Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Spongefingers, here in the US, if you send your camera in under warranty, they extend your warranty by a year from the date they fix it. So you should be ok.

Anyways, I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about... My situation doesn't happen to everyone, there were a few posters there who got their equipment back just fine. For the record, I have a long history of bad luck with repairs on ANYTHING... that's just how it goes... and from the looks of it, I wouldn't worry too much anyways, Pentax will take care of you...

10-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Just a quick note - Samsung customer service and repair are in no way associated with Pentax service and repair. Their policies and proceedures are likely totally different from what we do here at Pentax. We are are two completely seperate companies.
10-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I got my K10D back yesterday, and...

What a surprise - it's even worse than before!
I am very disappointed, but strangely not surprised. I really had a feeling this was going to happen.

My problem was a tilting viewfinder and back focusing with my FA50.
It came back with a tilting viewfinder and no discernable difference in AF performance. Still back focuses, sometimes OK(?), never front focuses.
And as a bonus, the three central AF points in the viewfinder would not light up when autofocusing. What's stranger is that today they have decided to light up now, but now I have noticed that they are all shifted slighty to the left.

Pentax UK claimed that they performed:
"SLR: Standard repair. Finder mask B, Zoom Mech"
Anyone know what this means? To me it just means "We couldn't fix your problem and didn't want to admit it, so we wrote this jargon so you would think it was OK. Hopefully you'll not notice the difference or just won't want to complain about it again."
Pentax UK has already recieved a stiff email. I may be interesting to see how this situation turns out.

Hey, at least they didn't damage it in any other way... Or did they?
Has anyone else has had these problems?
10-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
JC - I got my camera back today -- thank you for the quick turnaround. When i first got it back, I thought that it wasn't focusing correctly still, but after some more test shots, it's much more consistent, though there are a few that come out a little wack, but nothing like before.

I think part of it is that when you're at f/2.0 or less, or even f/2.8 for that matter, the DOF is so exaggerated that I don't really expect it to be spot on every time. At least I don't think I should... I'd be curious to see what others thoughts are on this.

Last edited by mitchkramez; 10-24-2008 at 11:49 AM.
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It looks like we're gonna have a problem here - I am not the JC that is being referred to above.

On the other hand - I'm in GREAT company. Welcome JC from Pentax - does this mean Pentax is now "officially" monitoring the Best english-speaking (and sometimes francaise) Pentax Forum on earth.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 10-24-2008 at 12:38 PM.
10-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #21

It's really good to see JCPENTAX's help on this issue.
It's great to know that besides Ned, there are some other people from Pentax reading the online forum and help to resolve customers' issues.

With such customer service, I would definitely stay with Pentax since the current Pentax products could satisfy most of what I really need (however, I still hope the low light AF ability could be improved in the next Pentax DSLR body).
Thanks...
10-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Samsung service good/bad?

My comments of Samsung service are an ongoing post by me documenting my service experience with Samsung and the repair of my GX10. Pentax and Samsung are for sure not the same company. This is for persons who own Samsung dSLRs or are thinking of buying Samsung versus Pentax, that's why the post is also here in the Pentax side, its info for all.

I probably should have went Pentax. I called today to see if my GX10 is out of quality control and shipped. They transferred me to executive service. The executive representative had never heard of quality control on an exchange, I thought she did not believe me, however the lady who told me this Wednesday even logged that she told me "its in quality control", so the representative apologized and looked further into my exchange.

It seems after being approved for exchange last Friday nothing has happened because its in a assigned que, and the person is on vacation this week that it was assigned to that's why nothing has happened. Well I demanded a little more info, do they who ever they are have it? and how long? I was told the GX10 is in very limited supply and it wont be ordered until Monday when the person comes back, and for me to call back Tue or Thur for an E.T.A.. To be honest I now want the Pentax brand, and more specifically the K20. The time is right for me to sell my GX10 and upgrade to the Pentax K20, I will also buy the 2 year extended warranty for $99. That will be my smartest and best move, for my photography hobby IMO.

Because it seems Samsung wont put money into repairing your unit, I suppose it also saves time for the customer. So after a time it goes for exchange, thats where the problems can come up, and you may have to wait. So in the end it looks like this will be no faster then I have read of Pentax service. Samsung has failed my customer service standard by flat out making up stuff, I can say this because she even logged it "its in quality control" and was told thats not true, and told the person handling my case in on vacation and told they have very limited stock, cant get much worse than that; if Samsung wants my approval they had better come up with something when I call Tue Again I want the K20 so Samsungs loss, my gain in the end with the Pentax K20.
10-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mitchkramez Quote
JC - I got my camera back today -- thank you for the quick turnaround. When i first got it back, I thought that it wasn't focusing correctly still, but after some more test shots, it's much more consistent, though there are a few that come out a little wack, but nothing like before.

I think part of it is that when you're at f/2.0 or less, or even f/2.8 for that matter, the DOF is so exaggerated that I don't really expect it to be spot on every time. At least I don't think I should... I'd be curious to see what others thoughts are on this.
Its hard to draw any conclusion given the amount of info. Yes my GX10/K10 does produce more OOF shots than I like especial with smaller apertures f2.8 is the smallest aperture lens with AF that I have. My 50mm f1.7 lens is a manual focus lens. But in general for sure the smaller the aperture the harder for AF, mainly because you don't know where camera is AF on, and its hard to tell with the LCD in back. OK the best I can say is with my Sigma 17-70mm at 17mm and f2.8 I don't get many OOF shots, macro or far away. However I had to use the debug menu to correct for a small amount of BF. Before I did get some OOF shots because of BF at that setting, going up to f5.6 cured it because now the DOF was deeper and compensated for the BF. Is the lens your testing one that you sent in?

10-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
james, it is the one i sent it... it's really pretty dead on...much better then when i sent it in. it still seems to have trouble when i take a a shot from a horizontal angle (for example - standing at an angle from a wall and trying to hit a very thin plane on it) -- but my son's pictures since i've gotten the lens back are much more crisp. I'm happy with the results.
10-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Repair Horrors

Last month I took my K10 in for a simple clean and inspection. It was that simple. Just a cleaning.
To my sheer horror they had the thing for about three weeks! Shrreeiikk!
I was literally without my digital camera for three weeks! Mooaaaannnn!
The horror. The horror.

Sorry. That little skit was much funnier in rehearsals and no doubt plays much better to a live audience.

But some of these stories do have me concerned in the event of future repairs. Yikes!
10-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #26

^ I understand your pain Matt.

I sent my camera in on August 25 and didn't get it back to October 27.

You really don't realize how attached you get to these things. The repair took MUCH longer than anticipated. I didn't sent it to Pentax. The place I sent it to (Precision Camera) told me initially 5 days. But then, they sent it to Pentax and we were both in the dark from there. I was actually wondering if it was going to be alright, if it was going to make it out, as if this was PERSON in surgery. But then I said to myself, "Hold on... this is a CAMERA I'm talking about!"

Really, if you play with your camera everyday, and then it needs a repair, it does feel different when it's gone...
10-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote

You really don't realize how attached you get to these things. The repair took MUCH longer than anticipated. I didn't sent it to Pentax. The place I sent it to (Precision Camera) told me initially 5 days. But then, they sent it to Pentax and we were both in the dark from there. I was actually wondering if it was going to be alright, if it was going to make it out, as if this was PERSON in surgery. But then I said to myself, "Hold on... this is a CAMERA I'm talking about!"

Really, if you play with your camera everyday, and then it needs a repair, it does feel different when it's gone...
Yep, mine went in a few weeks ago, and the first few days was hard (lol), no joke. I don't watch TV, but imagine if your a TV fan and someone took your TV for weeks, you would not be happy. I have actually started to get back into things I liked before. I just bought a bunch more tools to works around the house and that's what I do now, fix things. So I have concluded its a good thing to get the mind back in order, serious. Even my extra money went into my camera. I now see what my family has been telling me for the past year LOL. But this is fall and I have missed most of the leaves falling, not a good thing. This is one of the best times of year for outdoor photography for me. I went and got a Sony A300 to try out. The kit lens is so bad my old 2meg Kodak takes pics just as good as the A300. I printed out pics from both and no one in the family could tell me what was the better pic, they where close in IQ printed. Sad something reviews don't tell all the time.
10-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote

My post was sort of a joke. But before I dropped the thing off I was really afraid they were going to tell me four to six weeks which turned out not to be the case. They said three weeks I think and it was three long weeks.
I had grown very attached to the camera and was actually very disappointed to have to use a film camera to take pictures during that time. The first time I had pick up my ZX-50 in about 6 months because my K10 was being cleaned. The thing seemed so alien and tiny to me. I really did look for an instant view from the ZX-50 back when I made the first exposure and then laughed at my idiot self.
10-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
That response is Pentax taking the customer seriously, which is great.

I hope that if I ever need the services of Pentax UK they will be as good.
My experiences with Pentax service' responsiveness is simply bad, Pentax Germany does not answer any mails, Pentax importer in Finland does not answer any mails. I feel they could not care less for their customers...
10-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #30

If you want REALLY bad service, try Leica or the (righteously) vanished Minolta.