Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RE: K10D few Qs

Hi guys, I have just gotten K10 and I'd like to ask few questions:
1 - Does the battery have momory effect? i.e. do I have to discarge fully to obtain full power after charging?
2 - How long does it take to charge battery
3 - how many pics on average can I take - barely any flash, some chimping, mostly AF lenses
4 - does in support power zoom on selected lenses?
That's those what I can think of now.
TIA
Peter
PS: sorry for being lazy to read manual, I'd really rather read this page

10-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do not own a K10D myself, but from things I've read about the camera, tests and just 'general knowledge' about other things, I took the liberty:

1. No memory effect. Keep it fully charged if you can, at least never leave it lying around uncharged.
2. "Until it is full" is a good answer. Otherwise, I would suppose ~two hours, probably less.
3. CIPA numbers says 500 shots, of which is 50% with flash.
4. Yes. Not the most advanced functions like tracking, but 'normal' zooming and the function for retracting the lens to its shortest length should work fine.
10-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi guys, I have just gotten K10 and I'd like to ask few questions:
1 - Does the battery have momory effect? i.e. do I have to discarge fully to obtain full power after charging?
2 - How long does it take to charge battery
3 - how many pics on average can I take - barely any flash, some chimping, mostly AF lenses
4 - does in support power zoom on selected lenses?
That's those what I can think of now.
TIA
Peter
PS: sorry for being lazy to read manual, I'd really rather read this page
Hi Peter,
1 - No you don't have to fully discharge.
2 - A couple of hours I think.
3 I don't know how many shots but I've taken about 800 Jpegs on a charge in one day. Fair amount of chimping and quite a bit of flash.
4 - Yes if you have the most up to date version of the firmware. I assume you're talking about SDM

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-21-2008 at 07:49 PM.
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
4 - Yes if you have the most up to date version of the firmware. I assume you're talking about SDM
No, he was talkking about the power zoom function. Pentax re-used the contacts from the KAF2 mount's power zoom system and used them for SDM. However, I got curious reading this and mounted my FA 28-80 power zoom lens on the camera just to see for sure. The k10d is smart enough to know that the contacts are for power zoom when a power zoom lens is attached, and zooms away merrily, eating up lots of battery power. I don't think it can use the special effects, such as memorizing two focal lengths and switching between them on a button press, nor is it capable of doing the zoom exposure effect when it zooms during the last half of the exposure to give those neat Star Trek warp lines. As my power zoom switches went the way of a lot of power zoom switches, I cannot test the special functions.

Kudoes to Pentax for keeping the function.

10-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No, however being a Lithium-Ion battery it does "age" (Capacity slowly decreases over time regardless of use)
10-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #6

Also, if you don't plan on using the batteries for a prolonged time, it's best to store them about half charged.
10-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx for replies guys, makes me wonder what for did I unpack the manual, when I get every answer (with several possible explanations) from here. Thanx to all of you...
BR
10-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, 2 more Qs:
1 - is there any function for green button outside of the P and M modes, other than be in the way just for the heck of it?
2 - on K100D you could chose wether you want continuous numbering of the pics or to start from 0 after each format. can you do this on K10?
Thank you again

10-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Damn Brit

Sorry, 2 more Qs:
1 - is there any function for green button outside of the P and M modes, other than be in the way just for the heck of it?
2 - on K100D you could chose wether you want continuous numbering of the pics or to start from 0 after each format. can you do this on K10?
Thank you again
1 - Yes, you use it for metering with screwmount lenses for example.

2 - I couldn't find anything in the menu. If you can, I would suspect it would be exactly the same on the K10 as the K100.
10-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
No, he was talkking about the power zoom function. Pentax re-used the contacts from the KAF2 mount's power zoom system and used them for SDM. However, I got curious reading this and mounted my FA 28-80 power zoom lens on the camera just to see for sure. The k10d is smart enough to know that the contacts are for power zoom when a power zoom lens is attached, and zooms away merrily, eating up lots of battery power. I don't think it can use the special effects, such as memorizing two focal lengths and switching between them on a button press, nor is it capable of doing the zoom exposure effect when it zooms during the last half of the exposure to give those neat Star Trek warp lines. As my power zoom switches went the way of a lot of power zoom switches, I cannot test the special functions.

Kudoes to Pentax for keeping the function.

Albert, thanks for the information.
10-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you hold the OK button while pressing the green button, it will return to auto ISO. Very handy little chap the green button.
10-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
If you hold the OK button while pressing the green button, it will return to auto ISO. Very handy little chap the green button.
It would be but I never use auto ISO...
10-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peter,

All your questions have been answered well, however, one more thing on the battery life and the charge indicator.
My K10D shows a full battery for most of its usage, as soon as it looses a dot in the meter, you better have a spare battery around.
I have 2 third party battries next to my Pentax one and have been travelling a lot without ever using more than one extra battery a day.

Good luck.

- Bert