Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Does the silver version create reflections in direct sunlight? This could make it annoying in street photography. Maybe also shooting animals - ehm - it could make them run away.
Not a problem. I have my smallest DSLR, the K-S2 in black, also my more full-size K-5 IIs in black. The silver KP's finish is of the more brushed, subtle non-reflective style. I've never seen any reflections emit from it.

Not likely to draw special attention. I've not seen people around me paying attention any more than with my other cameras. Not to forget the silver version has a lot of black surface as well. But of course anything all black can be drawn back into the shadows to the greatest degree for "stealth", yet many "stealth" animals have two-tone bright and dark coats.

I think it is a big bulky camera with a big bulky lens that tends to draw attention regardless of color.

12-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #62

Does the silver version create reflections in direct sunlight?
Never noticed any reflection, but nothing will be the mat black one.
12-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
My experience with silver camera bodies suggests you might also need to be mindful trying to shoot through or around glass surfaces.
Yes, the lighter color can be more visible as a reflected object when shooting through a glass surface. So can one's eyeglasses, a person with lighter complexion vs. one of dark skin, etc. I sometimes shoot roller hockey events through a glass panel, and there are a number of sources around and behind creating reflections, the camera being the least problem. My face and hands are bigger reflections. One rink has large windows at one end which create reflections behind me on the protective glass panel I am shooting through. Even cars parked outside are in the image. So shooting at an angle to reduce these reflections is the only real solution.
12-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the silver version create reflections in direct sunlight? This could make it annoying in street photography. Maybe also shooting animals - ehm - it could make them run away.
Silver cams never create reflections. I've been using chrome cams during the film days. I'd say to do street, the smaller the camera the better. People tend to look at you and be defensive when you use a DLSR in street photography. Use a point and shoot and they'll ignore you.

12-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Use a point and shoot and they'll ignore you.
I'm also less shy with a small then a big dslr... it also counts for the output quality.
12-05-2019, 02:21 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
I'm also less shy with a small then a big dslr... it also counts for the output quality.

True, DSLR has a better output. Try using smaller lens and remove your battery grip. Try to look like a simple guy enjoying himself. But for point and shoot the GR is the best street camera. But its price might kill you.
12-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #67
PDL
Pentaxian

As I recall, it was during war time that black became the standard "color" of "Professional" cameras. No one wanted to be carrying around a big shiny box that attracted attention to people with guns. I remember when buying my first SLR, the difference between the Silver "normal" vs Black "professional" was at least a quarter of the price of the body alone. All of the black cameras were more expensive than the silver ones.

12-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
As I recall, it was during war time that black became the standard "color" of "Professional" cameras. No one wanted to be carrying around a big shiny box that attracted attention to people with guns. I remember when buying my first SLR, the difference between the Silver "normal" vs Black "professional" was at least a quarter of the price of the body alone. All of the black cameras were more expensive than the silver ones.
Wow! I didn't know that. During the film days all my cameras were silver. I didn't have any qualms about it as I thought they were standard. Actually, all my cams suiting those days were given to me by my mom and my dad. I didn't have much choice as to the color. But I liked the silver in the end over black. However, the modern cameras in silver don't appeal to me. A retro would be more appealing in silver than the modern design.
12-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Not a problem. I have my smallest DSLR, the K-S2 in black, also my more full-size K-5 IIs in black. The silver KP's finish is of the more brushed, subtle non-reflective style. I've never seen any reflections emit from it.
Like a Mac surface? Actually it is not like a normal metal surface, even if it retains some reflective power. The silver KP is nicer, but I would choose a black one.
12-06-2019, 01:59 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
I can't figure out how to quote two people at once yet so I'll reply to you as I want to reply to yourself and the member who you quoted.

I'm not super concerned with the ergonomics, I'm fairly adaptable and haven't "become one" with my K7 but I'll be pushing to create some muscle memory with the KP as it has the customizable dial.

Embarrassingly, I have never used the AF/AEL button. Generally I do everything manual except in high speed situations and even then I've had to catch myself with my new DA* 300mm when it's on AF mode.

Bout time I take advantage of the features, not just the specs.

(I ordered the KP, in silver! Very excited!)
If you don't mind sharing, how much did you purchase the KP for? Was it body only? I'm curious as I was debating between a KP vs a used K3/K5iis + lenses but i'm not finding too much luck with the camera bodies. Right now, it's about a $100-150 between some of the KP and K3/K5iis bundles i've seen (used and new!). Thanks!
12-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #71

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lea828 Quote
If you don't mind sharing, how much did you purchase the KP for? Was it body only? I'm curious as I was debating between a KP vs a used K3/K5iis + lenses but i'm not finding too much luck with the camera bodies. Right now, it's about a $100-150 between some of the KP and K3/K5iis bundles i've seen (used and new!). Thanks!
It was body only, for $899 CAD before taxes. The cheapest price I've seen all year so I jumped on it.
12-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Wow! I didn't know that. During the film days all my cameras were silver. I didn't have any qualms about it as I thought they were standard. Actually, all my cams suiting those days were given to me by my mom and my dad. I didn't have much choice as to the color. But I liked the silver in the end over black. However, the modern cameras in silver don't appeal to me. A retro would be more appealing in silver than the modern design.
I hear you to some degree regarding the "modern" DSLR design as a K-5, K-3, K-1, etc. although even with those an alternate choice for 2-tone silver/black would appeal to many.

But the KP is indeed a retro design. Just look up the Pentax AF 35mm film bodies from the 1990's, specifically the ZX-5n (US number) or MZ-5n, which came exclusively or primarily in silver/black. The similarity in design between it and the KP is obvious. And those film models, the ZX/MZ series were more compact AF designs conceived as a throwback to the classic MF bodies.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-06-2019 at 03:35 PM.
12-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is more convenient to wait new year sales. People will buy new cameras for Christmas, probably in January several used “old” cameras will be sold.
12-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I think it is more convenient to wait new year sales. People will buy new cameras for Christmas, probably in January several used “old” cameras will be sold.
Yes, this is possibility. But some stores offer a 30 day price guarantee, and would refund the difference of a lower price within that time.
12-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
It was body only, for $899 CAD before taxes. The cheapest price I've seen all year so I jumped on it.
You guys are lucky. KP is still over $1000 US here.