Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bulb mode confusion??

I haven't used my wireless radio remote shutter release for six months or more in bulb mode but when I tried it today it would only trigger the shutter with two pushes of the remote instead of my usual push and release method. I had bulb mode set up for option one which is push hold then release. It also reacts the same way with the hand set wired direct. I thought I had a bad hand set but I tried the IR Remote and it behaved the same way. Now I'm wondering if I have a setting somewhere in the Menu I can't track down?

Anybody have any ideas??

12-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you use M.UP (mirror up) by any chance (first push to open the mirror, second one to release the shutter)?
12-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Did you use M.UP (mirror up) by any chance (first push to open the mirror, second one to release the shutter)?
Not in this case I have a user mode setup to use A/F 1 which is the body shutter button with bulb mode since I use back button focus. I'm using a work around which is Bulb mode two which allows shutter open and A/F on first push and then shutter close on second push. Very strange behavior in Bulb Made 1??
12-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'm using a work around which is Bulb mode two which allows shutter open and A/F on first push and then shutter close on second push. Very strange behavior in Bulb Made 1??
Excuse me for being a little confused. The remote release port works according to the same rules as the main shutter button. It makes no difference whether the trigger used is RF or hard-wired. The action performed depends on setting and camera "state".

Behavior of the IR remote depends on the device used. Are you using a Pentax-brand remote?

Steve

12-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Excuse me for being a little confused. The remote release port works according to the same rules as the main shutter button. It makes no difference whether the trigger used is RF or hard-wired. The action performed depends on setting and camera "state".

Behavior of the IR remote depends on the device used. Are you using a Pentax-brand remote?

Steve
You're confused???? Not as much as me! Yep I know that. Here is the deal, the body shutter button works exactly as its supposed to when in either bulb mode settings. The RF or hard wired remote when in Bulb mode 1 do not act the way the body shutter button does when in Bulb Mode 1 which should be push-A/F-Open shutter-Hold- then when released - release shutter. Instead what both do is A/F-trigger shutter just like a normal non bulb mode operation. There is no hold open when the remote button is held down like it should do. I threw in the IR remote info simply because it has the same characteristics as the RF and hard wired triggers have and in bulb mode 1 the result for each device is the same. Wonder if Firmware 1.40 is the culprit??
12-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonder if Firmware 1.40 is the culprit??
It is hard to say. I am still on v1.30 with no particular reason to change up.

The RF or hard wired remote when in Bulb mode 1 do not act the way the body shutter button does when in Bulb Mode 1 which should be push-A/F-Open shutter-Hold- then when released - release shutter.
OK...I just ran a quick test with my wired remote vs. shutter button.

- Bulb mode (set to Bulb Mode 1)
- A/F mode 1 (AF on shutter press)
- AF-S Release priority

(Note: The above, except for AF-S, are the defaults)

Behavior using the shutter button is as you anticipated with the shutter opening on press and closing on release. Switching to my wired release (LINK to Review) in immediate mode, I get the same behavior as with the shutter button.

Theories?

-- Something changed in firmware v1.40?
-- Your wired/RF remote is setup to emulate other than Pentax?
-- You are set up to require focus before opening the shutter, but focus is slow to acquire, but snaps on second attempt? (yes...I am desperate...)

Sorry works for me...

Steve
12-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is hard to say. I am still on v1.30 with no particular reason to change up.

OK...I just ran a quick test with my wired remote vs. shutter button.

- Bulb mode (set to Bulb Mode 1)
- A/F mode 1 (AF on shutter press)
- AF-S Release priority

(Note: The above, except for AF-S, are the defaults)

Behavior using the shutter button is as you anticipated with the shutter opening on press and closing on release. Switching to my wired release (LINK to Review) in immediate mode, I get the same behavior as with the shutter button.

Theories?

-- Something changed in firmware v1.40?
-- Your wired/RF remote is setup to emulate other than Pentax?
-- You are set up to require focus before opening the shutter, but focus is slow to acquire, but snaps on second attempt? (yes...I am desperate...)

Sorry works for me...

Steve
I'm leaning toward the Firmware being the culprit as the RF trigger worked as it should last year and it worked when connecting the cable straight to the hand unit last year before Ver. 1.40 firmware. Focus on the DA* 11-18 is PDQ so its not waiting on focus confirm.

I guess I'll just get used to push to open and push to close as in Bulb Mode 2. Oh well. I'm trying to remember exactly what FW 1.40 improved?
12-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm trying to remember exactly what FW 1.40 improved?
Optimized performance for the D FA* 50/1.4.

Steve

12-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Optimized performance for the D FA* 50/1.4.

Steve
Now I remember, thanks! Didn't the K-50 have the same type firmware up date for also in firmware 1.10? I'll have to look it up.
12-02-2019, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonder if Firmware 1.40 is the culprit??
Just tested my K-3 with firmware 1.40 using a wired remote. Bulb mode 1 works as advertised: push remote button - shutter opens, release remote button - shutter closes.

Works correctly for me.
12-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Just tested my K-3 with firmware 1.40 using a wired remote. Bulb mode 1 works as advertised: push remote button - shutter opens, release remote button - shutter closes.

Works correctly for me.
Thanks, Ted, I think I have my problem narrowed down to a faulty RF transmitter shutter release button. This thing can also be set up as a wired remote also. Either way its set up the problem still exists and i have contacted the seller but I really don't expect them to do anything about it.

Larry