Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
k200d nowhere to be found

am looking to buy a new DSLR and have narrowed down my choices to pentax k200d or oly e-520, have tried the oly and I like it and feels good in hand but absolutely noone in southern california has the k200d in stock, have tried stores all over the area even 2 hrs drive from my house. I really do not want to buy something without seeing how it feels in hand. If anyone has an idea who has them in store please let me know else I'll just go with the olympus. I have found k10d's at 749 new with 18-55 or 499 body only but dunno about buying a now discontinued item.

10-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by deadpink Quote
am looking to buy a new DSLR and have narrowed down my choices to pentax k200d or oly e-520, have tried the oly and I like it and feels good in hand but absolutely noone in southern california has the k200d in stock, have tried stores all over the area even 2 hrs drive from my house. I really do not want to buy something without seeing how it feels in hand. If anyone has an idea who has them in store please let me know else I'll just go with the olympus. I have found k10d's at 749 new with 18-55 or 499 body only but dunno about buying a now discontinued item.
I bought mine at Calumet in LA. Give them a call they had 2 when I was there.
323-466-1238

-Yale

p.s. if you're in socal and you want play with one let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you out.

-Yale
10-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks Yale

QuoteOriginally posted by Yale Quan Quote
I bought mine at Calumet in LA. Give them a call they had 2 when I was there.
323-466-1238

-Yale

p.s. if you're in socal and you want play with one let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you out.

-Yale
thanks, I tried several different Samy's, stores, 2 Calumet tores & ultiple Ritz as well as many local non chain based places.... I'm un in Berdoo but will keep trying for another few days then have to make a decision heh
10-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dont choose olympus. I know its hard to trust someone on a pentax forum, but listen. They look like amazing cameras and they ARE, great colours, awesome feature set, but once youve bought into the system youll realise lenses are very expensive and for a supposedly open source shared system, very limited. I know a lot of people who have run into this problem and its a real shame.
If you are a serious photographer and have plenty of money then no problem, the glass is high quality and its a good system, but be careful..

As for retailers, cant help you...

10-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Can't help you with the K200D (though I saw it in a store here in Stockholm, Sweden, yesterday, but that won't help you I suppose), but one comment. Why bother over buying a discontinued camera? Most cameras are discontinued. Every now produced camera will be discontinued. Especially today when the all companies plays the game "introduce new models as fast as possible to make the customers believe they need to buy a new". In a year or so the K200D will be discontinued.
Not all cameras have been the camera of the year on three continents. It only happens once per decade: when Pentax introduced the Super A in ~1983, the MZ-5 in ~1996, and the Pentax K10D in 2007! I still use my Super A and my MZ-5! What gave the K10D all those awards are not gone so fast. And note that I'm not a biased K10D owner. I made my mind up too late (for reasons not concerned with the camera), so my K10D became a K20D. Not a bad camera either. But had they introduced the K20D later, it would have been a K10D I would have had, and I would not be afraid of buying a K10D for my back up body, discontinued as it is.
In any case, good luck! I don't think the oly is a bad choice either, but you will miss all the nice Pentax lenses...it should after all be the lenses that bring you to Pentax, not the body.
10-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks Issac

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
Dont choose olympus. I know its hard to trust someone on a pentax forum, but listen. They look like amazing cameras and they ARE, great colours, awesome feature set, but once youve bought into the system youll realise lenses are very expensive and for a supposedly open source shared system, very limited. I know a lot of people who have run into this problem and its a real shame.
If you are a serious photographer and have plenty of money then no problem, the glass is high quality and its a good system, but be careful..

As for retailers, cant help you...
yeah, I know the limitations with Olympus in regards to lens selection and cost which is why I was looking at Pentax giving me a lower overall cost of ownership but I'm hesitant to buy a camera I've not even held in hand ya know? tho I suppose I would adjust rather quickly
10-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could order one from a Ritz store. If you don't like it they won't make you buy it or charge you anything. You will probably pay more if you buy it from them but if you like it you could tell them no and order it from an online seller. I know that sounds evil but camera stores should stock cameras if they want to sell them.
10-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You could always order one from an online retailer who has a good return policy (ie B&H, Amazon, etc.). Once you get a K200 in your hands, I have a feeling that you'll not want to return it, though. Between it and my dad's Canon XSi, the Pentax feels better in my hands and the buttons and other functions are laid out well, so there won't be a huge learning curve in figuring out where everything is.

Olympus does look good, but those lenses are so darn expensive, though...

Heather

10-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I've only ever seen one new Pentax camera body (no lens with it) in a store.