Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Position of K20D AF button

I'm a frequent user of the AF button on the K20D to focus, with AF turned off the shutter button.

I would like Pentax to swap the position of the AF button and the EV compensation button next to it (the one). I don't think many of us would try to use the EV button while shooting, not to the same extent as focussing anyway, and I find that I when using the AF button where it is I can't grip the camera so well, whereas having the AF button further up the body would allow a better grip. When I'm shooting a game my thumb is on that AF button near permanently, and it's just not quite in the right place.

Anyone else agree?

10-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the AF button where it is. I use it and the EV button quite often when shooting. Maybe my thumb is shorter than yours.

It would be nice though if they were user switchable for cases like yours.
10-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It may also be that the OP does not have the grip. With the grip on my k10d, my thumb hits the [AF] button every time. I checked while I had the grip off charging batteries, and to hold the camera properly and push the [AF] button without the grip does not feel as secure.
10-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The grip does make a noticeable difference for me. I've been taking the K20 out sans grip when we go house hunting and my thumb hits the EV button. With the grip the AF button is right where it "should be".

If they had only put an AF button on the grip too...

10-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I'll second that motion! I love the ergonomics of the verticals with the grip, but hate that I cannot turn off the AF on half press when using the grip. I shoot a lot of verticals because I like the look, so I really notice this oversight. Now if I could reprogram the AE-L button to autofocus as someone else on the forum suggested ...
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I personally use the AF button to recenter the AF point, to me it makes more sense that way. I use EV quite a lot, and can easily reach both buttons, but I usually press AF while chimping, so everything's good for me.
10-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The grip does make a noticeable difference for me. I've been taking the K20 out sans grip when we go house hunting and my thumb hits the EV button. With the grip the AF button is right where it "should be".

I would like a custom function to move AF to something else because of the lack of the AF button on the grip. Looks like quite a few use the grip for the battery only, else noone would suggest the AF button is in a good spot when the grip is on

Now if only Pentax would read such threads.......
10-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How does having the grip change your thumb position? Do you hold the camera lower down?

10-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Without the grip, my hand is taller (wider really...) than the height of the K10/K20 body, so in order to get a proper grip on the camera my hand is overlapping both top and bottom which moves my thumb higher and I actually have to curl the thumb back around to come to the AF button.
With the grip attached, my hand fits "just right" and the AF/EV buttons are right at the tip of my thumb.

Last edited by Venturi; 10-22-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #10

yes, change the AE-L to AF button on the grip is the way to go. Just hope some people working in Pentax and see our feedback / suggestion on this and fix it in the future.
10-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Without the grip, my hand is taller (wider really...) than the height of the K10/K20 body, so in order to get a proper grip on the camera my hand is overlapping both top and bottom which moves my thumb higher and I actually have to curl the thumb back around to come to the AF button.
With the grip attached, my hand fits "just right" and the AF/EV buttons are right at the tip of my thumb.
Well I'm gripless () do i have that same problem, which is why I would like it moved. i can't ever see myself getting a grip as smaller is better for me. Oh well.
11-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
mfc

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Well I'm gripless () do i have that same problem, which is why I would like it moved. i can't ever see myself getting a grip as smaller is better for me. Oh well.
it would be good to move it cause i never use it!! id prefer the +- in its place ...different strokes huh
11-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
mfc

hmmm .....put the ael button where the +- is and put the +-where the af is
sorry im being cheeky lol

11-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And supply a white marker pen so we can label them after shifting them all around...