Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2019, 02:11 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

I did it, bought the KP finally. So...the extended warranty.

Hey, I finally got that KP I've been wanting for 2 years. Didn't buy the extended warranty because I know I can buy it within 30 days, but just now I see that B&H has it for $50 instead of $110. This is the right thing, right?

Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

11-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

In the netherlands 5 years warranty
11-30-2019, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
In the netherlands 5 years warranty
Don't brag. Yes, I'm in the USA where everyone is out to screw me with predatory capitalism.
11-30-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It states "for all Ricoh and Pentax interchangeable lens cameras with an MSRP under $1000. It extends their existing warranty to three years and includes one free inspection." So whatever cost it is, that is what it covers, indicating that it is for the cameras that are under $1000 (including Pentax KP).

If you do purchase it, I would advise that you hold on to and copy the receipt, and do the same with the warranty card itself.

Happy shooting with your KP.

11-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmm...but even though I got it with a black friday deal, the MSRP is still 1096.99. So maybe it doesn't apply. B&H doesn't even have one for $110, but Adorama does. But it doesn't have any details about sub-$1000 or $1000 & up...
11-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've only recently reconnected with my inner APS-C photographer, having shot FF almost exclusively for 3 years. My old K3 is enjoying the attention, mostly with the DFA 150-450. The improved high-ISO performance of the KP is very tempting though, especially with the current attractive pricing. However, the projected K-new is intriguing; I will wait to see what it brings to the table.

Enjoy your KP, and post some shots.
11-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've only recently reconnected with my inner APS-C photographer ...

Enjoy your KP, and post some shots.
I love how you describe this, hahaha

11-30-2019, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hmmm...but even though I got it with a black friday deal, the MSRP is still 1096.99. So maybe it doesn't apply. B&H doesn't even have one for $110, but Adorama does. But it doesn't have any details about sub-$1000 or $1000 & up...
If the price you pay is under $1000, I would assume that the receipt you receive would apply as your purchase. You also could confide in the seller for any type of guideline, but price is price.
11-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If the price you pay is under $1000, I would assume that the receipt you receive would apply as your purchase. You also could confide in the seller for any type of guideline, but price is price.
Not sure about that. Ricoh doesn't even seem to have the warranty on their site. It is fairly unclear.
11-30-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hey, I finally got that KP I've been wanting for 2 years. Didn't buy the extended warranty because I know I can buy it within 30 days, but just now I see that B&H has it for $50 instead of $110. This is the right thing, right?

The $50 warranty should be valid. You could certainly reach out to Ricoh directly to make sure.

Also, remember that most CC's will give you an extra year of warranty as a free benefit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2019, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Don't brag. Yes, I'm in the USA where everyone is out to screw me with predatory capitalism.
Do I understand you correctly that you think the USA is still the center of the universe?
I got news for you: it is not.

Why not start using and enjoying your KP instead of worrying about extended warranty that you will not need anyway?

Congratulations on your decision to buy the KP and not waiting for the new Kx.

PaulF
11-30-2019, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Do I understand you correctly that you think the USA is still the center of the universe?

Why not start using and enjoying your KP instead of worrying about extended warranty that you will not need anyway?

Congratulations on your decision to buy the KP and not waiting for the new Kx.
I don't for one moment think the OP was suggesting the USA is the centre of the universe... Only that the Ricoh in the USA doesn't warranty as long as Europe. At least, that's how it came across to me

As for extended warranties, it's a very individual thing. A lot of K-30 and K-50 owners wished they had extended warranties, that's for sure.

Whilst the KP has so far proven extremely reliable, there's no such thing as 100% reliability. Personally, I take my chances with gear... I go with whatever warranty is provided as standard, and work on the basis that if servicing or repair is required outside of that warranty, I might be better off replacing with used equipment, or simply buying new again. But that's not something everyone is comfortable with, and I understand that...
11-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, you do not understand me correctly, and I don't know what you are talking about really.
11-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have no idea why you are bringing this up. The OP lives in the USA and bought a camera in their home country. Any warranties are therefore based on whatever Ricoh's policies are in the USA.

Other nations are irrelevant to this thread. It's not a competition.
11-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Awesome