Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 143
Purchase dilemma - KP or new APS-C flagship?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Please help me make a decision. I currently have the K7 and have been looking to move up for a while now.

I generally shoot sports, nature, and night/astro with some candid portrait and landscape thrown in. I never video, and I'm happy with any improvement on burst rate. I'm planning to go to Europe this upcoming spring, hopefully, and definitely have some bigger photo opportunities coming up aside from that which I'd like a new camera to capitalize on.

I'm considering the black Friday deal on the KP, but am worried about the battery life considering I do take longer exposures, burst, cold weather shots. I'm also worried about the release of the new one, namely price and date of release. I don't want to invest in a camera only to have a new release follow shortly after with improvements. I also don't want to wait too long and find out the new flagship is way out of my budget or will be out very late next year, and thus miss a good deal.

So, convince me how to spend my money.

FF is out of my budget.
I cannot find a reasonably priced used K3ii (currently none available locally, and eBay has them at $1200+). The gain in burst rate isn't enough to pull me away from the KP unless the price is lower than the KP.
I'm very interested in the sensitivity offered by the KP.

So, what are your thoughts, would you wait or would you get the deal now?


12-02-2019, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 144
Considering we know nothing of the specs or release date of the new APS-C camera, and the awesome price on the KP now, if the KP can do what you need, then you should get it.
If you like the new APS-C camera when it comes out, you can sell your KP here, and upgrade to the new camera.
If you don't like the features or price of the new APS-C camera, then hey! you've already got a new KP at an awesome price.
12-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
whammerhead's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Belfast
Posts: 125
I also was thinking of getting the KP but decided to hold out and set money aside each month in anticipation of a release of K-New June-Aug(?). There's also the possibly that the price of the KP falls as a result of the new release. I have the K-70 so not in a hurry to upgrade
12-02-2019, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,784
I'd be willing to bet that the new flagship will cost about twice what the KP is on sale. If you're fine with that, then maybe it's worth waiting.

That said, the KP is already a massive upgrade over the K-7. Given its rock-bottom price right now, even if you later decide to upgrade to the new flagship, you'll be able to get most of your investment back when you sell the KP. Personally, I would just upgrade now.

Adam Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography) server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
sergysergy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,095
If you can afford it wait for something new. If budget is tight the KP already is a great camera for 'cheap'.
12-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
kevinWE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 497
I was tired of waiting so I pulled the trigger on a KP. If you do not mind waiting, perhaps the new flagship may be the way to go.
12-02-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,671
If you need to upgrade now, get the KP. If battery life is a concern add the battery grip. Use it for a year or two and if the APS-Cs specs are tempting sell the KP and buy the new APS-C after the price has come down.
12-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,197
I have both a K-S2 and a K-5 (both don't nearly compare to the likes of a KP) and I am beside myself in anticipation waiting for the new APS-C.
I will definitely have it pre-ordered when available

12-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #9

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 307

If FF is out of your budget, then the new APS-C flagship will be out of your budget too. Moreover, the new camera will not be here in a couple of weeks. I would take the KP. It is a bargain now and it would be a huge upgrade of your K-7
12-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Madaboutpix's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia
Posts: 971
Only you can decide what is more important to you -- experiencing Europe with a new camera in front of your eye, or waiting for the latest and greatest? The KP would be a massive upgrade over the K-7 (which I used to shoot before upgrading to my K-3), although you should perhaps make sure that you like the somewhat different, less-built-into-the-hand ergonomics of it. As for the battery life issue, that can be mitigated by carrying one or two spares. You're getting a supercompact body in return. Also, consider if the K-new is realistically within your budget since a camera you can't afford will do zero for your photography. And I doubt the K-new would be even available for preorder before you're travelling to Europe.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-02-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
12-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In the Florida swamps
Posts: 576
Having done the same upgrade a while back my vote would be to buy the KP.
As Adam said it is already a massive upgrade. Crazy high (usable) ISO, much better AF, better IQ, etc.
12-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #12
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Doing my best to avoid idiots in crowded places.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,438
Having just upgraded from the K5ii to the KP I would say go for it,enjoy the massive upgrade and get out and use it!
12-02-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,976
If the new camera is 6 months away..... that is over 18,000,000 heart beats that you could have used playing with your new KP...... never ever waste heart beats is my advice.
12-02-2019, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 143
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
If the new camera is 6 months away..... that is over 18,000,000 heart beats that you could have used playing with your new KP...... never ever waste heart beats is my advice.
That's deep. ❤️ You raise a very good perspective.

It appears overwhelmingly in support of getting the KP. Great idea of selling it on if it comes to that.

Thank you, ordering one now... With an extra battery, for now.

You guys are really a great forum!
12-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Goldsboro North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,828
I would take advantage of the great price on the well-established and highly respected KP. There's always something newer coming down the road, whether it's cameras, cell phones, computers, etc. The K-new may indeed be awesome when it gets here, or it may be an incremental improvement. Who's to say? Like Adam said, you can know for certain that the KP will be a major upgrade from your K-7. Go for the sure thing now, and spend time upgrading the photographer behind the viewfinder. By the time your spring trip to Europe comes round, you'll have experience with the KP that will be invaluable. If in the future you think the K-new has enough improvements over the KP to warrant the price, you'll have options at that time. Or after reading its reviews, you may decide to hold out for the K-new II.

  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
budget, burst, button, camera, display, dslr, heart, kp, photography, price, purchase dilemma kp, rate, release
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win the new APS-C Flagship DSLR, K-70, and more - Dec/Jan Giveaway Kickoff Adam Pentax News and Rumors 241 01-14-2020 10:27 AM
Now that the new APS-C flagship is coming, anyone have thoughts for K-1 I replacement mikesbike Pentax DSLR Discussion 39 11-30-2019 11:08 PM
New Pentax APS-C flagship winner Pentax News and Rumors 5 11-20-2019 10:02 AM
Close-up Photos: New Pentax APS-C Flagship PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 6 11-08-2019 05:39 PM
Who knows the actually information about new aps-c flagship? Karen the Star Pentax DSLR Discussion 48 06-28-2019 11:15 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 AM. | See also:, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]