Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Regarding the screen, you can "turn it" so that the screen is in the "normal" position, right?

03-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Regarding the screen, you can "turn it" so that the screen is in the "normal" position, right?
I can confirm this. This was the first thing I did when I got my K-70 out of the box. I guess it makes sense to ship it reversed to protect the screen, but in daily use, it makes sense to have the screen visible.
03-02-2020, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Did you set "Use Aperture Ring" to "enable"?
Hi Luftfluss, you solved my problem. I scrolled though the menu and enabled the aperture ring. The aperture works fine now. I would not have guessed to do this. Thanks a million.

---------- Post added 03-02-20 at 08:24 PM ----------

Hi Serkevan, my mind only works in two dimensions. I didn't realize that I could twist the screen so that I could see the settings without opening the screen wide open. You and Luftfluss have solved my problems in a jiffy. Thanks to all who have responded to my questions.
03-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As I mentioned above, Luftfluss reminded me to "enable the aperture ring" on the K70 in order to get the shutter to work with my old 300 mm Pentax lens. When I switch back to a more modern lens the camera continues to work fine without disabling the aperture ring. Therefore, why doesn't the camera have the aperture ring permanently set to the enabled function? What's the use of disabling the aperture ring? Am I missing something?

03-22-2020, 05:20 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
in my humble opinion, good photography is a formula:

knowledge + experience + equipment

and looking at what some posters here obtain with what some might think is " obsolete " equipment supports that opinion

How about adding Creativity and Persistence? After all, you can have a lot of Knowledge and Experience, but if you just duplicate what you have learned from others you will just be "normal".
03-22-2020, 05:35 AM   #66
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
How about adding Creativity and Persistence? After all, you can have a lot of Knowledge and Experience, but if you just duplicate what you have learned from others you will just be "normal".
you can certainly add other factors if you wish

that is no problem to me

but as I stated, my opinion is the basic " formula " remains the same

but please remember that I realize that:

my opinion plus money buys coffee at the local restaurant

my opinion by itself, does not
03-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #67
Veteran Member

As I mentioned above, Luftfluss reminded me to "enable the aperture ring" on the K70 in order to get the shutter to work with my old 300 mm Pentax lens. When I switch back to a more modern lens the camera continues to work fine without disabling the aperture ring. Therefore, why doesn't the camera have the aperture ring permanently set to the enabled function? What's the use of disabling the aperture ring? Am I missing something?
I am now also wondering what benefit there might be from that. Maybe when using reversing adapters or bellows? I have no clue. Let's wait and see what someone smart knows from experience. I am still a newbie photography-wise.

03-22-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I am now also wondering what benefit there might be from that. Maybe when using reversing adapters or bellows? I have no clue. Let's wait and see what someone smart knows from experience. I am still a newbie photography-wise.
It won't be from me. I turn on aperture ring enabling when I buy a camera and have never once turned it off.
03-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It won't be from me. I turn on aperture ring enabling when I buy a camera and have never once turned it off.
Thanks Norm! Now I am even more curious why that is in the menu. Based on how little explanation is in the manuals, I am not going to try to look. Maybe it is in one of Yve's books. I may spend a minute or twenty looking there. I also set all my cameras to aperture ring enabled.
03-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I set it to Enabled and then forget it exists. Actually, my used K-1 came with the option already enabled by the previous user
03-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I set it to Enabled and then forget it exists. Actually, my used K-1 came with the option already enabled by the previous user
All my cameras were used and they all had that setting enabled already... except the K-S1 (but that one was in actuality a floor model, it had around 200 clicks when I bought it).

Like Norm, I set it once and forget it.
03-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do I need to upgrade from my K50?
Its the NumberOne camera of 2020,red ones are faster!

03-30-2020, 05:36 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its the NumberOne camera of 2020,red ones are faster!

Best Pentax Cameras in 2020 - YouTube
That's unbelievable for a discontinued camera. Maybe I shouldn't have bought a K70 to replace my K50
03-30-2020, 05:46 AM   #74
Pentaxian

That's unbelievable for a discontinued camera. Maybe I shouldn't have bought a K70 to replace my K50
That video makes absolutely no sense. Your K-70 will surprise you, if in no other way just the resolution you keep when cropping an image.

That person just doesn't know Pentax.

Last edited by normhead; 03-30-2020 at 06:12 AM.
03-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That video makes absolutely no sense. Your K-70 will surprise you, if in no other way just the resolution you keep when cropping an image.

That person just doesn't know Pentax.
Thanks a lot Normhead, that's reassuring.