Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Camera recommendation, please

Hi - I would like to move back to Pentax but am undecided between the KP and the K-3 and would appreciate some input. I’m intrigued by the features and low light performance of the KP since I’m often asked to photograph events indoors in low light/low contrast situations. But lately I’ve had more opportunities to produce pet photos and would like to expand into this area as well. So I’m wondering if the K-3 is faster to focus and has a shorter shot-to-shot time when using single point autofocus. Can folks who have used these two cameras give me their input and suggestions, please?

12-07-2019, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The autofocus of the KP is leagues ahead of the K-3.
The K-3 has a (slightly) faster burst rate and a (much) bigger buffer, but that is rarely a deal-breaker.

For what it's worth, I sold my K-3 soon after getting a KP. The latter is still my only APS-C body. I have taken it to Italy as my only camera. I have shot birds in flight with it in Antarctica. On many trips I have paired it with one of my K-1 Mk II bodies. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
12-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd second the recommendation for a KP. I've never used a K3 but I do have a KP and it is an astonishingly good camera. I don't think the OP would be disappointed. I'm going to get a second one as soon as my supplier has one on one of their discount deals.
12-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The autofocus of the KP is leagues ahead of the K-3.
The K-3 has a (slightly) faster burst rate and a (much) bigger buffer, but that is rarely a deal-breaker.

For what it's worth, I sold my K-3 soon after getting a KP. The latter is still my only APS-C body. I have taken it to Italy as my only camera. I have shot birds in flight with it in Antarctica. On many trips I have paired it with one of my K-1 Mk II bodies. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Thanks for the input! The autofocus is a significant consideration for me.

12-07-2019, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A KP low light pet photo sample, ISO 6400, f5.6, 1/80

12-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
A KP low light pet photo sample, ISO 6400, f5.6, 1/80

Awesome! What lens did you use?
12-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is the side by side comparison tool set up for the K 3 II + K P + K 3

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

the op should also check the " in depth " and " user " reviews of the camera bodies

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 II Review
Introduction
The Pentax K-3 II made its debut in April, 2015 as the successor to the acclaimed Pentax K-3 flagship DSLR from late 2013. Following the "mark II" precedent set by the Pentax K-5 II, the K-3 II builds on the original model by incorporating some of the latest hardware developed by Pentax engineers. Meanwhile, the core specifications and image sensor remain unchanged.
Read more at: Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-3 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:
Pentax KP Review
Introduction
The Pentax KP is a 24 megapixel APS-C format DSLR camera launched in early 2017 as a premium mid-range model between the upper entry-level K-70 and flagship K-3 II. Three key aspects motivate the KP's design: compactness, customizability, and image quality. This makes it a rather unique offering; not since the K200D (2009) has Pentax had a mid-range model with a battery grip as an option.
Read more at: Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax KP - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 Review
Introduction
Originally announced on October 7th, 2013, the Pentax K-3 is the exciting new flagship 24-megapixel APS-C DSLR from Pentax which will be replacing the outgoing K-5 II and K-5 IIs models. This camera delivers numerous enhancements over the aging Pentax K-5 family of DSLRs, which was originally introduced more than three years ago, in September 2010. Targeted mainly at advanced photographers and enthusiasts, the K-3's improved key specifications are now on par with (or better than) those of the Nikon D7100, its closest competitor within the DSLR realm. The K-3 was launched with a retail price of $1299 in the US.
Read more at: Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-3 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

12-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cheralyn Quote
Awesome! What lens did you use?
Thanks, That was with the F 50/1.7
12-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cheralyn Quote
I’m wondering if the K-3 is faster to focus and has a shorter shot-to-shot time when using single point autofocus. Can folks who have used these two cameras give me their input and suggestions, please?
Faster Burst & bigger buffer goes to K3.
Better Auto focus goes to KP.

If price differences and 2 SD slots are not your concern, KP all the way.

With enough light, I don't see a problem tracking walking people with K3 (don't know about a cat), but low light, its autofocuse is next to useless.
Below is K3 and DA*55

Last edited by tokyoscape; 12-07-2019 at 09:18 PM.
12-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If price isn't an issue, the KP the top dog right now.
12-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

KP and no other for now. Image quality is unsurpassed by any current k- mount camera.
12-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

As far as I've read, the KP's AF is a bit better then the older K-3, but it seems like AF in the KP & K-3II perform pretty much the same. If anything, the KP might be a hair better than the K-3II, but it's probably not even noticeable.

As far as image quality goes, the KP is amazing. No other Pentax APS-C comes close to it. Not even the K-70. To me, the KP is usable to ISO 25600, while the K-70 is usable up to ISO 12800. I personally find the K-3/3II usable to ISO 12800, but both the K-70 & the KP do much better there, especially the KP.
12-08-2019, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn’t say low light Is useless to be honest. I have two K-3’s and for me they work great. One has the DA* 50-135 and one has the DA* 300 attached. AF is not superfast, but i am very satisfied with the two cameras.

The first one was taken at night and the second one in a reasonably dark patch in the woods.

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Faster Burst & bigger buffer goes to K3.
Better Auto focus goes to KP.

If price differences and 2 SD slots are not your concern, KP all the way.

With enough light, I don't see a problem tracking walking people with K3 (don't know about a cat), but low light, its autofocuse is next to useless.
Below is K3 and DA*55
12-08-2019, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to recall recently reading a post that the KP's buffer, though smaller, clears faster. The K-3 II has 2 card slots to the KP's single card slot, but it also has no built-in flash, trading that for a built-in GPS. With the KP one can add the optional GPS unit as desired. Both are very well built, of pro quality, with magnesium alloy and weather-resistant (WR) construction. The KP's low light/higher ISO performance is definitely superior.

The KP is slimmer and lighter of weight, in keeping with its design goals- a compact, lighter but pro grade body attractive for field work, a marvelous matchup with the outstanding compact Limited lenses, and a DSLR alternative to mirrorless designs, as well as a high-quality APS-C 2nd body for K-1 (FF) owners. As part of achieving that, the battery is of the smaller type to reduce size and weight of the camera. It therefore does not have the continuous shooting capacity of a K-5/K-3/K-3II before the battery runs low. But the battery is so small it is easy to carry a spare or two.

However, the KP is of an unusually modular design with its various grips to accommodate various needs- different hand sizes, working with different lenses, etc. including the optional battery grip. It can be expanded or contracted according to ones needs. With the battery grip installed, gripping surface is greatly increased, which can ease the discomfort of carrying the camera and lens around for a lengthy period. It also has duplicate controls for prolonged vertical shooting. The weight with the battery grip installed is about the same as the K-3 II with no battery grip, yet will then provide far longer battery life than will the K-3II alone. It also comes either in the usual black or in a very attractive silver/black two-tone finish. Large stores like B&H have had very good prices lately, very reasonable for a camera of the class like the KP.

If one desires the bulkier style of the K-3 II, a replacement is in the works, expected to appear probably in the earlier part of next year. A prototype has already been shown. It will no doubt include the performance advantages of the KP with yet more on-body dedicated controls, larger buffer, 2 card slots, and top LCD screen that the larger body allows room for. It will probably be introduced at somewhere around $1,300-$1,500 USD judging by historical figures for previous flagships.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-08-2019 at 01:52 AM.
12-08-2019, 02:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I've never owned a K3 but having just upgraded from a K5ii to a KP I couldn't be happier.