KP

K 3 II

K 3

K 01 [ wanted to try mirrorless ]

Z-1 SLR [ wanted to try film with my FA Limiteds and other non DA lenses ]

If I choose to get rid of something

what do you recommend

and why ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-12-2019 at 01:39 PM.
12-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 or K-3 II, depending on whether built-in flash is meaningful to you.
12-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sell the K-3. Unless you are a pro, you don't need it as a nearly identical backup. One of the other cameras would function as a backup. Maybe sell the K-3 II because it's worth more now. When the K-New has a firm release date and specs, lots of other K-3 IIs will be on the market. Then you'd have a new Kp and a K-01 backup/different. I wouldn't sell the K-01 unless you never would use it again.
12-12-2019, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well... I'm the last person that should be doling out advice, considering I can't seem to let go of anything Still, I'll give it a try...

You should first get to grips with the KP and find out if it meets your needs. It has some important image quality, performance, feature and ergonomic differences - some which you might find very positive, others slightly limiting; but this will depend on what's important to you. If you find the KP to your liking after a little while of shooting, then it's a keeper. If not, you can sell it whilst it's almost new, and get the best return of any camera in your collection.

Assuming you keep the KP (and I suspect you will), then you might consider letting the K-3 go. It's still fetching decent money in the used market, in lieu of any release date for the new APS-C flagship.

Are you getting good use out of the K-01? If not, there still seems to be demand for this body, and relatively limited supply compared to other models. Prices vary considerably, but if yours is in very good condition, you might be surprised at what you'd get for it.

As for the Z-1, it depends on whether you're going to continue shooting film. You won't get a great deal for it, so if it's a good example then it's almost worth hanging on to "just in case". But if you've scratched the itch for film with your FA Limiteds and other lenses, you might get enough for dinner by selling it - and someone else can enjoy shooting it

If I owned your set of cameras, based on my own likes, dislikes and preferences, I'd probably keep the KP and K-3II, and sell the K-3, K-01 and Z-1. But, as I've already admitted, I just can't seem to let any of my gear go. So I'd most likely keep the lot

12-12-2019, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's all you have? You're just getting started! (No help, I know. Sorry about it.)
12-12-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #6

Judging by what you have (quite impressive!!) if I were you I might think about maybe the wife or your car, or how about your first-born???
12-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Keep Z1 and KP, add a K1

12-12-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Judging by what you have (quite impressive!!) if I were you I might think about maybe the wife or your car, or how about your first-born???
wife married me Sept 7, 1991

only child born 1994, he got married 2 years ago

and all cars but one paid for

and so is house
12-12-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I view cameras primarily as creative tools.

I would keep the camera or cameras that 'work' best for you - the one(s) that you get the best shots with, the one(s), the one(s) that inspire you the most, the one(s) that you enjoy shooting with the most.

Technology is all well and good, but so-so images taken with newer technology are still so-so images. Go with your heart.
12-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The K3 and K3 are your two nearest duplicates, so getting rid of one of those would make most sense if you're looking to pare down.
I'd say get rid of the K3 unless you really like having the onboard flash.
12-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it were me I'd loose the K-3 as well. The only thing it has over the K3ii is the built in flash, and the KP has you covered there.
12-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #12

Which one do you use the least? Does that least used one have something unique about it that makes you want to keep it? Is there some benefit to keeping the K01 when your other cameras will likely give you better photos (perhaps you just enjoy using it)?
I would vote for the K-3.
12-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
that is part of the problem

the K 3 was first, replacing a K 5II

then the K 3 II joined it

I've had those for a couple of years

the K 01 arrived earlier this fall

I just got the Z 1 last week via Ebay

and two days after I purchased that

the random number selector awarded the K P to me, and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow

so I haven't had much time to use anything except the K 3 and K 3 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-12-2019 at 04:13 PM.
12-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Personally, I'd keep the K-3 II simply 'cos it's got the built-in GPS ... might come in handy some day, which, almost by definition makes the other K-3 redundant, then I'd probably try to shift the K-01, simply because I don't get on with mirrorless (specifically, view-finder-less) cameras, so, although I really like the styling I'd probably never use it. I keep my *ist film camera simply because it's hardly worth the effort to try and sell it (again), so I'd guess the same would go for the Z-1.

My KP is my current "new camera" and likely to stay as such for a while ... still getting used to all it's foibles, but it does seem superior to the K70 I used for a year, though there are aspects of both I'd choose if I had the opportunity!
12-12-2019, 04:16 PM - 7 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This summer I met a young sly fox on a drizzly day, and he smiled when photographed by my K-3 II... so based solely on that, you need to keep yours...

Last edited by luftfluss; 12-12-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Typo