Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
(I ordered the KP, in silver! Very excited!)
Add a silver limited and enjoy the bliss, any will do! (blacks also looks fine, but it's not the same)

12-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #47
Pentaxian

I never buy cameras at launch prices; the early adopter premium is too high. The Kp will likely remain a better value than the K-new for at least a year.
12-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Add a silver limited and enjoy the bliss, any will do! (blacks also looks fine, but it's not the same)
I DO have only black lenses, which I think look quite sharp on the silver body.

So, looking at my current list of lenses... What should be my next lens?

Current lenses:
Rokinon 16mm f2.0
Pentax 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
Pentax 50-200mm f4.0-5.6
Pentax DA* 300mm f4
12-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

So, looking at my current list of lenses... What should be my next lens?

Current lenses:
Rokinon 16mm f2.0
Pentax 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
Pentax 50-200mm f4.0-5.6
Pentax DA* 300mm f4
DA 40 of any variety! And the SMC DA 21 make for a great walk around combination. I love any of the * lenses a lot but on a budget the limiteds used are the way to go. Then the DA* 50-135, converted or with working SDM. Amazing lens on the KP.

12-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #50
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What should be my next lens?

Current lenses:
Rokinon 16mm f2.0
Pentax 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
Pentax 50-200mm f4.0-5.6
Pentax DA* 300mm f4
Very nice kit!
Looks like you're covered on most of the expected focal ranges!
I would suggest something ultrawide - maybe a Sigma 10-20 or a Pentax 12-24?
I might also suggest selling the 50-200 and go for a 55-300 to cover off the 200-300 gap you got going on.
A nice macro is also fun.. maybe a 50 macro or 100 macro?
12-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
The electronic shutter has some shortcomings with moving subjects. Anyway it is not probable I would shoot moving subjects in a museum.
you are right. There might be problems with some lightsources ...
12-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think your KP body is going to reveal the limitations of the 18-55mm kit lens. I'd sell it and get either the Pentax HD DA 16-85mm or maybe one of the DA 35mm Limited Macros if the budget can afford it. Any of these 3 lenses would be worthy of the KP. There are plenty of other options of course, but I'm just thinking of covering the focal length range of 16mm to 300mm with high quality glass.

+1 on FuzzFosters suggestion of a Macro. The 35s mentioned above are very highly rated, but may be too short if you shoot skittish bugs. I have the Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 Macro and the IQ is outstanding. As I understand it, the newer versions have the same optical formula, with the latest having improved coatings.

12-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't figure out how to quote two people at once yet so I'll reply to you as I want to reply to yourself and the member who you quoted.

I'm not super concerned with the ergonomics, I'm fairly adaptable and haven't "become one" with my K7 but I'll be pushing to create some muscle memory with the KP as it has the customizable dial.

Embarrassingly, I have never used the AF/AEL button. Generally I do everything manual except in high speed situations and even then I've had to catch myself with my new DA* 300mm when it's on AF mode.

Bout time I take advantage of the features, not just the specs.

(I ordered the KP, in silver! Very excited!)
Great! You'll be even more excited when you see it in person! I bought mine in silver in 2017 during a special price run at B&H. It is one beautiful camera!

If you often shoot JPEG images, you will find the KP's processor to produce exceptional results right out of the camera. Just be sure for one thing don't use your mode dial set on the green "auto" mode. Instead, use the "P" mode for fully automatic exposure in situations where there's constantly changing lighting. With the Pentax Hyper System, you can then override the camera's choices and set either aperture or shutter speed as you wish just by making your selection via the front or rear e-diales, then return to full Program with just a touch of the green button. Then be sure to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, which can be accessed via the info button, upon which the 4 buttons around the ok button will then be for navigation. Especially important in the most often used "Bright" category. This will provide maximum fine detail clarity in your images. Important!

Its AF is very good indeed! But of course the lens counts also.

I just use the shutter button half-press to achieve and to hold AF, so I have the AE-L button set for its labeled use. When shooting in the Manual mode, just as with your K-7, you can use the green button to instantly set a meter-centered exposure, then if you wish a different aperture or shutter speed, hit the AE-L button before selecting what you want, and the other will follow along automatically, preserving your exposure value. Very fast and efficient, and also a very fast way to take spot meter readings around a scene.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-03-2019 at 06:11 PM.
12-03-2019, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #54

I would go for a DA40mm or 21... no the 40, you can't really go wrong with any of them. Just count with the slow focus throw of the 35 macro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-03-2019, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
DA 40 of any variety! And the SMC DA 21 make for a great walk around combination. I love any of the * lenses a lot but on a budget the limiteds used are the way to go. Then the DA* 50-135, converted or with working SDM. Amazing lens on the KP.
I absolutely agree. The DA 21mm LTD is a great lens with a FL that is very versatile as a walk-around prime lens used for general photography. In silver it would be especially beautiful with your KP. But these DA Limited primes tend to hover around the $500 USD mark here in the US if bought new. One important question- are your Pentax 18-55mm and 50-200mm of the WR type having the green trim? The Limited primes are not of WR construction. I don't know about purchasing in Canada from US suppliers, only that there is a difference in currency value, and maybe more for shipping.

OTOH, right now the DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 LTD is not generally being run at any special price and going for around $800 USD, but I have sometimes seen some special sale prices come up for the DA LTDs, including this zoom lens. It features a superb build, quiet, fast AF instead of the noisier screw-driven AF of the other Limiteds, and it has WR construction. It is a vey fine lens, a bit less zoom range, but a faster aperture than your kit lens, able to produce twice the shutter speed wide open under the same lighting and ISO. It is very compact, a perfect companion to your KP, comes in silver, its balance and size seemingly designed with the KP in mind!

If you google this lens, check the Amazon listing, find the one for the silver model, which will be offered by 3rd party sellers. I bought mine through Amazon, from BigBoxSuperstore, and got a great deal way back then. It turned out fine. It also makes for a fine matchup with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 if you should ever get one.

For low budget but high quality imaging prime lenses, there are the plastic fantastics, the DA 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2.4, both very sharp lenses. The 50mm f/1.8 would be very good for portraits and for low light work. Black lenses look great on a silver KP too!

One more recommendation, for low light/fast action at closer distance or for landscape, etc. the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM is a very well-built pro-style constant fast aperture lens. Very sharp with quiet, fast AF with the KP. Remarkably low field curvature. It can provide 4x the shutter speed of your kit lens! Bulkier, of course, than the DA Limited 20-40mm, no WR, but a very fine lens, and there are some excellent deals around for it. I have this lens as well, bought this past year. When needing f/2.8 capability, it is also excellent with the DA* 50-135mm.

The far greater quality from the KP at higher ISO ratings causes all your lenses to effectively become as faster-aperture lenses, as you can increase ISO more without degrading your images, compared with the K-7.

I think you will find you've made a mistake not getting an extra battery, whether or not you get the battery grip. They are small and easy to carry, and to pop in when your battery runs low. I think you might be impressed with having the battery grip. I suspect your excellent DA* 300mm f/4 serves you very well for long range sports and other needs. I have a likewise excellent FA* 300mm f/4.5 with which I employ the battery grip. The combined weight with the grip on the KP is about the same as a K-3 II without a battery grip, yet it will then be capable of far more battery shooting life than the K-3 or the K-1. The balance is better especially when just handling the camera when not shooting.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-03-2019 at 06:57 PM.
12-03-2019, 05:43 PM - 3 Likes   #56
Veteran Member

Be careful if you get the 21 Ltd, my version seems to have attached itself permanently to the camera!
12-04-2019, 01:26 AM   #57
Pentaxian

yeap. 21ltd is great!

Anyway, KP with any of limiteds looks perfect and gives you nice results.

And I also agree that KP in silver is very tempting. I do have the black version, but since I get the silver one to my hands ...
12-04-2019, 05:08 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does the silver version create reflections in direct sunlight? This could make it annoying in street photography. Maybe also shooting animals - ehm - it could make them run away.
12-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Does the silver version create reflections in direct sunlight? This could make it annoying in street photography. Maybe also shooting animals - ehm - it could make them run away.
My experience with silver camera bodies suggests you might also need to be mindful trying to shoot through or around glass surfaces.
12-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
My experience with silver camera bodies suggests you might also need to be mindful trying to shoot through or around glass surfaces.
Black is definitely more “stealth”