

just make sure you know what you are buying when you get one

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2019 at 08:49 PM.
11-30-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Do I understand you correctly that you think the USA is still the center of the universe?
I got news for you: it is not.

Why not start using and enjoying your KP instead of worrying about extended warranty that you will not need anyway?

Congratulations on your decision to buy the KP and not waiting for the new Kx.

PaulF
I hate to tell You this ! I always get as much extended warranty as possible.....and...YES....I have used it on two occasions with a k5ii and a KP !
So to suggest that the OP is needlessly worrying about something that will never happen is simply incorrect and false.
Cameras FAIL and that's why I also purchased the warranty when I saw this thread for my new 2nd KP.
Your hostile sounding comment about the USA being the "Center of the Universe ?...…...I believe it IS ….and if it isn't....its pretty Close !

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 21:07 ----------

Hey, I finally got that KP I've been wanting for 2 years. Didn't buy the extended warranty because I know I can buy it within 30 days, but just now I see that B&H has it for $50 instead of $110. This is the right thing, right?

I ordered mine tonight ! Thanks !
I think you will enjoy the KP.....this is my 2nd one !
Congrats.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 11-30-2019 at 08:08 PM.
11-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I sent a request to Ricoh to clarify. If the $50 one is good, I'll definitely get it. If I have to go for the $110 one, then I'll think about it. Did they used to be cheaper? (I guess the cameras were as well.) I bought an extended warranty for earlier bodies (K-5 and earlier), I remember them being a no-brainer at the time.
11-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The K30 and the K50 were the exceptions to the rule that large numbers of Pentax DSLRs provide reliable use to their owners year after year.
Many of these cameras even exceed their estimated shutter life.
No use worrying about possible problems with a new camera.
11-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I sent a request to Ricoh to clarify. If the $50 one is good, I'll definitely get it. If I have to go for the $110 one, then I'll think about it. Did they used to be cheaper? (I guess the cameras were as well.) I bought an extended warranty for earlier bodies (K-5 and earlier), I remember them being a no-brainer at the time.
They seemed to raise the price overall when the K-1 was released.
11-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I'm in the USA where everyone is out to screw me with predatory capitalism.
Don't worry, that thing is coming in Europe... We see more and more ruthless ways to run business, things that would have been borderline illegal, at least unethical, are now becoming the new normal.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-30-2019 at 09:47 PM.
11-30-2019, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a stretch when the extended warranty was something like $20, so yeah definitely "no-brainer" territory.
11-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Congratulations!
12-01-2019, 02:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian

And so did I, together with DA 20-40. Soon it will be joined by the new APS-C flagship.

Last edited by zzeitg; 12-01-2019 at 02:15 AM.
12-01-2019, 02:15 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven’t bought an extended warranty with anything photographic. Of course, nothing’s infallible but I’ve tended to work on the balance of probability. My K-5 (now donated to my son) is still going strong after seven years, and the current K-3II the same after more than four.