Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Get the Kp and buy a pair of extra batteries (generic ones)
I went shooting in -6 c /20 F in Montana and never used more than one battery per day.
You'll love the third controller wheel and will get accustomed to it for when the new flagship is ready.

12-02-2019, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #17

In case my K5 suddenly dies before new APS-C machine arrives the K3 is the only viable option as I'm used to top display, DLI90 batteries and ergonomy.
12-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd be willing to bet that the new flagship will cost about twice what the KP is on sale.

I'm in the same boat. I find the KP very attractive but have held off due to the smaller battery and lack of second card slot.
However, I do own a K-3 and thus am not quite chomping at the bit. I can easily wait to see what the K-New has to offer,
and even wait a little while after that for the newness to wear off and the price come down a little. Realistically, that may
be 12-18 months until then.

The KP at $599 looks like a fantastic deal, assuming the coupon code is still valid at Ricoh. For you, it all depends how much
you need want the KP improvements now versus waiting 6+ months to pay considerably more for the then most current APS-C
body.
12-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Given its rock-bottom price right now, even if you later decide to upgrade to the new flagship, you'll be able to get most of your investment back when you sell the KP. Personally, I would just upgrade now.
What he said ^ ^ ^

Steve

12-02-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll love the KP.
12-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a dilemma. I would like to upgrade my K10D, but I am not in a hurry. I have a Panasonic G85/80 and several micro 4/3 lenses. The weak point of such a system is its performance in low light. On the other hand its movie capabilities are excellent, for its price. In perspective I see myself using Panasonic for movies and Pentax for stills, which are my main interest.
I think I'll wait for January hoping for prices drop in order to get a K-P, which has all I need. I am sure the K-new will be much more expensive.
12-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The KP is a great camera. The ergonomics are a bit different from what you are used to. It will be frustrating initially (at least it was for me) but will quickly become intuitive. I always carry extra batteries and haven't found the buffer depth a problem, as it clears quickly. If budget is a concern, I bet the K-new is going to push the $1200 envelope mentioned.

12-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
If the new camera is 6 months away..... that is over 18,000,000 heart beats that you could have used playing with your new KP...... never ever waste heart beats is my advice.
This is the best reasoning for buying new things that I have ever seen any where!

---------- Post added 12-02-19 at 04:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Please help me make a decision. I currently have the K7 and have been looking to move up for a while now.

I generally shoot sports, nature, and night/astro with some candid portrait and landscape thrown in. I never video, and I'm happy with any improvement on burst rate. I'm planning to go to Europe this upcoming spring, hopefully, and definitely have some bigger photo opportunities coming up aside from that which I'd like a new camera to capitalize on.

I'm considering the black Friday deal on the KP, but am worried about the battery life considering I do take longer exposures, burst, cold weather shots. I'm also worried about the release of the new one, namely price and date of release. I don't want to invest in a camera only to have a new release follow shortly after with improvements. I also don't want to wait too long and find out the new flagship is way out of my budget or will be out very late next year, and thus miss a good deal.

So, convince me how to spend my money.

FF is out of my budget.
I cannot find a reasonably priced used K3ii (currently none available locally, and eBay has them at $1200+). The gain in burst rate isn't enough to pull me away from the KP unless the price is lower than the KP.
I'm very interested in the sensitivity offered by the KP.

So, what are your thoughts, would you wait or would you get the deal now?

Thanks!
I upgraded from a K-50 to a KP (which was on a good deal) after deliberating about making the jump to full frame. I have really enjoyed the KP, it’s full of character!
12-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I'd get the kp, it improves a lot in all aspects of image quality and performance. I am waiting because I have a k3ii, if you're shooting sports with your k7 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by autofocus too, you'll enjoy the camera for many months before the next one arrives and your lenses may also need an upgrade to really take advantage of any af improvement it may bring .
12-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Obviously No one know when the new K flagship will come out. I expect Pentax to give out more information around CP+2020 which is the end of Febuary.
If I were you, I would get a KP now if I can find a good price or even a second hand unit.
12-02-2019, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
The KP is a great camera. The ergonomics are a bit different from what you are used to. It will be frustrating initially (at least it was for me) but will quickly become intuitive. I always carry extra batteries and haven't found the buffer depth a problem, as it clears quickly. If budget is a concern, I bet the K-new is going to push the $1200 envelope mentioned.
The one button that I found a challenge on the KP at first was the AF/AEL button. I use BBF and always found myself pressing the green button which is where the AF button was on my K30. But I'm used to the position now and am besotted with my KP - it's a brilliant camera.
12-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #27

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
The one button that I found a challenge on the KP at first was the AF/AEL button. I use BBF and always found myself pressing the green button which is where the AF button was on my K30. But I'm used to the position now and am besotted with my KP - it's a brilliant camera.
I can't figure out how to quote two people at once yet so I'll reply to you as I want to reply to yourself and the member who you quoted.

I'm not super concerned with the ergonomics, I'm fairly adaptable and haven't "become one" with my K7 but I'll be pushing to create some muscle memory with the KP as it has the customizable dial.

Embarrassingly, I have never used the AF/AEL button. Generally I do everything manual except in high speed situations and even then I've had to catch myself with my new DA* 300mm when it's on AF mode.

Bout time I take advantage of the features, not just the specs.

(I ordered the KP, in silver! Very excited!)
12-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I recently got the KP (from K5IIs) and while the ergonomics are different, I adjusted quickly. I was a little worried before I got it but now my K5IIs feels "fat" and the KP feels right. AF is a big improvement. And focus peaking for manual focus. Will be a nice upgrade from the K7 (have one of those too).
12-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
In case my K5 suddenly dies before new APS-C machine arrives the K3 is the only viable option as I'm used to top display, DLI90 batteries and ergonomy.
I had always considered the lack of a top display a real negative but within a week I can honestly say I don't miss it.The battery and ergonomics questions aren't insurmountable either.

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 12:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I had the same problem with the green button but depending what mode you're in (I shoot almost exclusively in TaV) it can be disabled.
12-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I had always considered the lack of a top display a real negative but within a week I can honestly say I don't miss it.The battery and ergonomics questions aren't insurmountable either.

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 12:46 AM ----------

I had the same problem with the green button but depending what mode you're in (I shoot almost exclusively in TaV) it can be disabled.
Hmmm, you've got me thinking it's time to investigate some of the button setting options a bit more closely.