Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D: Do You Guys Really use 14.6

Mpixels?

Dangit, I've got Camera Envy with my K100D. I never expected I would feel the need for more so fast. I dabbled, now I think I am hooked. I'm justifying an upgrade, at least trying to justify.

It is not so much that these are even that expensive. $600.00+. That's a game-changer. For what my K100D would fetch now (I got a deal at $325.00) there is no reason to even sell it. I would do best to "give it to my daughter" and keep it as a spare.

Now: Could I tell the difference of the 14.6 Mp through, say, an SMC Pentax M 50mm / 1.4? 135mm / 3.5? 80-200 / 4.5? That is what I like to use. Would I be just as well-off with a 10 Mp? If I went 10 Mp, would I soon want more? I have taken some really nice shots, shots that I'm unlikely to revisit or shots that took some effort. I wish those prints were finer. Will I notice the resolution?

My photos are scenery, that is my interest. Maybe the kids dong stuff. I use almost exclusively M Series lenses and like it that way.

What is my best bet? K200D, K20D, or K10D?

I am thinking sucking it up, K20D.

10-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jocko_nc Quote
Mpixels?

Dangit, I've got Camera Envy with my K100D. I never expected I would feel the need for more so fast. I dabbled, now I think I am hooked. I'm justifying an upgrade, at least trying to justify.

It is not so much that these are even that expensive. $600.00+. That's a game-changer. For what my K100D would fetch now (I got a deal at $325.00) there is no reason to even sell it. I would do best to "give it to my daughter" and keep it as a spare.

Now: Could I tell the difference of the 14.6 Mp through, say, an SMC Pentax M 50mm / 1.4? 135mm / 3.5? 80-200 / 4.5? That is what I like to use. Would I be just as well-off with a 10 Mp? If I went 10 Mp, would I soon want more? I have taken some really nice shots, shots that I'm unlikely to revisit or shots that took some effort. I wish those prints were finer. Will I notice the resolution?

My photos are scenery, that is my interest. Maybe the kids dong stuff. I use almost exclusively M Series lenses and like it that way.

From all that I have read, and drooled over I must admit, the k20d is the one to go for.
10-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, if you're going to make the jump then I'd say go for the K20D. You're getting more than just 14.6MP (which is really really nice, btw); you're getting better high-ISO, a more robust set of features from bracketing to motor modes to shooting modes with interval and catch-in-focus, AF adjustment in the user menus rather than hidden in a forbidden service menu, and a slew of frilly options starting with liveview.

I had a K10D as well and loved it; only let it go because getting my lens kit was far more important than a 2nd body. But despite what some say, the K20D is a substantial leap forward in functionality from the K10D - enough so that I don't forsee my upgrading again for a long time unless I either wear my K20D out or I start doing event shooting where a 2nd body would be neccessary.

Even though some of the new functionality of the K20D is moot with M lenses, with prices as they are now the extra dose of ISO and megapixels, in my opinion, is worth it. Just make sure you've got hard drive space to go along with the 24MB RAW files you're gonna be making.
10-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jocko_nc Quote
Mpixels?

My Epson prints at 360DPI, so the K20 nicely goves me an 8x10/8x12 print without image interpolation. I make a lot of 8x10 inch prints, so this makes me happy.

If your print sizes stay within the limits of theK10's native resolution, then I don't really think you will see a difference in resolution.
If you are shooting static scenes, then a very good way to increase resolution is through image stitching. Typically, this is done to increase the length of panoramic pictures, but there is no reason to limit the technique to that.

However, there is more to this than mere megapixies. The sensors are very different on the K10 and K20. I think the K20 images are more photographic looking, for lack of a better descriptive.
I do like the look of the pictures from the K20 more.

10-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I switched from the k100d to the k200d in just a month, the latter had 4 more MPs and it makes a big difference when cropping photos (see pics below) and still keeping decent resolution, I'd love to have a K20 also and the sharpness would even be greater in crops along with the higher ISO settings. But I think I'll wait until Pentax comes out with a model like the Nikon D90 that has everything the K20 has along with HD video...K40?

10-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

k10d is a fine camera but personally the k20d is worth the extra money
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I recently upgraded from a K100D Super to K20D. I am surprised how impressive the improvement in image quality is.

And personally I love being able to switch between spot, centre-weighed & matrix exposure metering with the flick of a switch, when using the modern lenses, rather than burrowing through the menu.

Also, the ability to effortlessly switch between AF.S & AF.C when using an autofocus lens (DA 16-46/F4).

Negatives are the really big RAW files. And now the TIFFs are so big that I get slow perfomance in GIMP when performing operations like perspective distortion correction on my 2 GB computer that were quick when performed on the K100D TIFFs.

Dan.

10-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

I went against advices and upgraded from K100 to K10. Why? I simply can't justify spending more than half of my monthly wages for new camera (which at the moment is for hobby only). And I really don't think that K20 offers anything that K10 doesn't already have and I would use it! After part exachange for one of my K100 (I was given £55 for body only - and trust me in London that's very good) I paid £365 for brand new K10 which made it £200 cheaper than K20.
Am I happy with my choice? Definitely. After judging all price/performance/features. I was more than happy to go for K10. This one will hopefully now last me until say K40 will come out...
BR
10-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes and No...

I actively use both the K100D and K20D in my day to day travels. With a good zoom lens, the K100D (and K110D) can sparkle. On the other hand, pair the K20D with a "Limited" lens and the results can be breath-taking. Keep in mind that it's also very easy to produce dumb stuff. It's all up to you.... not the gear.
10-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
Interesting to hear that the K20D sensor is more "photographic" looking. I might have thought the opposite would be true. ???.

I guess what I am really after is the sensor. With M lenses, I would not be using many of the advanced features. However, I easily could. Someday I might unload some of the old for some of the new. In the meantime, I think (from what I have read) I have some pretty fine lenses and could benefit from the resolution.

The computer is an issue. Those big RAW's would load up my laptop. I'd have to switch to the upstairs computer, not a rocket ship but bigger and faster than this thing. Computer power is cheap.

I don't print at home, gave that up many years ago. I send them out, with varying degrees of success. The best prints I have came from a cruise ship that had a great lab on board. Who'd have thought?
10-22-2008, 06:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
I was recommended Mpix for online prints. Any thoughts?
10-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Two thoughts

It comes down to 3 things. How much you want to crop? How big are you going to print? How much are you willing to pay for better and easier controls? If you print no bigger than 11 X 14 with very little cropping you will never see the difference between the 3.

The k20D has 2 advantages over the K10D, better high ISO and a few more MP's That will show up on 24 X 36 prints if you do some cropping. How much more those items are worth is up to you.

On line printing. Adorama does a great job and runs sales now and then that are unbelievable. I've bought a lot of 11 X 14 prints for $1.99 each. Last month they were selling 8 X 10 prints for $.99 each. They have even run sales on 16 X 20 for less than $7.00 each and the ones I've bought are stunning. I need to also add their customer service is just outstanding.

BTW, if you decide to go with the K20D you should check this thread out.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/39757-mark-up-cameras.html

I'm not recommending them but the reports on them look OK and the price is as low as I've seen.

One final thought. I would not be surprised to see a rebate before Christmas.

Ken

Last edited by regken; 10-22-2008 at 07:53 AM.
10-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #13

Original Poster
Or right after Christmas... If sales look slow, they will certainly rebate going into it.

Cropping is a good thing to be able to do. On the 6.1 Mp, it shows the resolution for sure.

K20D sounds like the way to go.
10-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes absolutely....
10-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The cropability is a biggie for me doing some sports shots (as well as TAv mode), being able to crop and still have the equivalent of a 6mp picture is great.