Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Almost 300 posts on this topic...amazing.

I propose that now might be a good time to start a new thread over on the medium format section suggesting that digital 645 is not the best format to own. There are multiple reasons something else might be more suitable. I don't own any of the gear, but do have experience with 120 roll film and the 645N, so that should count for something, right?

I wonder if such a thread would swell to over 300 posts over there? I think not.

Steve
And the "why I won't buy a k3" has nearly 75,000 posts so APS-C is even less best.

And being forced to buy and carry two formats is an even worse idea on costs, bulk, and weight.

As Marvin the Paranoid Android would say... "It's all the worst!"

01-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #302
Veteran Member

I like that: "It is all the worst "

It sums it all up nicely, the thread can de scrapped and substituted by that phrase.
01-05-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
And the "why I won't buy a k3" has nearly 75,000 posts so APS-C is even less best.
Hey! Be reasonable, it only has 74660 posts...
01-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #304
Veteran Member

Well that certainly is a lucky number.
How about 340 more posts to reach the target.

01-05-2020, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Summary: so, there's been no big improvements if you don't count the big improvements.

Sensor makers have added more stops of light-sensing performance in the last 15 years than lens makers have in a century. (Although I do think they've hit the limits of that recently).

And it not just a matter of higher DR and less noise at high ISO. They've also managed to reduce the amount of patterned noise to create a much more random-grain appearance.
I do think things have plateaued a bit. The K-5 was better with regard to its sensor than preceding cameras with regard to high iso performance and dynamic range. The K-1 ends up being about a stop better than that.

The accelerator cameras are "better" but not in the traditional way we usually mean. There is no more detail in the shadows than in the past, but there is a bit less noise past iso 640 or whenever it kicks in. The big push lately has been faster read out speeds to allow for higher end video -- 4K and 6K. That may be a nice thing for videographers, but it certainly is not going to allow for better big prints like biz-engineer is interested in.
01-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #306
Veteran Member

There are more ways that lead to Rome.

How about enlarging files by means of interpolation?

I am thinking of a friend who made a number of images in the days when MF digital was expensive and limited to small sensors.
The local real estate broker knew tyhe friend had a talent for photography. He asked him to shoot the buildings, the golf course, the race track for horses and the tennis courts.
My friend gave the fims to the real estate broker and wished him luck.

A week later he drove into town looked at the office of the real estate broker and saw that all the large windows were covered with 2.5 X 2.5 m large prints from his films.
The broker went to a printing company and asked to develop and print the films.
How large do you want the prints? How large can you print them? He asked for prints that could fill the display windows at his office.
The printing company enlarged the files with interpolation.

The investment paid for itself, the estate was sold within a week.
01-06-2020, 01:02 AM   #307
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
than lens makers have in a century
More accurately, relative to what Pentax progress was made on lenses.

01-06-2020, 01:39 AM - 2 Likes   #308
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
More accurately, relative to what Pentax progress was made on lenses.
More negativity about Pentax, biz? This is a trend you're becoming recognised for.

Another thread closed...
Closed Thread