Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 02:44 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks so much, everyone. Your experiences with both cameras have convinced me I should be fine with either one. And beautiful examples, too! I’ll start scouting the used markets. Looking forward to getting back in sync with Pentax.

12-08-2019, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP all the way. I love my K3 but the KP image quality is better. The only down side for me is battery life, but if you buy a couple of decent spares you are golden. I personally wouldn't get the battery grip because it is ridiculously expensive and limits you to the large grip, which I don't really care for

---------- Post added 12-08-19 at 03:50 AM ----------

Look for a YouTube video by Mattias burling

Oh, and get the silver one, its gorgeous
12-08-2019, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have happily owned and shot my K-3 for more than five years now, but for the improved high-ISO capabilities alone, I would readily swap it in for a KP, even if that meant giving up the K-3's superior ergonomics and slightly better build. But more likely, I will wait for the upcoming APS-C flagship, which will likely give me the best of both worlds, and maybe a bit more.
12-08-2019, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cheralyn Quote
Thanks so much, everyone. Your experiences with both cameras have convinced me I should be fine with either one. And beautiful examples, too! I’ll start scouting the used markets. Looking forward to getting back in sync with Pentax.
you could look at spending a little money first and rent one or the other to do your own trial -

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

if you are looking for used equipment, I have always had good luck with the forum's marketplace which can be sorted by country:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

12-08-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

The K3’s faster burst & bigger buffer could be relative to how the camera is used. I have both, and used the k3 burst mode more than I do with the KP because I find it has much better first time autofocus accuracy. Meaning that feel more comfortable without using multiple frame bursts in many occasions. The KP is lighter and fits in tighter spaces.
12-08-2019, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
KP all the way. I love my K3 but the KP image quality is better. The only down side for me is battery life, but if you buy a couple of decent spares you are golden. I personally wouldn't get the battery grip because it is ridiculously expensive and limits you to the large grip, which I don't really care for

---------- Post added 12-08-19 at 03:50 AM ----------

Look for a YouTube video by Mattias burling

Oh, and get the silver one, its gorgeous
I agree, the silver one is gorgeous, and image quality is outstanding.

However, I don't consider the battery grip to be that expensive at $198 compared to about $220 for that of the K-5/3/or3II. And you are in no way limited to the largest standard grip, it is just as that it is the standard grip that properly joins onto the body of the battery grip to make it as one continuous handle. The battery grip is basically for the purposes given above. Upon removal, you can choose whichever of the 3 grips that come with the camera. If you do not require or want the advantages the battery grip affords, fine. But it is nice to have that option, and at a combined weight of a K-3II alone.
12-08-2019, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

KP for now, but I am very much looking forward to the K3II replacement in 2020...

Though I will probably keep the KP for it's small size.

12-08-2019, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #23

Photos: Albums
Can't really offer advice different than those already provided, but will offer you good luck and enjoy getting back into Pentax!
12-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me again . I do not think weight should be a big issue. The KP is 97 grams lighter (803 vs 900). But as said, i have the DA* 50-135 and the DA* 300 attached and the both weigh in around 1 kilo. 97 grams does not make a lot of difference to me. But that is me.
I think you will have a capable camera in both. If you are going second hand, as the new aps-c is expected next year, there might be some deals to be had because people are going to upgrade.
QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
The K3’s faster burst & bigger buffer could be relative to how the camera is used. I have both, and used the k3 burst mode more than I do with the KP because I find it has much better first time autofocus accuracy. Meaning that feel more comfortable without using multiple frame bursts in many occasions. The KP is lighter and fits in tighter spaces.
12-09-2019, 12:13 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cheralyn Quote
Hi - I would like to move back to Pentax but am undecided between the KP and the K-3 and would appreciate some input. I’m intrigued by the features and low light performance of the KP since I’m often asked to photograph events indoors in low light/low contrast situations. But lately I’ve had more opportunities to produce pet photos and would like to expand into this area as well. So I’m wondering if the K-3 is faster to focus and has a shorter shot-to-shot time when using single point autofocus. Can folks who have used these two cameras give me their input and suggestions, please?
From your interests I think the KP is the best choice! I'm shooting lately with this little camera and all I can tell you is that it packs an impressively big punch for its size! A real joy to use with top notch IQ.
12-09-2019, 01:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

One more vote for the KP I own for more than 6 months now. I come from a K5 ii so can not strictly compare it to a K3 though
12-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I agree, the silver one is gorgeous, and image quality is outstanding.

However, I don't consider the battery grip to be that expensive at $198 compared to about $220 for that of the K-5/3/or3II. And you are in no way limited to the largest standard grip, it is just as that it is the standard grip that properly joins onto the body of the battery grip to make it as one continuous handle. The battery grip is basically for the purposes given above. Upon removal, you can choose whichever of the 3 grips that come with the camera. If you do not require or want the advantages the battery grip affords, fine. But it is nice to have that option, and at a combined weight of a K-3II alone.
Sorry about that I should have been clearer, aesthetically you are limited to the largest grip lol. One advantage with the battery grip is that it takes the larger battery, of which I have several its still too dear for me, I only paid 540 for my KP (280 actuations, mint cond. Warranty! I couldn't believe my luck) I also like its compactness battery grip or no, its a fabulous camera