Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I recently upgraded from a K100D Super to K20D. I am surprised how impressive the improvement in image quality is.

And personally I love being able to switch between spot, centre-weighed & matrix exposure metering with the flick of a switch, when using the modern lenses, rather than burrowing through the menu.

Also, the ability to effortlessly switch between AF.S & AF.C when using an autofocus lens (DA 16-46/F4).

Negatives are the really big RAW files. And now the TIFFs are so big that I get slow perfomance in GIMP when performing operations like perspective distortion correction on my 2 GB computer that were quick when performed on the K100D TIFFs.

Dan.
Ditto (except the TIFF and GIMP parts:-) . File size bogs down all aspects of processing and storage, but I'll put up with that for all the benefits...

10-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Still enjoy the K10D in dng @ 16mp

cheers
10-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #18
Ed in GA

TominJax has a K20D listed for sale. I know Tom and I've seen his camera and you can bet it's in the same condition it was when it came out of the box.

Check out the market place.

Ed
10-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
TominJax has a K20D listed for sale. I know Tom and I've seen his camera and you can bet it's in the same condition it was when it came out of the box.

Ed
Indeed, I bought his K10D 6 months ago and it was in mint condition.
If it wasn't for the exchange rate right now I would have his K20D without a second thought.

10-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #20

I also was vacilating between upgrading from the K100d to the K20d, and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. I am sooooo glad I did, due to the more user-friendly controls, accurate color reproduction, and exposure. My K100d tended to underexpose most shots and the color didn't quite 'pop' like I wanted it to. I had to bump the EV up or alter the exposure time or whatever for several shots.

Same lens with the K20d, and quite honestly, it is night and day. Plus, I don't fret quite as much when weather conditions start to go south as I did with a k100d. I still need a weather-sealed lens to feel all warm and fuzzy, but that will come hopefully sooner than later.

Hope that helps.
10-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #21

Also forgot to include: yes, I do use the 14.6mp. I tend to crop, and the extra resolution makes a difference. Good example, I went to the Colts v. Ravens game a few weeks ago, and took some shots. Not only were the pics properly exposed with good color, but I could crop to remove the extraneous surroundings (people in stands, etc.).
10-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Yes, while the 14.6 mp will be nice for cropping, the additional controls and snappiness would be more important to me. I love my K100ds, but one simple thing I'm looking forward to with upgrading is the auto-rotation of portrait oriented images.
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Just sticking to the logical and mega pixel count -

The Pentax K100D (Super) is a great camera - it's a "mere" 6Mp at 3008x2000 pixels -
printing to 200ppi (oft recommended print resolution including Popular Photography) means a max print size of really good quality ~15"x10" (close enough to 16"x12" that one would not see much, if any, difference) - this means if one's normal max print size is 10"x8" there is plenty of room for cropping - including the drastic crop of getting a vertical shot out of a horizontal one.

This is the reason why back when dSLRs first reached 6Mp - there was a big rush by the professionals to digital - 6Mp was mostly good enough for published professional work.

10Mp does show a difference over 6Mp on the screen - but it really means one should be printing a lot at 14x11 and above to truly start taking advantage of the increase in Mp.

14.6mp again should show a difference over 10Mp on screen - one's normal print size now ought to be 16x12 and above to take true advantage.....

(note in all cases I am allowing for cropping - of getting a vertical print from a horizontal shot -
full frame prints would be a lot larger - 6Mp: 15x10; 10Mp: 20x13; 14.6Mp: 23x15.5)

However for most people 6x4 is the normal print size with occassional 10x8 -
of course we dSLR enthusiasts are not "most people" -
10x8 is often the norm - stretching to occassional 16x12
Note: home inkjet photo printers are normally 8.5" wide carriage - which means 10x8 max (borderless 11x8.5) -
or the wider 13" carriage (so 16x12 or borderless 13x19)

This does mean 6Mp is adequate.......

However as others have pointed out, there are lots of other aspects that can be considered upgrades - that is really up to the individual to whether those features are really essential to them for good picture taking.

Remember years ago masters like Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa etc. used manual film cameras - which today's automated p&s digicam would knock spots off in terms of sheer features ....

10-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been shooting the k200d since June 1. I just order a k20d body. My wife will get the K200D . . .
10-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Just sticking to the logical and mega pixel count -

The Pentax K100D (Super) is a great camera - it's a "mere" 6Mp at 3008x2000 pixels -
printing to 200ppi (oft recommended print resolution including Popular Photography) means a max print size of really good quality ~15"x10" (close enough to 16"x12" that one would not see much, if any, difference) - this means if one's normal max print size is 10"x8" there is plenty of room for cropping - including the drastic crop of getting a vertical shot out of a horizontal one.

This is the reason why back when dSLRs first reached 6Mp - there was a big rush by the professionals to digital - 6Mp was mostly good enough for published professional work.

10Mp does show a difference over 6Mp on the screen - but it really means one should be printing a lot at 14x11 and above to truly start taking advantage of the increase in Mp.

14.6mp again should show a difference over 10Mp on screen - one's normal print size now ought to be 16x12 and above to take true advantage.....

(note in all cases I am allowing for cropping - of getting a vertical print from a horizontal shot -
full frame prints would be a lot larger - 6Mp: 15x10; 10Mp: 20x13; 14.6Mp: 23x15.5)

However for most people 6x4 is the normal print size with occassional 10x8 -
of course we dSLR enthusiasts are not "most people" -
10x8 is often the norm - stretching to occassional 16x12
Note: home inkjet photo printers are normally 8.5" wide carriage - which means 10x8 max (borderless 11x8.5) -
or the wider 13" carriage (so 16x12 or borderless 13x19)

This does mean 6Mp is adequate.......

However as others have pointed out, there are lots of other aspects that can be considered upgrades - that is really up to the individual to whether those features are really essential to them for good picture taking.

Remember years ago masters like Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa etc. used manual film cameras - which today's automated p&s digicam would knock spots off in terms of sheer features ....
Vincent, don't cloud the issue with facts! We want our new gadgets. What do facts have to do with it?

(I jest. Of course, you're correct. The K100D is still waaaaaaaay more capable than I am, but for some reason I felt the absolute need to move to the K10D and then the K20D. The K20D should hold me for a while, though. It's really a lovely camera. Low light capability is great, which is my big selling point.)
10-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote

Ed
I bought it!

Assuming that Tom put it in the mail today, I would expect that I would have it by Saturday. I can't wait to get it.

Definitely a sweet deal from a good guy!

Heather
10-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I bought it!
What about your 70-200?
10-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If I do get a 70-200, it's going to have to wait awhile, as I've got other priorities ahead of it in line for my money.

Heather
10-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #29

I rarely print above 12x8 but the resolution of the K20D wasn't my motivation for upgrading. I wanted the control layout, two wheels and access to nearly everything without going into menus. Weather sealing and faster overall performance (AF and FPS) were also high on my list. I also wanted good high ISO (I frequently shoot at ISO1600) which knocked the K10D out of contention.

The K20D blows the K100D out of the water resolution wise and the extra space to crop is always useful, but in the end I would have been satisfied with a 6mp sensor with shake reduction and the layout and performance of the K20D.
10-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #30

Do I really use 14.6MP? no, but it doesn't hurt.

I think the K20D is a worthwhile upgrade over the K10D, not because of the extra resolution, but because of the better high iso performance, more precise autofocus, and per lens focus adjustment. I haven't found the extra megapixels to add much value when shooting at large apertures. The extra resolution does give you a lot more detail in landscapes, and I assume will improve large prints.

I've compared prints from MPix, snapfish, and costco. The MPix prints cost the most, but they looked much better (much sharper and better contrast and color) than the others.