Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2019, 02:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Don't worry, that thing is coming in Europe... We see more and more ruthless ways to run business, things that would have been borderline illegal, at least unethical, are now becoming the new normal.
Well, that will be difficult in the EU-part of Europe at least. That's where EU directives provide you with at least a two year conformity period (where you can expect goods to peform in conformity with what can reasonably be expected). I would - and any judge in the EU I'd say - would expect a € 1000 camera to function for a period of two years. I could even expect it to function for several years thereafter, so you'll have statutory protection for at least two years. Any business trying to undercut that will run into legal trouble.

Whatever insurance you take out: do enjoy the camera and share the pictures.

12-01-2019, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Virginia is
I guess you mean the Northern Piedmont part of Virginia?

I thought Wangaratta, Victoria Australia was!
12-01-2019, 03:36 AM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I did it, bought the KP finally.
Now you've got your most coveted possession... enjoy it.

12-01-2019, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've only recently reconnected with my inner APS-C photographer, having shot FF almost exclusively for 3 years. My old K3 is enjoying the attention, mostly with the DFA 150-450. The improved high-ISO performance of the KP is very tempting though, especially with the current attractive pricing. However, the projected K-new is intriguing; I will wait to see what it brings to the table.

Enjoy your KP, and post some shots.
I am the same.... poor K3... about to sell it.... bought a KP last week... not sure if my inner APSC inner mojo will be re-ignited... but it's silver.

12-01-2019, 03:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Looking at the reputation of Pentax cameras through the years I think extended warranty is not very useful.
The chances a Pentax camera will fail are small. I know of the problems of the K50 and the K70 bodies.
These were not representative for the quality of Pentax cameras.

In Europe owners can demand correction of these problems free of charge.
Buyers of quality products may expect many years of functioning of their gear even after the factory warranty has expired.
I would say for Pentax cameras this would mean a minimum of five years after the purchase of the camera.

Statistically the largest chance of problems lies in the period of the first months after the first use of the camera.
Those incidents are covered by factory warranty.
Extended warranty is a simple means to make money while taking very litte or no risk at all.
12-01-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Looking at the reputation of Pentax cameras through the years I think extended warranty is not very useful.
The chances a Pentax camera will fail are small. I know of the problems of the K50 and the K70 bodies.
These were not representative for the quality of Pentax cameras.

In Europe owners can demand correction of these problems free of charge.
Buyers of quality products may expect many years of functioning of their gear even after the factory warranty has expired.
I would say for Pentax cameras this would mean a minimum of five years after the purchase of the camera.

Statistically the largest chance of problems lies in the period of the first months after the first use of the camera.
Those incidents are covered by factory warranty.
Extended warranty is a simple means to make money while taking very litte or no risk at all.
Extended warranties are like insurance policies, though... they're not useful until they are. Statistics and probabilities are all well and good until your gear actually fails. If you're in the tiny minority of - for example - K-3 owners whose camera no longer powers on, or K-1 owners whose mode dial fails outside the initial warranty period, you'd thank your lucky stars for an extended warranty that cost just $50, given that Precision Camera charges more than $200 just to look at a faulty camera.

Like I said, personally I don't buy extended warranties. It's a gamble I'm willing to take - potentially expensive, but with the odds very much in my favour. Those who do buy them are gambling their money on very long odds that they might need a repair after the initial warranty expires. I've yet to have a camera or lens fail on me outside of warranty (at least, not that I can remember)... but - statistically - it's going to happen eventually.

In an ideal world, every single extended warranty should wind up being a total waste of money due to equipment that is perfectly designed, perfectly constructed and 100% reliable. But we all know equipment isn't like that; nothing, sadly, is quite so perfect. In reality, a very small percentage of cameras, lenses and other equipment do fail outside the manufacturer's warranty. Whether we choose to insure against that or take our chances is up to each of us. Either way, we roll the dice...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-01-2019 at 05:59 AM.
12-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old $20 Pentax extended warranty was probably worth it because it was so inexpensive. A small fraction of the cost of most repairs. As the cost of extended warranties approached and then passed 10% of the replacement cost they became unattractive.

12-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Of course it isn't. Virginia is.

As to the extended "warranty": it's not really a "warranty" at all. A "warranty" is a promise made by the seller at the time of sale (not the manufacturer or an insurance company) that the goods will perform to certain standards, be of a particular style, or meet certain criteria. So if you buy the "extended warranty" from B&H, then B&H is warranting that you'll be able to get your camera fixed during the period of the "extension". But what's really going on is that they're selling you an insurance policy.

The reason manufacturers now include "warranty" statements with their products is an American statutory weirdness known as the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Enforcement Act, which actually has nothing to do with warranties at all, but with the period of time in which you can get your stuff fixed for free if it's got problems (often limited to correction of defects in manufacturing or materials).

So the question whether you should spring the fifty bucks for the "extended warranty" is really a matter of taking a bet. You're betting the camera will fail, they're betting it won't, and fifty bucks is the ante. Since it'll cost you twice that just to have Precision Camera figure out what's wrong with it if it does break, I'd say, go for it. (Though to be honest, I never do, self-insured as it were. But a sale is a sale.)
This warranty is "from" Ricoh/Pentax no matter where I buy it. B&H is just the seller. (They also include a free inspection/calibration within the 3 years if you want.) They have been offering these since the K10D at least (I think they added the free inspection part later) -- like I said I've bought them before but it has been a few generations since I've gotten a new Pentax body (my current bodies are the K-5 & K-01, plus some Q-series bodies). It is just strange that it is cheaper at B&H (if in-fact it is the same thing), so was looking for clarification.

As far as the "is it worth it", "should I be worried about it at all", etc, really I'm well aware of all these things. (I will point out that I've needed warranty service on 50% of my Pentax APS-C bodies so far though.)
12-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This warranty is "from" Ricoh/Pentax no matter where I buy it. B&H is just the seller. (They also include a free inspection/calibration within the 3 years if you want.) They have been offering these since the K10D at least (I think they added the free inspection part later) -- like I said I've bought them before but it has been a few generations since I've gotten a new Pentax body (my current bodies are the K-5 & K-01, plus some Q-series bodies). It is just strange that it is cheaper at B&H (if in-fact it is the same thing), so was looking for clarification.

As far as the "is it worth it", "should I be worried about it at all", etc, really I'm well aware of all these things. (I will point out that I've needed warranty service on 50% of my Pentax APS-C bodies so far though.)
Oh my! What bad luck. Pretty sure that that is not even close to the norm. Hope your luck improves.
12-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Extended warranties are like insurance policies, though... they're not useful until they are. Statistics and probabilities are all well and good until your gear actually fails. If you're in the tiny minority of - for example - K-3 owners whose camera no longer powers on, or K-1 owners whose mode dial fails outside the initial warranty period, you'd thank your lucky stars for an extended warranty that cost just $50, given that Precision Camera charges more than $200 just to look at a faulty camera.

Like I said, personally I don't buy extended warranties. It's a gamble I'm willing to take - potentially expensive, but with the odds very much in my favour. Those who do buy them are gambling their money on very long odds that they might need a repair after the initial warranty expires. I've yet to have a camera or lens fail on me outside of warranty (at least, not that I can remember)... but - statistically - it's going to happen eventually.

In an ideal world, every single extended warranty should wind up being a total waste of money due to equipment that is perfectly designed, perfectly constructed and 100% reliable. But we all know equipment isn't like that; nothing, sadly, is quite so perfect. In reality, a very small percentage of cameras, lenses and other equipment do fail outside the manufacturer's warranty. Whether we choose to insure against that or take our chances is up to each of us. Either way, we roll the dice...
Absolutely true.
I like to add that choosing a used body with good reputation for reliability will improve your chances of trouble free use.
The forum helped me avoid the K 50 and the K70.
The K5 I got recently does not disappoint me sofar. Lets see what the future brings.
12-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Is it just me or is KP's value increasing over time. I've been following prices for some time now and they never seem to go down. I guess that tiny piece of tech marvel is really worth it!
12-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Is it just me or is KP's value increasing over time. I've been following prices for some time now and they never seem to go down. I guess that tiny piece of tech marvel is really worth it!
It's currently available in the UK on a Black Friday / Cyber Monday deal of GBP £649. I've seen it go as low as £599 once from one supplier (Jessops) last year, but not for long, and never since. Pricing is, to some extent, defined by the market - it's fairly easy for Ricoh and its dealers to ascertain reasonable upper and lower pricing boundaries based on demand for the product when adjustments are made... Which pretty much supports your last statement; yes, that tiny piece of tech marvel is really worth it - as voted by the consumers
12-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I ordered mine tonight ! Thanks !
I think you will enjoy the KP.....this is my 2nd one !
Congrats.
I have two of them as well! So I certainly understand. Congratulations! I was so taken with my first one, when the next price special came along I went for another body- that's been more than a year now, and I am glad I did so! I now have two silver beauties, and some additional silver Limited gems to go on them, which perform as terrifically as they look. I keep different grips on each as an added convenience.

Those in addition to my little K-S2, and my stalwart, still fine K-5 IIs which are used as backup or alternates as the situation indicates.

I agree that an extended warranty is worth getting, especially if the cost is low.
12-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent a request to Ricoh to clarify. If the $50 one is good, I'll definitely get it. If I have to go for the $110 one, then I'll think about it. Did they used to be cheaper? (I guess the cameras were as well.) I bought an extended warranty for earlier bodies (K-5 and earlier), I remember them being a no-brainer at the time.
Yeah, as luftfluss says, they used to be very reasonable, which is why I usually went for it.

BTW, I love your username- no doubt meaning a background of aristocratic origin-

---------- Post added 12-01-19 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I am the same.... poor K3... about to sell it.... bought a KP last week... not sure if my inner APSC inner mojo will be re-ignited... but it's silver.
Congrats to you also! A different animal to be sure, but I love mine! I welcomed the optional quality silver finish- looks great! I'm sure you'll enjoy its capabilities.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-01-2019 at 03:58 PM.
12-02-2019, 01:55 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Congratulations in owning such a beautiful camera.