Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

up grade from k20d

hi all, hope i have the right forum, i have a k20d and the k1, was looking for an up grade from the k20d , trying to find a k3ii but all i find are from japan , can anyone recommend either the KP or the k70d. thanks

12-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are a few threads on this subject here on the forum. It may help to know how you use your camera, and what kind of photography you like.

The K70 and KP are both great camera's. The KP would be considered the "higher end" of the two. The ergonomics are very different as well. I chose the KP for its better AF, quieter shutter, and slightly better high ISO performance. Plus it has some magical character to it.
12-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you liked K20D especially for the bulky effect, K3ii may be better as KP and K70 are definitely slimmer.
There are great bargains at the moment for both bodies, K70 and KP, any pick between the two being a huge upgrade to K20D in terms of image quality and AF (not in terms of battery life though)
12-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have just recently been testing a K-70 for fun (bought it in a lot for the lens it came with) and have been very impressed. I love the K-3, and you really can't go wrong there, but the K-70 feels way more modern with the high ISO performance especially. That means a lot to me since I shoot in low light often. I like the body design of the K-3 better, but if you're coming from the K20D either are going to be a change in layout.

Not sure how the KP and K70 compare and the exact feature differences between them, but I am now convinced that the K70 is a great deal for performance/cost ratio, way better than I thought. It's worth looking into, especially if you have a tight budget and could use that extra cash to get a lens

12-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I forgot to add that you shall check marketplace and price watch sections here at pentaxforums. You will see very well priced opportunities for both bodies
12-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the major stores (Adorama, B&H Photo and Video, KEH.com, MPB.com) have used K-3 models for sale. Not the K-3 II though, people have been hanging on to those. The image quality will mostly be the same, except for pixel shift in the K-3 II. The K-3 will have a build in flash, which the K-3 II does not. And the K-3 II has the GPS instead.

The KP and K-70 will have even better image quality as stated - in higher ISOs basically. Up to ISO 1600 the K-3 should have the same great IQ. And the K-3 will have more of the "pro body" feel like the K20D that you are used to. Not that the K-70 and KP are bad, they're still enjoyable to use, especially the KP from what I hear!
12-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
hi all, hope i have the right forum, i have a k20d and the k1, was looking for an up grade from the k20d , trying to find a k3ii but all i find are from japan , can anyone recommend either the KP or the k70d. thanks
Both of those are a fine upgrade from the K20D. If you want to save some cash, I'd also look at possibly getting a used original K-3. The K-3 has a similar feel to the K20D in terms of weight, but is much improved and still holds its own. It loses out to the KP in terms of AF performance and low light IQ, but both of those are still very good compared to the K20D.

12-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one advantage of holding out for a K-3 or K-3ii, is the battery compatibility. The KP and K70 both us a D-Li109, while the 3's use the same LI90 as your K-1. I find it just makes it easier than lugging around two different chargers, and spares.
12-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
I have the KP and can certainly recommend it. It has tremendous image quality, a great low light ability, possibly Pentax's best autofocus, it's a joy to use.
12-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your k20d still works for your needs, you might consider using it a little longer and wait and see what the new K-APS-C brings to the table, then decide.

I have the k70 and prefer the ergonomics of it over the KP. From a technical side the KP has a very slight advantage, but it doesn't out weigh the ergonomics of the K70 for me.
12-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
The one advantage of holding out for a K-3 or K-3ii, is the battery compatibility. The KP and K70 both us a D-Li109, while the 3's use the same LI90 as your K-1. I find it just makes it easier than lugging around two different chargers, and spares.
I agree! The K-3 and K-1 are my combo, and I can swap around my 3 batteries, with one of them (almost) always fully charged when/if needed.
12-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep looking for a K-3 or K-3ii - or hang on for the new APS-C flagship. Interchangeable batteries is a bonus if you stay with those choices.