Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #1

New k200d: Is my body's aperture control broken?

Hi!

I am new to SLR photography and purchased a new Pentax k200d body with the kit lens and a FA 50mm f/1.4 prime. It wasn't until my 50mm came in that I realized that the aperture control on the camera when the lens is in A/Auto did not seem to work. I didn't notice this on my kit lens, but the wide aperture width on the 50mm made it painfully obvious

It would seem that the body has a problem, but it could also be my newness to the camera. Is it the body or just me?

Some specifics:
- When attaching the kit or 50mm lens, the aperture dilates as wide as it will go
- The aperture, just by visually inspecting it, does not seem to shrink no matter what I adjust it to in Manual mode. The body thinks I am adjusting the aperture and will say what it thinks I've adjusted it to, but looking at the lens itself, nothing is happening
- On the 50mm prime, the body recognizes when I moved the aperture ring from A by just reporting the aperture as "F--". When on A, it "lets" me adjust the aperture digitally, but does not really do it.
- I have tried setting the "Using aperture ring" setting in the menu to Prohibited and Permitted. It does not seem to have any effect on the problem I described.

It seems broken to me. A little confirmation would be nice before I send this thing back to Amazon. Thanks!

10-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Hi there, welcome. Have you tried taking pictures with it? I believe it remains open until you actually take the picture.
10-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, it works and you're right. I just had to look into the lens when the shutter opens. I feel like a dummy, but I'd much rather feel like a dummy and have a working set of equipment
10-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A simple check - and it helps when you want to check depth of field - is to go into the menu. Then:
  • Select Custom Settings
  • Select Preview Method
  • Select Optical Preview
To check, when you rotate the Off/On switch to the aperture symbol, the camera will stop down rather than display the preview image.

Enjoy your new toy!

10-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just to be clear, put the aperture ring on 'A' and never ever ever move it from 'A'

The aperture doesn't close down until you take the shot. Cameras have been this way for probably twenty years or so...