Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the grip later if swapping batteries doesn't please you. Congrats on kp.

12-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #32
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
(I ordered the KP, in silver! Very excited!)
Glad you ordered it - you will not be disappointed (my opinion, of course).

My KP is fantastic for travel, where the high ISO capability is great for indoors and high shutter speeds with telephoto shots (all with no tripod). The resolution is far better than the K-7, with a better sensor and 24 MPixels. I also use it for astro (nightscapes and deep sky), where its noise characteristics are amazing.

Get an extra battery or 2 (I have a total of 3 batteries for it) - they're light and recharge faster than the D-LI90 of the K-7. If I shoot over about 300 pictures, I'll generally switch to a fresh battery.
12-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
The one button that I found a challenge on the KP at first was the AF/AEL button. I use BBF and always found myself pressing the green button which is where the AF button was on my K30. But I'm used to the position now and am besotted with my KP - it's a brilliant camera.
I did the exact same thing! I also want the shutter to be a bit more forward. But I wouldn't want to shoot anything else.
12-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #34

I was going to say that the alternative is to get a K-70 then wait until the new camera comes out. It's still a huge upgrade and costs less than the KP, so it makes a good stopgap. However, it looks like the OP went for the KP, which is also a good decision!

12-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(I ordered the KP, in silver! Very excited!)
Good decision. I am sure that you will not regret it.
A couple mentioned back button focus, which I use exclusively, and yes I have hit the green button a few times.
But if you haven't used it before, your thumb won't be trained to the wrong position!!

Give it a really good work out before Europe so you get to know it well.
And if you think you will need the bigger/biggest grip (hand grip, not battery grip) get that too. (unless you are lucky to be in USofA and get all three in the kit)
12-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I think the K-new will be a very fine camera. But as it is, the KP is also a good camera. Considering the discounts offered, you can weigh your options if you're willing to wait or just simply upgrade.
12-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Please help me make a decision. I currently have the K7 and have been looking to move up for a while now.

So, convince me how to spend my money.

FF is out of my budget.

So, what are your thoughts, would you wait or would you get the deal now?

Thanks!
with the KP being $696 online sales at the moment, I would not hesitate one bit to pick one up. It's light years ahead of the K7. (I owned that).
The high ISO starting at 800 and above was horrendous. For that alone, but not to mention the increase in MP, the better focusing points, articulating screen, live view / focus peaking feature...

Go for it, you will not regret it.

also: Sports/nature/night/ astrophotography: The KP is better suited for all of that over the K7. Pair it with an ultra fast SD card like the Sandisk Extreme Pro 170mb/s and you will never have a problem with the "smaller buffer" compared to the K3/K5.

Oh -> I'd spring for the grip. uses the larger capacity batteries. Invaluable in my opinion in keeping you shooting, providing convenient second battery, and a spot for a spare SD card as well.

12-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #38
PDL
Pentaxian

I was in the same position, in 2016. Should I buy the new rumored model APS-C camera or a K-3II before my month-ish long vacation to Europe.

Needless to say - I bought the K-3II. If I had waited, I would not have a camera with GPS, which was a requirement for my vacation. Geotagging by memory is a pain. As in the past when people asked my what kind of computer to buy, my standard advice. Buy the biggest, fastest machine you can get. Fill it with all the memory, storage and quickest graphics card you can. If necessary, buy a new, big monitor. Do this as much of this as you can and afford. Then, throw away all the advertisements about "new" hardware because there will something out there bigger and faster next week. However, with Ricoh, it has been almost four years since the end of the K-3II and if I had waited for the K-3II follow on - I would still be waiting. (To those using the KP - It does not meet my requirements and neither does the K-70)
12-02-2019, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #39

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Get the grip later if swapping batteries doesn't please you. Congrats on kp.

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Glad you ordered it - you will not be disappointed (my opinion, of course).

My KP is fantastic for travel, where the high ISO capability is great for indoors and high shutter speeds with telephoto shots (all with no tripod). The resolution is far better than the K-7, with a better sensor and 24 MPixels. I also use it for astro (nightscapes and deep sky), where its noise characteristics are amazing.

Get an extra battery or 2 (I have a total of 3 batteries for it) - they're light and recharge faster than the D-LI90 of the K-7. If I shoot over about 300 pictures, I'll generally switch to a fresh battery.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Good decision. I am sure that you will not regret it.
A couple mentioned back button focus, which I use exclusively, and yes I have hit the green button a few times.
But if you haven't used it before, your thumb won't be trained to the wrong position!!

Give it a really good work out before Europe so you get to know it well.
And if you think you will need the bigger/biggest grip (hand grip, not battery grip) get that too. (unless you are lucky to be in USofA and get all three in the kit)

Thank you all! Great advice so far. I decided against the second battery, for now. I'm going to see what it's like in my hands and how the life is on it out on a shoot - probably try to recreate my birding shoot I had a couple years back with the K7 and then new Rokinon. If I feel like I'm using it up or if it feels off-weighted with the lens (and the 300mm) then I'll know what way to spend my money - on batteries or the battery pack. Also, this gives me time to suss out some filters for my various lenses and a cleaning kit.

Luckily, the deal I got through Camera Canada provides the other 2 grips though most sites/brick and mortars in Canada didn't seem to offer them in box.

I'm now itching to learn more and see what it can do and I hope to post some comparative K7-KP shots if I can recreate some of the situations. IE bird eating out of my hand (in the picture forum), or whale watching. No more winging it and faffing about with it!
12-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #40

I'm standing in same situation, especialy, that about month ago my K50 has broken and repairing it will cost much more, than it is worth.
So far i bought used K5 and i'm waiting.

I would buy KP if it has GPS. But now i'm waiting for K3 successor and collecting money.
If it will not be so good, i can still buy KP, or even jump the ship ang buy something non-pentax, especially, that lately i'm starting to play with video.
But for me, 100% satisfying K3 successor would be KP + GPS + a little bit better video. I know i will not get tilt screen probably, and that's not so good, but i can live without it. BUT GPS is now must-have for me as person who travels a lot (mostly locally, but still) and geotagging my images semi-manualy is way too much work right now.

So, if KP dos what you need, go for it, it's getting quite cheap lately. If not, collect money and wait, you can always buy KP later, it will be on marke for few years i think And i'm sure you'll find some way to spend extra money
12-03-2019, 01:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I was also tired of waiting so I pulled the trigger on a KP 6 months ago. As Adam was wisely writing, you can not get wrong with bottom rock price of KP these days, and can always upgrade when Knew is out next year. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush...
12-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How loud is the KP shutter sound? My K10D can be heard at a distance, and by night or in a museum is quite annoying.
12-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #43
Pentaxian

The KP shutter sound is much more quiet, but still hearable. For your purpose it would be better to use LV and the electronic shutter, which is completely quiet.
12-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
The KP shutter sound is much more quiet, but still hearable. For your purpose it would be better to use LV and the electronic shutter, which is completely quiet.
Agree, live view and electronic shutter. couple those with a non-screw drive focusing lens are you are almost inaudible!
12-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The electronic shutter has some shortcomings with moving subjects. Anyway it is not probable I would shoot moving subjects in a museum.