Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do I need to upgrade from my K50?

My primary camera is a K50 which is capable of taking sharp pictures. I've owned it for several years and I am generally satisfied with the quality of the photos but I'm always trying to get sharper images by improving my techniques. I have been looking at the reviews of Pentax DSLR cameras in this Forum and I find that for about $1000 the K-5iis should get better sharpness. My K50 is rated 9.4 in image quality compared to 9.8 for the K5iis. Both cameras have 16 Megapixels and the same resolution (3264x6016). Is the difference between 9.4 and 9.6 meaningful or will both cameras give the same image quality if I use the same lens on both? The KP camera is in current production and is rated 9.9 and has 24.32 Megapixels. I often need to crop my images a lot for distant shots such as for bird photography and I am wondering if the larger number of megapixels on the KP will make it outperform the K-5iis and K50 for this type of photography? The KP is also offered at about $1000 which is about what I want pay. What say ye learned Pentaxians.

12-10-2019, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep in mind that the user ratings in this forum are merely opinions from folks with varying degrees of experience and discernment.

A couple years ago I upgraded from the K-5 II to the K-3 II and gained a great degree of cropability for wildlife photos.

I noticed your location is listed as Long Island, NY, and I wonder if you are still there, because $1000 would be significantly above the current price for the KP and about 4x the price of a K-5 IIs, in the USA.
12-10-2019, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K5ii goes for closer to $300, not $1000 (the average prices on the user review page are skewed towards MSRP).
It should be barely different from the K-5p as both have the same sensor. The KP would have much better IQ, however, and has been selling for around $700 this last Black Friday.

What do you mean by "sharp" here? Since you mention cropping for birds, I assume you talk about the detail captured by the sensor. If that's the case, then the KP will definitely give you more cropping margin -although 16 to 24 MP is less of a jump than it would seem.

Lastly, pay no mind to the numerical scores of the cameras/lenses. Those metrics are quite flawed as they depend on the users' opinion and criteria; what is an "8" for me might be a "10" for someone else, or a "5" for another one.
12-10-2019, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If price is not a concern, I would go with KP rather than K5IIs. Because to crop an image, more pixel will definitely help. And check the price well before purchase a camera. I think with $1000 USD, you can buy a used K1. A KP should be lower than that.

12-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you live in the US, I will suggest you spend a little amount of $ before spending a lot

you could rent equipment and determine whether you want to buy it

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com\

the problem is that you are limited in what you can rent

none of the businesses will have older equipment like the K 5 II S available to rent

you can also go above to " Cameras " and get info on different camera bodies

[ K 50 vs. K 5IIs vs. KP ]

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-50&...s&c3=Pentax+KP
12-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Keep in mind that the user ratings in this forum are merely opinions from folks with varying degrees of experience and discernment.

A couple years ago I upgraded from the K-5 II to the K-3 II and gained a great degree of cropability for wildlife photos.

I noticed your location is listed as Long Island, NY, and I wonder if you are still there, because $1000 would be significantly above the current price for the KP and about 4x the price of a K-5 IIs, in the USA.
Hi Luftfluss, thanks for your reply. I'm still on Long Island and the prices I quoted for the cameras are those given in the Forums. I guess that the cost of the K5iis will be lower than what I stated since it is no longer manufactured.
12-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You will definitely get better images upgrading your K50. Like others have said $1000 is way to high for a K5, you can get a K3II at KEH for $599 or a K3 for $439.

You didn't mention what lens you are using but if you had a budget of $1000 I would pick up a K3 or K3II and a DA*300 F4. It's slow focusing but the images are great from it.

12-10-2019, 04:08 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

The Pentax KP is currently 746.95 dollars at BHPhoto and Adorama. The K-5IIs can be had used for about $250 as luftluss said.

The differences:

K-50 to K-5IIs - in terms of inage quality, the difference is that the K-5IIs does not have an AA filter so the images will be a bit sharper. It's also 14-bit RAW so the images will have a bit more "room" for post processing. That is it. The other differences are mainly a more pro body and some extra features that the K-50 does not have.

K-50 to KP - 24MP will give you significantly more room for cropping. It doesn't sound like much but it is. Of course your lenses need to keep up - you can't just use a low quality lens like a DA 18-55 on it, and think you can crop to your heart's desire. Newer lenses are recommended. What do you currently have?

The K3 is another option. It also has 24MP, no AA filter and 14-bit RAW so your images would improve tremendously. A higher burst rate than the KP as well. Used prices go for about 350-450 depending on the condition. That would leave room for a DA*300mm f4 if you don't have one yet, in your budget - they can be found easily right now for 650-700 dollars in the used market. You can go whichever way you'd like but that is what I would do if I were in your shoes with your budget and your stated photographic objectives
12-10-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
My primary camera is a K50 which is capable of taking sharp pictures. I've owned it for several years and I am generally satisfied with the quality of the photos but I'm always trying to get sharper images by improving my techniques. I have been looking at the reviews of Pentax DSLR cameras in this Forum and I find that for about $1000 the K-5iis should get better sharpness. My K50 is rated 9.4 in image quality compared to 9.8 for the K5iis. Both cameras have 16 Megapixels and the same resolution (3264x6016). Is the difference between 9.4 and 9.6 meaningful or will both cameras give the same image quality if I use the same lens on both? The KP camera is in current production and is rated 9.9 and has 24.32 Megapixels. I often need to crop my images a lot for distant shots such as for bird photography and I am wondering if the larger number of megapixels on the KP will make it outperform the K-5iis and K50 for this type of photography? The KP is also offered at about $1000 which is about what I want pay. What say ye learned Pentaxians.
If you're looking for an upgrade mainly for image quality, I would go for the KP or the K-70, as they are a big step up (not to mention a solid value). The K-3 II is also up there.

The K-5 is fundamentally very similar to the K-50, and while an upgrade, I'm not sure if would be worth the money in light of the available alternatives (especially if you are mostly happy with the current results).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Since you live in the US, I will suggest you spend a little amount of $ before spending a lot

you could rent equipment and determine whether you want to buy it

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Hi Slyfox, your point is well taken. However, from a technical standpoint, will more megapixels give sharper photos if I need to crop heavily for nature shots? If so, I'll seriously consider an upgrade from my K50. I often drool when I see the pin sharp photos that my sister-in-law takes of distant images with her $2000 CanonEOS.
12-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Luftfluss, thanks for your reply. I'm still on Long Island and the prices I quoted for the cameras are those given in the Forums. I guess that the cost of the K5iis will be lower than what I stated since it is no longer manufactured.
if interested in " experienced " used equipment

don't overlook what is being offered for sale by members in the marketplace " buy/sell "

it can be sorted by country

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1
12-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-5 IIs and a K-30. I know there are IQ differences between them, but such small differences that I have not noticed them. I think I'd have to work hard to demonstrate them, and they wouldn't show up in most images. They wouldn't be worth money to me. (The big differences are the dust removal system, build, grip shape and burst speed.) I'd either look at a Kp or a lens upgrade first.
12-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The k5iis and k50 should be almost equal in sharpness. Keep in mind 2 things. First, the k5iis was being compared to the k5 and k52 or from users even earlier cameras. The k50 was compared to the k5iis. Second, the k5iis as the costlier flagship probably had owners with better lenses and k50 owners went for the lower tier and probably had lower tier lenses.
The 5iis has better dynamic range which can help but the newer models with newer tech have better resolution.
12-10-2019, 04:18 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going from a K-50 to K-5IIs won't get you much of an upgrade in IQ, the K-50 is actually newer, though a lower tier. The KP will be a big upgrade, not only from larger number of megapixels, but nearly every facet of imaging. The price of a new KP is around $750. I have a K-50 and a KP, the difference is pretty amazing. But technique is still the key.
12-10-2019, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Slyfox, your point is well taken. However, from a technical standpoint, will more megapixels give sharper photos if I need to crop heavily for nature shots?
Yes, but the caveat is you need to use good technique to ensure you are getting maximum sharpness. For example, with my K-5 II, I could usually be not careful about my technique and get sharp photos @ 400mm with a shutter speed of 1/500s. But when I upgraded to my K-3 II, I found I needed either increase my shutter to 1/750s, or be more mindful and deliberate when shooting at a slower speed.

For me, I found going from the K-5 II's 16MP w/AA filter to the K-3 II's filterless 24MP a bit of a revelation in resolving power.